Cloudiness on driver door paint?

Seandingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CBP CTR, 2010 Accord
Country flag
Hi guys, so I've had my FK8 for one week and was finally able to take it to the detailer to get PPF and ceramic done. The detailer was able to wash the car but discovered a layer of ...something... on the driver side door. Did anyone have this on their car and know what it is? This car was shipped and was filthy when I got it so we didn't catch it until now.

Honda Civic 10th gen Cloudiness on driver door paint? Resized_20200925_103007
Sponsored

CanadaCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type R (CW)
Country flag
Is this before or after the detail shop did a full paint decontamination and at least a stage 1 power polish? They need to do that before putting on the film anyway.

To me that just looks like stubborn dirt or oxidization. It also looks a bit like clear coat failure, but I can't imagine that would happen on a brand new vehicle that presumably passed inspection. These cars go though a lot of open-air shipping to get to North America, could be any number of things.

I suspect a proper polish (which they should be doing anyway as part of the price for your PPF/ceramic installation) will take it out unless the clear is actually damaged somehow (Unlikely).

OP
OP

Seandingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CBP CTR, 2010 Accord
Country flag
Is this before or after the detail shop did a full paint decontamination and at least a stage 1 power polish? They need to do that before putting on the film anyway.

To me that just looks like stubborn dirt or oxidization. It also looks a bit like clear coat failure, but I can't imagine that would happen on a brand new vehicle that presumably passed inspection. These cars go though a lot of open-air shipping to get to North America, could be any number of things.

I suspect a proper polish (which they should be doing anyway as part of the price for your PPF/ceramic installation) will take it out unless the clear is actually damaged somehow (Unlikely).
Thanks for the input. This was just fresh after a wash. The guy mentioned that they are doing the polish at the spot so we'll find out shortly. I don't think this section of the car is getting the full paint decontamination (minus maybe a claybar) as I am only getting a full front PPF installation.

I am not super clear on the process but is a stage 1 polish something that is done even in an area with just ceramic and no PPF?

HustedDrums

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type-R
Country flag
It's really hard to tell from the picture tbh. Could be contamination - who knows. Car needs to be hit with clay and iron remover and see if it goes away. Then polish if it's still there. If polish doesn't work, move to compound, then polish.

CanadaCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type R (CW)
Country flag
Thanks for the input. This was just fresh after a wash. The guy mentioned that they are doing the polish at the spot so we'll find out shortly. I don't think this section of the car is getting the full paint decontamination (minus maybe a claybar) as I am only getting a full front PPF installation.

I am not super clear on the process but is a stage 1 polish something that is done even in an area with just ceramic and no PPF?
My guess is it comes out when they polish it. If not, perhaps you have a warranty claim as that is way too early for something like clearcoat failure.

If you are paying them to apply a ceramic coating on the entire car, they absolutely have to do a full paint decontamination (iron & tar remover + clay bar). If they aren't, find a new shop. Brand new cars are absolutely full of contaminants, and it will have a dramatic effect on the longevity and performance of that ceramic coating if it is applied without the proper paint prep.

This is what my car looked like after delivery, just to give you a visual of how important a decontamination is, especially before application of PPF or ceramic: https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/friendly-reminder-to-decontaminate-your-new-type-r.55202/

To answer your question, yes the whole car should be decontaminated, clayed, and polished BEFORE any ceramic coatings, sealants, waxes, etc. are applied. If you don't, the coating won't last or perform well, and every time you wash the car you will be grinding surface rust, brake dust, and rail dust into your clearcoat giving plenty of swirls. The polish is actually even more important before a ceramic coating, because it has to adhere to every single milimeter of your paint and provide protection. With film, it's going on with a ton of adhesive so it's somewhat less important to have absolutely pristine surface, but you still want it to be free of any contaminants, and if there are swirl marks, you need to take those out before the PPF or you will be locking them in forever.
Sponsored

Last edited: