racerguy180

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 Acura Integra GS-R 2001 Acura Integra GS 2014 Acura MDX Advance
Country flag
On my way to a friend's house via one of my favorite backroads, quite possibly the largest California Coastal doe I've ever seen ran out in front of me.

Luckily, the fc1 brakes very well(even in the wet).

Anyone else had any really close calls w wildlife?
Sponsored

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
In my 99 hatch I used to have, I didn't hit one but a car coming in the opposite direction hit one and knocked it up into my windshield. Luckily it didn't go through. Of course the asshole that hit it took off.

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
On my way to a friend's house via one of my favorite backroads, quite possibly the largest California Coastal doe I've ever seen ran out in front of me.

Luckily, the fc1 brakes very well(even in the wet).

Anyone else had any really close calls w wildlife?
I hit one a few months back... luckily it was a small doe and damage was minimal. We collided just as it came out of a bush on a back road, so no time to react.

There are some big f**ckers out here in the midwest, though. My boss hit one a couple years ago and he totalled his car (7th gen maxima). The whole front end was destroyed - windsheild, bumper, hood, grill, both headlights, radiator, etc.

Stay safe out there!

OP
OP
racerguy180

racerguy180

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
For some perspective, a very small mule deer or a 1yo whitetail would be the same approx size of a huge Cali coastal.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I was driving my Civic home after work on a curvy highway merge area (at about 55mph) when out of nowhere I see a deer jump over a hill and into the road right in front of me. I accelerate and swerve as far left as I can to avoid the deer.

And I mostly did. I hear a thunk at the back of my car. And I see the deer run off. I was sick to my stomach. When I got home, I braced myself for the damage to my rear fender.

To my amazement, all I saw was a scratch or two to my taillight. I think a combination of the deer's and my quick reflexes avoided a disaster.

Bail

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic si
Country flag
This was January 21st. Good sized doe was on the granny lane shoulder going right so I went left and she did a 180 back out in front of me. The week before just narrowly missed one on an icy highway in the Si.

Honda Civic 10th gen Close call with a deer 20210121_003703

Honda Civic 10th gen Close call with a deer 20210121_004757

OP
OP
racerguy180

racerguy180

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Damn, commercial accidents are a pain in the ass.

fabrizzio71

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Coupe White Orchid Pearl
Country flag
Yep, I live on a curvy mountain road. Deer like to run out often. A few months ago, one launched itself right in front of me; it was a split second clutch in brake slam, and then the deer was gone. I remember coming to a complete stop and taking a moment for my mind to catch up as it was all automatic reflex. If I had been going faster I probably would have hit it. What I have found is, if I see a deer or group of them early, I slow down and hit the horn. That gets them to disperse quickly usually. Hitting the horn has saved me a number of times.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
About 16 months ago when I had my CTR I was driving to work (yes that was a thing) and as I turned onto this back road I went around a corner and thank god the deer must've sensed me coming because it just barely got out of the way. I had no idea it was there and was going like 40 mph and I had not even a hint of time to stop. In my Mazda a few months back driving at night I was coming home from my friends house and in the center median of one of the roads around here there was a Deer I couldn't see at all. Luckily it was just out of reach otherwise I probably would've hit it.

bugboy32337

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe (MSM)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Best story I have, is when I was driving my boss's S2000, at night, on a twisty rural road.

Deer jumped across the ditch, then launched itself across the hood of the S2000.

I must have scared it pretty bad ... because it dropped a few turds at the base of the windshield!

Damn, what I wouldn't have done to have had video of it.

(not a scratch, or tuft of hair, on the car ... but it took a while for my hands to stop shaking!)

dark_knight097

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
Not me personally but happened to a buddy when we were heading out for a cruise.

Huge buck was sitting on the side of the road. For some reason right as we were about to pass it it decided to run out in front of his car.

He had slammed on the brakes so hard I could see his car do a nose dive. He managed to barely avoid it by swerving right. Still tapped its back legs which broke his left headlights.

USNengineman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Chevy Colorado z71
Country flag
Lived in Ohio for 4 years. the amount of times ive almost died by deer has hardened me to just look at them on the side of the road while driving and say "oh, a deer."
My mom hit one a few years ago and had my grandma in the car with her. She hit a deer and my grandma goes "you just hit a woof!!!" She thought it was a wolf -_-
havent had to do any hard breaking and jolting of the wheel since i got the Si, luckily! But i am about to drive from FL to NV next friday so ill let yall know if i hit a deer!!

OP
OP
racerguy180

racerguy180

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Safe travels, that's one hell of a drive!

longthaitran91

Suiton20
First Name
Long
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic si
Country flag
If it’s guaranteed you’re gonna hit the deer, go faster! All the momentum might just shatter the deer into pieces doing little to no damage to your car! ?. Just like if you if punch thru plywood hard/fast enough you won’t hurt your hand ?.
But for real, I haven’t had any close calls with any animals. If I see any around, I already am slowing down in case there’s more up ahead

Deleted User 1886347

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Oh deer. I’ve got a couple lol.
Was doing 110 km/h and a large buck ran out in front of me years ago driving in my dads truck. Landed myself in the ditch. A pack of them closely followed the buck and caused a few other cars to go into the ditch and one got nailed unfortunately.

Just a few scratches on the bumper from debris in the ditch. Otherwise all was well.

Recent encounter was a few days ago driving up to the cottage in my Si. Two deer ran out in front of me but I had plenty of time to stop this time. I was going pretty slow on the highway since I just passed an officer lol.

Raccoons on the other hand, boy. Those f**kers. I used to hit them all the time at night when I used to commute. They would stand out on the road in groups. Wouldn’t see it until the last second because it’s pitch black and with other cars on the road, can’t turn high beams on all the time.

I think in my area, the smaller creatures are more daring and the deer are learning to look both ways.:p
Sponsored