Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I'm not sure how the government would know your religious denomination.

But your license already contains, address, date of birth and name :/ and vehicles are registered to a licensed driver so they could marry the two up.
I'm just wondering whether the police in a patrol car can easily see the registered owner data of any car they pass, without any trace in the system. In the context of so called "sovereign citizens" who refuse to show their driver's license or id to the police.
Sponsored

AndyAndromeda-AUS

AndyAndromeda
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 10th Gen - Vti-LX (Australia)
Country flag
I'm just wondering whether the police in a patrol car can easily see the registered owner data of any car they pass, without any trace in the system. In the context of so called "sovereign citizens" who refuse to show their driver's license or id to the police.
yes they can look at registered owners data of any car they pass. I'd assume it has no trace. If the police were to pull you over they would still be required to do the normal checks. Because it might not be the registered owner who is driving it.

AndyAndromeda-AUS

AndyAndromeda
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Not quite, they have computers in their cars in my country also and sometimes they even run a quick check on you. However, I am not sure they can use the system 100% in all situations, for example there are mountain areas where you have poor mobile signal (so poor data transfer rates also). Or they are stopped in locations where the number plates are difficult to be seen (heavy traffic or just not a very fortunate location).
Also, in the EU (European Union) all the countries part of it need to have harmonised standards, you can't have one country that does not require paperwork and a couple of others that do, especially since people do travel very often by car from country to country.
Here the data downloads into the police car each time it returns to the police station. So no need for wireless out and about.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
yes they can look at registered owners data of any car they pass. I'd assume it has no trace. If the police were to pull you over they would still be required to do the normal checks. Because it might not be the registered owner who is driving it.
Well, they couldn't pull me over without a reason.
Internet tells me that running a license plate check on someone else is illegal, regardless of reasons. Except if you are law enforcement. If you are law enforcement, you should not be able to identify any car owner without your request being recorded. You should not be able to check who is parked at the local sex shop or liquor store (certainly not in Utah :beer:).

In some countries probably police can do anything they want.

AndyAndromeda-AUS

AndyAndromeda
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Well, they couldn't pull me over without a reason.
Internet tells me that running a license plate check on someone else is illegal, regardless of reasons. Except if you are law enforcement. If you are law enforcement, you should not be able to identify any car owner without your request being recorded. You should not be able to check who is parked at the local sex shop or liquor store (certainly not in Utah :beer:).

In some countries probably police can do anything they want.
yes the laws in Australia are different, but then our police don't shoot first and ask questions later.

Schmullis

First Name
Schmullis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
It’s not really a big deal lol. It’s not like they will arrest you. Plus I only need a rear plate
In FL, although there's only a rear plate with a registration sticker, you are required to present a copy of the registration if you're stopped by the police, or you will get a ticket. I found out the hard way by not having it in the car....

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
In FL, although there's only a rear plate with a registration sticker, you are required to present a copy of the registration if you're stopped by the police, or you will get a ticket. I found out the hard way by not having it in the car....
Btw. At least some states will accept a copy of the registration shown to the cop on the phone/tablet.

Question to the experienced:
My daughter is driving tomorrow across several states for maybe up to 10 hours and her stickers will be one day after expiration. She has already applied for renewal and can show sort of a proof of that. What are the odds she will be caught and ticketed?

SC310

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
why do Americans need to carry registration on them? This is something that baffles Australians like me. we only need a licence and the car must have both front and rear licence plates.
Because our law enforcement likes to ask redundant questions (e.g. "License and registration please") when they could just ask for our license and check to see if we're registered using their computer.

AndyAndromeda-AUS

AndyAndromeda
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Btw. At least some states will accept a copy of the registration shown to the cop on the phone/tablet.

My daughter is driving tomorrow across several states for maybe up to 10 hours and her stickers will be one day after expiration. She has already applied for renewal and can show sort of a proof of that. What are the odds she will be caught and ticketed?
If you lived in Australia, they would know you already paid it. Haha

shihabp79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R #2740
Country flag
why do Americans need to carry registration on them? This is something that baffles Australians like me. we only need a licence and the car must have both front and rear licence plates.
Yeah, but you guys pay a fortune for license plates. You have to register

Tell her to do commit egregious traffic violations, that's all she can do. Getting ticketed depends on the cop and the rules and regulations of the state and/or municipality she happens to be in.

AndyAndromeda-AUS

AndyAndromeda
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yeah, but you guys pay a fortune for license plates. You have to register
Yes and no. The cost of living is much higher in Australia, but wages are also higher.

Here is what it will cost to renew my civics registration in a few months time.

Registration fee $321.35
Traffic improvement fee $56.05
CTP insurance premium $367.00

Total fee $744.40

Keep in mind the CTP (compulsory third party insurance) makes up half of this fee but is avoidable as it's compulsory. I'm not sure if North America has something like that included in their registration.

shihabp79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R #2740
Country flag
Yes and no. The cost of living is much higher in Australia, but wages are also higher.

Registration fee $321.35

Total fee $744.40

Keep in mind the CTP (compulsory third party insurance) makes up half of this fee but is avoidable as it's compulsory. I'm not sure if North America has something like that included in their registration.
Haha, I was actually in the middle of saying something more in that quote but got distracted. Now I don't remember what my point was. Anyways, at least in my state of Texas, our registration fees are only like $80 per year so it'd take quite a few years for it to become more expensive than your neck of the woods. Our registration fees are mostly bridge and road taxes with some administrative fees thrown in.

racer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan.
Country flag
Shows ownership trail (or at least if you are not the owner, the implication is that the owner is allowing you use of their vehicle).

Plates (front and rear) are a state by state thing.. some require both.. some just a rear plate.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

Registration fee $321.35

Total fee $744.40

Well, not counting the insurance, which actually seems to be a good deal compared to the US, the registration fee translates to US$ 278. This is much, but not so horrible as it seems above.

I pay $65 in person or $71 if online. Obviously, the Australian government is 4x as expensive as American.

If I spent 4x as much money than I paid for my Civic, (which would be well over $100k) I would have a no-contest much better car. So the American government compares to the Australian government like my Civic compares to Porsche 911 Carrera 4.
Sponsored