Climate Control pass through, heat off

Ken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2016 Touring
Country flag
Hi,
My climate control is off by hitting the on/off button. I have air circulation on from outside and hit air enters the cabin? How do I disable this?
Sponsored

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
Put it in recirc before turning the system off. Not recommended for safety and comfort reasons, but that's how.

OP
OP

Ken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2016 Touring
Country flag
Safety?

I will try... Not sure how this will affect safety and comfort? I want fresh air to come into the cabin without being heated. I don't want to open windows on the freeway.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Maybe I didn't understand your issue. I thought you wanted to stop the fresh air. You just want it "cool"? This is in an 10th generation Civic? Which trim? In general, you get the car in fresh air, no fan (this disables AC even if it's set on), set the temp as low as it will go (this closes the doors that pass air through the heater coil). You should, shortly, get ambient exterior temperature air free flowing through the cabin. It may be warmer for a while while everything in the system cools down.

OP
OP

Ken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2016 Touring
Country flag
Hmmm.... Wish there was a way to completely shut off the heat. But ok.
I have a touring 2016.

Thank you.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hmmm.... Wish there was a way to completely shut off the heat. But ok.
I have a touring 2016.
What I'm telling you is that there is a way to do so. (Or should be, can't test as am waiting for car to get here, but all other Hondas I've ever owned work similarly including one with auto climate control.) If you set the T to "LO" for both sides (or if synced), and turn off the AC and the fan, it should not be adding heat. If it is, it seems possible that the airflow control doors that control airflow through the HVAC box may not be closing correctly.

The system mixes air that can pass through the heating section or the cooling section. In "LO" it should pass all through the cooling section and, with AC off, it can't cool it either. So, once any residual heat above outside air temp in the system--say it's been sitting in the sun--should be gone, and you get the effect I think you are asking for. Outside air is drawn into the car and neither heated or cooled BY THE CAR.

Maybe I just still don't understand what you are asking.

Ultrafrozen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gavnzdad
Touring here: I have NOT found a way to stop the air from being heated. I've owned about 15 other vehicles with three of them having been Hondas and have never had this issue.

At the lowest temp setting (15.5C in Canada), there IS heat coming out of the vents. If you put the temp setting in "Lo" then the AC turns on. This happens in all modes.

I like to have airflow in the cabin but was disappointed that I couldn't get better control of the temperature. I either freeze with the AC on or put up with the heat at the lowest temp setting. I end up having to take my coat off to be comfortable on drives longer than a half hour or swap between "Lo" and "15.5C".

Last edited:

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
At the lowest temp setting (15.5C in Canada), there IS heat coming out of the vents. If you put the temp setting in "Lo" then the AC turns on. This happens in all modes.
Interesting. And somewhat surprising. Our Acura TL didn't work that way, but that was a lot of revs of Honda climate control ago.

If you set the tempo setpoint to LO and then go to the climate touch screen and turn A/C back off and/or press the fan off button, does it revert the temp setpoint to 15.5C? Is it modulating the heat to maintain 15.5C? (I.e., is it regulating the heating/cooling (or not if A/C off) mix to hit the setpoint?) (Not sure why you'd want to maintain a cabin temp below 15.5C, but then that's why we moved and left winter behind.)

Ultrafrozen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gavnzdad
Interesting. And somewhat surprising. Our Acura TL didn't work that way, but that was a lot of revs of Honda climate control ago.

If you set the tempo setpoint to LO and then go to the climate touch screen and turn A/C back off and/or press the fan off button, does it revert the temp setpoint to 15.5C? Is it modulating the heat to maintain 15.5C? (I.e., is it regulating the heating/cooling (or not if A/C off) mix to hit the setpoint?) (Not sure why you'd want to maintain a cabin temp below 15.5C, but then that's why we moved and left winter behind.)

The setpoint displayed doesn't change from what it's set to. In Auto mode the system tries to hit 15.5C but even when it's -20C outside there is always a little heat output and the cabin temp is too hot. In manual mode (where I keep it 99% of the time) it should just be on its lowest setting and not heat the air. There should be more steps between Lo and next higher temp setpoint.

If I turn the HVAC off then the temp setpoint goes blank.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So you can't set the setpoint to LO and then turn the A/C (not the system, just its ability to use the A/C refrigeration) off and have it stay LO?

And in auto mode, -20C ambient, at 15.5C setpoint, the system adds too much heat and will exceed the 15.5C setpoint?

If the HVAC is completely Off and the setpoint is blank, it's still mixing in hot and exterior ambient air? (That almost sounds like a defect in hardware or, ahem, software. I guess here I'm agreeing with the basic premise of the OP: there really ought to be a way to pass through outside air with the car not trying to heat or cool it.)

I'm at a disadvantage because we are still waiting for our Touring to get made and wander its way here, so can't test my own expectations of how it should work. As of today, its build window was reported as 2/14 to 2/18. So, maybe it's been born, just needs to start the transportation process.

We run our CR-V with A/C off and the temp at minimum 8 or 9 months a year here. Won't need heat much of ever. But won't be below 15.5C ambient much of ever, either.
Sponsored