Climate Control Button Stopped Working

TinSnips

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Maybe??
Country flag
Today the climate control button on my 2016 Civic EX-T stopped working. The radio is fine and the heating was fine but I couldn't adjust the fan speed. I'd push the button and nothing would happen.

I pulled the fuse for the radio and no luck.

Anyone see this before?
Sponsored

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accord ex-l sedan, 2016 accord sport sedan, 2006 civic type r (in spain) and 2017 civic sedan ex-t w/manual transmission
Country flag
Today the climate control button on my 2016 Civic EX-T stopped working. The radio is fine and the heating was fine but I couldn't adjust the fan speed. I'd push the button and nothing would happen.

I pulled the fuse for the radio and no luck.

Anyone see this before?
Were you able to adjust the fan speed via the touchscreen after pushing the climate button? Since hmm thats were you adjust the fan speed? Post is a little vague as it make me think your pushing some other button on the climate controls and not thru the touchscree ..

OP
OP

TinSnips

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Maybe??
Country flag
Sorry if I was unclear. The problem is when I push the climate button nothing happens.

The screen stays on Car Play (or whatever) and it does not switch to the climate screen like normal. Which is really annoying because I often don't like the automatic fan speeds. I was able to do it yesterday, but when I got in the car this morning the pushing the climate button doesn't work.

OP
OP

TinSnips

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Maybe??
Country flag
I both rebooted and pulled the fuse for the radio with no luck.

I might need to see if the climate control has a similar fuse I can pull?

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accord ex-l sedan, 2016 accord sport sedan, 2006 civic type r (in spain) and 2017 civic sedan ex-t w/manual transmission
Country flag
I both rebooted and pulled the fuse for the radio with no luck.

I might need to see if the climate control has a similar fuse I can pull?
Problably something wrong with the button.. Only other thing i would do is check vehicle settings and make sure its not dissabled or greyed out.. I dont recall but i think in diagnostic mode you can check that a button is physically working or not.

OP
OP

TinSnips

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Maybe??
Country flag
Turns out none of the climate controls show up on the display. Like if I change the temperature nothing shows up. Although thankfully they seem to work. Also the audio controls on the steering wheel do not work anymore. Last the automatic dimming based on the lights doesn't work.

I'm guessing a cable is loose or something? I'll call the dealership.

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Turns out none of the climate controls show up on the display. Like if I change the temperature nothing shows up. Although thankfully they seem to work. Also the audio controls on the steering wheel do not work anymore. Last the automatic dimming based on the lights doesn't work.

I'm guessing a cable is loose or something? I'll call the dealership.
At this point something bugged the system up.. Problably needs software reinstalled... Did you mess with anything in the diagnostics menus in the past?

OP
OP

TinSnips

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Maybe??
Country flag
No - I have never touched it the diagnostic menu. I still suspect a loose cable because everything works fine except for anything external to the display (although speakers do work).

I have an appointment on Monday and will report back what it is in case someone else runs into the same problem.

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
No - I have never touched it the diagnostic menu. I still suspect a loose cable because everything works fine except for anything external to the display (although speakers do work).

I have an appointment on Monday and will report back what it is in case someone else runs into the same problem.
Please do.. I hope its as you stated and not software.. Honda is like a newborn baby as far as having so much technology in a car.. Were as bmw and mercedes were just starting out in the early 2000's.. So im fully expecting some glitches as heck, when i briefly went back to bmw in 2012 they still had cars that went completely haywire... I remember one car had everything you can think of out/not working/not displaying/doing things backwards... And when all was said and done it was a damn light bulb that caused it all

Air

First Name
Niklas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 1.0 VTEC - 2017
Country flag
Please do.. I hope its as you stated and not software.. Honda is like a newborn baby as far as having so much technology in a car.. Were as bmw and mercedes were just starting out in the early 2000's.. So im fully expecting some glitches as heck, when i briefly went back to bmw in 2012 they still had cars that went completely haywire... I remember one car had everything you can think of out/not working/not displaying/doing things backwards... And when all was said and done it was a damn light bulb that caused it all
Did you find the solution?
My car did the same yesterday but a reset of the unit solved the problem but I wonder if this are an indication of a bigger issue?

dbeer

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si sedan
Country flag
Did you find the solution?
My car did the same yesterday but a reset of the unit solved the problem but I wonder if this are an indication of a bigger issue?
I just experienced something similiar with with mine and wanted to share what i did to correct.

I have a 2018 civic si (bought april of 2018). I did some cosmetic mods and installed an acuity stage 3 shifter.

Outside of the tsb on the ac (mine failed), i have done all of the work on my car.

The other day my car wouldn't start and i jumped it. After i jumped it, it seemed to be running fine. However, i quickly realized the following. (i have disconnected the battery before when installing the acuity shifter and not had these issues).

-climate button does not launch climate screen. However, Pressing on/off climate, auto button climate in the control cluster under the screen works fine but you cant see any of this on the screen nor the temperature.
-steering wheel controls for audio do not work, i.e. volume, station, mode change (although the station change buttons work for controlling front dash info screen for non audio functions). Volume is controllable on touch screen.
-settings in head unit are limited (says cant be done unless car is stopped even though car is parked with parking brake on.)

I tried,
1) reboot of the head unit - same issue
2) disconnect battery - car went through retrain, but still same issues

My take on this was that something in the head unit got corrupted based on doing the jump or maybe the reason i had to do the jump. (Have to check my battery as its > 5 years. Seems to be holding power fine since i jumped it. )

I wanted to reset all of the settings in the head unit, unfortunately, because the headunit is not recognizing that its in a stopped state, you cant access the reset function in the standard menus.

To correct this, while in the accessory on mode, i went into the diagnostic menu in the head unit ( dim, audio power, menu or maybe it was home- i have a 2018 with no physical volume on head-unit ). Select the single diagnostic option (lower option), reset backed up settings. After this is complete, it tells you about the radio code (hold audio power for a period and this gets cleared up), then it wants to do the gps function. My car was in the garage so at this point while its in the middle of the gps function, i turned the car on and pulled outside. After this was all done, everything seems to be working fine. The whole reboot took a while to run, be patient. I think it was ~ 5 minutes maybe a little more.

Just wanted to share my experience as i have seen this posted for different models of the civic but the dealer resolution for these conditions were not shared.

Im out of warranty and didnt want to pay the $125 diagnostic fee so thought to try on my own first. Thankfully it worked out for me. If i was under warranty this would have been a dealer visit.
Sponsored