Daddie4xTypeR

First Name
Clarence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Sienna, Honda Accord Hybrid, Lexus CT200h, Toyota RAV4
Country flag
2020 Boost Blue with only 6,800 miles. I have this clicking sound when driving. I only noticed when the weather let me open my window to enjoy the “cool” fresh air.

Went to a quiet level parking lot (after school hours of an elementary school) and recorded the clicking.

Seems to be happen at acceleration and braking and when the car is warmed up.

Did the cursory thing on the driver’s side and removed the drivers side wheel and see if there were any anomalies. Nothing out of place, nothing feels loose. Nothing bent.

Took the bottom metal shield when doing oil changes and tried to look, feel & wiggle whatever I could fit my hands to, but nothing out of the ordinary.

The car is still under warranty. Has anyone experienced this and what was the root cause?

OP
OP
Daddie4xTypeR

Daddie4xTypeR

First Name
Clarence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
My car is bone stock with no mods whatsoever. I did an experiment and put back the stock wheels & tires. No more clicking.

What was on the car with the ticking was RSR Forged wheels. They are 18 x 9.5 with 255 / 35 / 18.

Turns out the issue is a self-inflicted wound. Turn out that I had my torque wrench at 74 ft-lb instead of the 94 ft-lb.

When I mounted the stock wheels & tires I noticed that my torque wrench @ 74 ft-lbs!!!!

I’ll try to reinstall the RSR forged wheels at 94 ft-lb and see what happens.

Weird thing when I dismounted and cleaned and inspected the wheels, one of the tire wheel had this damage on the inside wheel.

Looks like I ran something over. I may have been on the road to Lick observatory via Mines Rd. Nothing in any of the wheel well or components look damaged or compromised. Phew!!!

Honda Civic 10th gen Clicking sounds…what could it be 4B353C38-4582-44CA-A46B-15536E98482C

OP
OP
Daddie4xTypeR

Daddie4xTypeR

First Name
Clarence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Put back my RSR Forged wheels & torqued to 94 ft-lb. NO clicking.

Went out and upgraded my torque wrench with a digital unit that beeps when the torque is reached.

Still have my old twist-handle torque wrench. Used it to do the initial torquing then used my new digital torque wrench to validate the old one. The old twisty wrench is still good after all these years!

As for the tire damage, brought it over to the shop that I bought them from. The service Manager looked and mentioned that the damaged portions are cosmetic and is good to ride. The damaged areas are “lips”/overhangs that serves that purpose of a buffer to the more “sensitive” part of the sidewall.

bigbacon

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
Rocks stuck in the brake shield

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
That looks like the tire and rim was damaged when the tire shop mounted the tire. Suggest checking the other tires and rims. I wouldn't put that tire back on my car but best check with the tire manufacturer to see what they say.

Ducota

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si 2021 Accord Sport 2.0 2015 FiT Sport
Country flag
Looks like identical damage 180 degrees, even the width of the damage is the same. I'm with tacthecat looks they phucked up during installation. Did you inspect the other 3 wheels and tires? Cuts look so clean like man made. NO way that was caused by rock or pothole.

OP
OP
Daddie4xTypeR

Daddie4xTypeR

First Name
Clarence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
When these tires were mounted on the wheels back in June of 2020 it was all good. I brought the virgin rims to the tire store and picked it up with tires installed with my minivan to install it at home.

The rest if the other wheels look fine.

CTRDre

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R #38346
Country flag
Who does your wheels/tires rotation? They may be the culprit for the mystery damage.

Ducota

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
When these tires were mounted on the wheels back in June of 2020 it was all good. I brought the virgin rims to the tire store and picked it up with tires installed with my minivan to install it at home.

The rest if the other wheels look fine.
Sorry I’m not trying to start a fire. Was it the rear tire?

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
When these tires were mounted on the wheels back in June of 2020 it was all good. I brought the virgin rims to the tire store and picked it up with tires installed ... to install it at home. The rest if the other wheels look fine.
Are you SURE you checked the insides of the wheels & rims? Not likely but the tire "chunks" could have still been there and later "come off" while driving.

The real issue now is, in my opinion, I wouldn't trust the tire (and perhaps the rim) to be safe on my car.

OP
OP
Daddie4xTypeR

Daddie4xTypeR

First Name
Clarence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Ducota, I appreciate the dialog ?. The damage was the Driver’s front tire. Nothing feels abnormal during driving. Wheel is steady and tire inflation holds fine.

Tacthecat, thank you for the concern. Yes I did a thorough check of the tires/wheels when I initially picked them up last year. The only damage was a slight nick to the inside rim by one of the technicians. But it was relatively minor. I didn’t mind it much because theses set of wheels are the “everyday” use ones to take the abuse. The stock set, I use them this past Summer and will do that annually till they wear out and get a new set. The stock set I’d like to keep as pristine as possible for the day when I get too old and decrepit and have to sell the car.

Presently, I’ll keep using the wheel/tire. Will carefully shave the wheel to remove the burrs at the damaged areas and try to repaint them as best as I can.

Ducota

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Very fortunate what ever did the damage didn't hit anything else under the car.
Lol I did this 40 years ago driving down the 60 frwy 14" custom steel wheels CLACK CLACK CLACK
2 lugs left by the time I stopped. lucky I had a wrench and jack. Good times!!

vandalSI

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic Si sedan
Country flag
if the sound is gone now, could it have just been a rock in the tread?
Sponsored