Click Sound during upshifting

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic si
Country flag
I have heard mechanical "click sound" during upshifting on my brand new 2020 si. I found some other threads were talking about this, but not sure if the situation is the same as mine.

ONLY happen on upshiting and ONLY when the car is moving, the first sound always happens when I put the shifter into place (i.e. 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd, and 3rd to 4th), and then the second sound will come up if the clutch engagement time is not right (either too quick or too slow), if the engagement time is proper, I won't hear the second sound.

If the car is not moving, I won't hear the sound at all when moving the shifter.

If the car is moving, even I just press and hold the clutch (not release it), and then moving the shifter upshift (1-2, 2-3, 3-4), I will also hear the sound, but no sound if i move the shifter downshift, or jump between 1 to 3, or 2 to 4.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored

blinkz0rz

First Name
Jrod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FC1 Civic Si, 1997 Dodge Dakota, 1972 Plymouth Roadrunner 440, 2010 JKU Jeep Wrangler
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The shifter box is plastic, and the cables aren't secure. I get a lot of shifting noise in my 18 Si at the console. You just learn to live with it, or upgrade the shifter parts because Honda stayed cheap.

Acuity FTW

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic si
Country flag
Acuity made a video showing the noise coming from the shifter cable bushing on the shifter. Their fix involved drilling holes in the shifter and securing the bushing with zip ties.

Perrin also has a fix but it's a little pricey:

https://www.perrin.com/shop/shifters/honda-civic-shifter-cable-lock
Thanks for the info bro. I just checked the video, it seems it is not the same sound as on my car. That video demonstrates the sound with the car is parked (not moving.

the sound on my car is different (it is more like "knob" sound), and it only happens on upshifting and only when the car is moving.
Sponsored