Click noise coming from manual clutch

howrd29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone else experienced a clicking noise when pressing/de-pressing the clutch and putting the car into gear (on a manual car)?

Seems to be happening most of the time when going from 1st to 2nd gear... and coming from the clutch or the associated area on the left side of the car underneath the clutch pedal area, but not the pedal itself.

When windows are closed sounds to have a lower pitch, if windows are open and I can hear the noise coming into the car from the outside, it's more of a high pitch.

Started to happen after 4 months or so / 10,000k

Haven't gone into the dealer yet.

Thanks
Sponsored

infunf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic lx manual
i thought mine was making a whoosh noise when switching gears, but I now realize it makes this noise when accelerating at a low rpm so it's audible. Definitely more audible when the vehicle is cold.

slayerx02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 FG2 , 2020 FC3
Country flag
The spot where the clutch slave cylinder pushes on the clutch release fork might just need to be greased if the sound is indeed coming from the engine bay. If the clicking is from the pedal/CMC assembly, you might need to get under the dash and listen if the clicking is just the clutch interlock switch, the pedal spring, or the CMC shaft rubber boot is simply binding when depressing the pedal, in which case, I would look for 100% silicone oil (same stuff they use to lube treadmill tracks) and apply a thin coat on the CMC shaft.

OP
OP

howrd29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX
Vehicle Showcase
The spot where the clutch slave cylinder pushes on the clutch release fork might just need to be greased if the sound is indeed coming from the engine bay. If the clicking is from the pedal/CMC assembly, you might need to get under the dash and listen if the clicking is just the clutch interlock switch, the pedal spring, or the CMC shaft rubber boot is simply binding when depressing the pedal, in which case, I would look for 100% silicone oil (same stuff they use to lube treadmill tracks) and apply a thin coat on the CMC shaft.
Thank you. After a bit more listening, I realized that the clicking happens irrespective of whether I press the clutch in or not. It happens whenever the car is jerked a bit, either by changing of the gears or by pressing on acceleration a bit more aggressively.

CE1_nobling

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX 6sp , 1997 Honda Accord EX Wagon , 2005 Chevy Silverado 2500HD CrewCab 6.0
Country flag
No clicking on mine.

bigluke17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I have a similar clicking noise that happens when I'm at low speeds and when I stop applying the gas pedal

jakedbp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Civic Si
Country flag
I can't say for sure since I have a 9th Gen, but my clutch clicks on my 2013 and my 2012 did too- it's the cruise control switch engaging, so that when you are on cruise and use the clutch, the cruise disengages just as if you had hit the brake.
Sponsored