Clear Side Markers Fitting: Incompatible to CTR or Update to 2019?

chitlins37

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18’ CTR
Country flag
How hard is it to slice through the existing wiring for the added functionality? I kinda find it nerve wrecking lol. Also, do you have any moisture/fitment issues on your unit? There seems to be a lot of complaints prior to 2018, so just wanting to see if their quality had improved.
Sorry brother I did not do the install. My recollection from the research I did prior to purchase is this one is supposed to be plug n play. And the shop that installed it did not call with any questions...but they specialize in custom work like this too.

I have not had it out in the rain yet but the shop did wash it before pickup and I have seen no evidence of water/condensation in there. The fitment is perfect as shown in the pics.
Sponsored

OP
OP
keiothic

keiothic

Banned
Banned
First Name
YoK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 FK8 CW #22485
Country flag
Thank you! Considering one of our most active modder, @ctrmofo has a pair on his car, I'd say it's a good sign lol. He's very keen on the best quality :)

OP
OP
keiothic

keiothic

Banned
Banned
First Name
YoK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 FK8 CW #22485
Country flag
Yeah, recently when started looking for markers. It does look pretty simple. I just need faith in myself haha.

chitlins37

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18’ CTR
Country flag
Yeah, recently when started looking for markers. It does look pretty simple. I just need faith in myself haha.
Yeah you got it! I see what you mean about that crimp of the blue & red wires on the headlight side...I work in IT so that kinda thing wouldn’t phase me but still could be a tense moment

Looks like the shop did it just like him on mine.

Honda Civic 10th gen Clear Side Markers Fitting: Incompatible to CTR or Update to 2019? F57EE296-D872-4877-8FC0-DCB6DC7E7490

ctrmofo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 lambo lp550-2, '18 honda ctr cw (r-12321), 14' porsche cayman s, '16 porsche macan s, '13 mini jcw nme stage 1, '15 audi s3 apr stage 2, '15 audi q3, '12 monster 1100 evo, '16 triumph thruxton r, deposited for '19 lambo huracan performante
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
There are couple tricks that video and most ppl don’t know which we’ve documented in our FB group’s review posting are:

1) Use a wire clothes hanger to pull the wire up and to the headlight so you don’t kill your arm with scrapes, promise you.

2) Use 1/4” flex loom to wrap the wire so it looks nice and OEM.

3) That red wire from the marker to the headlight should be cut near the marker and use a quick disconnect or simple butt connector for easy of maintenance or replacement as needed...why is below.

Yes, the version 1 of Optix had moisture and water problem because there’s a hole in the back of the marker that was not sealed with silicone. Some of us gave feedback to Top Tier Auto Parts and was fixed in version 2. Then version 2 had some gaps along the lenses’ edges and allowed water/moisture. We found a fix and recommended to Top Tier again so v3 came out.

Everytime they sent free replacements not to us who review products but to ALL customers without question so customer service has been great.

Since I did v2 in April 2018 and v3 since September, not a single problem through my own power washer, totally touchless car washes, and winter slush and snow. It’s all good.

OP
OP
keiothic

keiothic

Banned
Banned
First Name
YoK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 FK8 CW #22485
Country flag
Damnit, I would hate to go join Facebook again, but you keep posting resources from there lol. I may just create a throwaway account. Hopefully there isn't a strict requirement to join this CTR community

There are couple tricks that video and most ppl don’t know which we’ve documented in our FB group’s review posting are:

1) Use a wire clothes hanger to pull the wire up and to the headlight so you don’t kill your arm with scrapes, promise you.

3) That red wire from the marker to the headlight should be cut near the marker and use a quick disconnect or simple butt connector for easy of maintenance or replacement as needed...why is below.

Yes, the version 1 of Optix had moisture and water problem because there’s a hole in the back of the marker that was not sealed with silicone. Some of us gave feedback to Top Tier Auto Parts and was fixed in version 2. Then version 2 had some gaps along the lenses’ edges and allowed water/moisture. We found a fix and recommended to Top Tier again so v3 came out.

Everytime they sent free replacements not to us who review products but to ALL customers without question so customer service has been great.

Since I did v2 in April 2018 and v3 since September, not a single problem through my own power washer, totally touchless car washes, and winter slush and snow. It’s all good.

OP
OP
keiothic

keiothic

Banned
Banned
First Name
YoK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 FK8 CW #22485
Country flag
Hey, cool, I'm in IT as well. I guess working in IT in a decently large company, I could care less about making the mistakes; take it as learning experience; wipe and start over lol (I mostly deal with software so I guess my IT work doesn't bare heavy consequence). With your own baby though? IDK lol o_O

I'll take this photo as a memo for when I do mine, so thank you :)

Yeah you got it! I see what you mean about that crimp of the blue & red wires on the headlight side...I work in IT so that kinda thing wouldn’t phase me but still could be a tense moment

Looks like the shop did it just like him on mine.

F57EE296-D872-4877-8FC0-DCB6DC7E7490.jpeg

Deadgame

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW FK8
Country flag

Where can we buy the updated v3?

ctrmofo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 lambo lp550-2, '18 honda ctr cw (r-12321), 14' porsche cayman s, '16 porsche macan s, '13 mini jcw nme stage 1, '15 audi s3 apr stage 2, '15 audi q3, '12 monster 1100 evo, '16 triumph thruxton r, deposited for '19 lambo huracan performante
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Damnit, I would hate to go join Facebook again, but you keep posting resources from there lol. I may just create a throwaway account. Hopefully there isn't a strict requirement to join this CTR community
Not that strict, open to all. Let me know and will approve you ;-)

ctrmofo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
OP
OP
keiothic

keiothic

Banned
Banned
First Name
YoK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 FK8 CW #22485
Country flag
The latest they sell is the v3.
Have a link that maybe isn't from Amazon? Most of the ones they list there are tainted with long time bad reviews.

EDIT: nvmd. I joined and got the link from there: http://www.toptierautoparts.com/ind...civic-type-r-led-switchback-sidemarker-light/
I think this is their latest Amazon listing, based on a FB comment: https://www.amazon.com/Optix-2016-2017-Type-R-Smoked-Marker/dp/B07643TR6S cheaper than official site and free shipping for Prime users. Latest 2019 post got 5-stars, so that's saying something.

EDIT2: Here's the clear one, though the 1 review, 1 star from December is a bit more concerning: https://www.amazon.com/2016-2018-Ho...Signal+Housing+Parking+Light+Replacement+Lamp Gonna contact the company and ask if the update has been applied to the regular clear unit as well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
keiothic

keiothic

Banned
Banned
First Name
YoK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 FK8 CW #22485
Country flag
I had a response from Third Gear Performance, one of the Amazon sellers, they said they're selling the 3rd version.

chitlins37

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18’ CTR
Country flag
I had a response from Third Gear Performance, one of the Amazon sellers, they said they're selling the 3rd version.
Yeah that’s where mine came from...in the pic I posted. Thanks for confirming the version.

Also big thanks to @ctrmofo for the background info...took some trial & error it seems to get the kinks worked out. Appreciate that work as myself and others are benefactors of it.

Deadgame

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW FK8
Country flag
I bought a pair for my CTR and one for my wife's sport touring hatch. Hoping that the wiring is the same...
Sponsored