Aldeezy87

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
So I have a 2017 Black Type R that I bought about 10 days ago and wanted to know the best way to wash it at a DIY or self service car wash to avoid scratches and swirls since its black. I live in an apartment so cant wash it myself, and only have those DIY or self service car washes nearby. Also if you guys have a list of best products to use as in wax, wheel cleaners, and seat cleaners. Thank you!
Sponsored

samji

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR, 1996 Accord V6 EX-L
Country flag
Lots of info on this already if you look on youtube on proper car care.

Remember, the name of the game is to not touch or rub anything on your clear coat as best to your ability as possible. I know everyone's perspective on car cleanliness is different but at the very least, don't use tunnel car washes and/or those self service wash bays where they let you use a foaming brush thing that everyone can use. Our cars have very thin paint and will scratch even if you look at funny.

In your situation, I'd bring my own bucket and cleaning supplies to the self wash bays and wash it yourself using their wash bay. Just remember not to use reuse any mitts or microfiber towels that are contaminated or fell on the ground.

OP
OP
Aldeezy87

Aldeezy87

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
Lots of info on this already if you look on youtube on proper car care.

Remember, the name of the game is to not touch or rub anything on your clear coat as best to your ability as possible. I know everyone's perspective on car cleanliness is different but at the very least, don't use tunnel car washes and/or those self service wash bays where they let you use a foaming brush thing that everyone can use. Our cars have very thin paint and will scratch even if you look at funny.

In your situation, I'd bring my own bucket and cleaning supplies to the self wash bays and wash it yourself using their wash bay. Just remember not to use reuse any mitts or microfiber towels that are contaminated or fell on the ground.
Yeah I will do what you said and just bring my own bucket and supplies. Thanks, I'll look around here to see what products everyone else recommends.

OP
OP
Aldeezy87

Aldeezy87

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
I'd leave your car with a detailer and get a ceramic coating. It was $2000 for my S2000, but the end result is that even 3 years later, hosing it down "washes" it. Dirt, gunk, and everything else just falls right off.
Thanks for the info, a friend of mine mentioned ceramic coating, I just wasn't sure of what it would cost but I'll look into it.

WhatThePuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Acura Rsx (sold), '19 CW CTR 23909
Country flag
303 fabric protection for the cloth & alcantara. If you daily your car you'll have to refresh the driver's seat like every 6mos. Stuff is awesome

OP
OP
Aldeezy87

Aldeezy87

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
303 fabric protection for the cloth & alcantara. If you daily your car you'll have to refresh the driver's seat like every 6mos. Stuff is awesome
Yeah this my daily, oh cool do you have a link or where I can pick up?

BoostedDreams

First Name
Heisenburg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R, 2006 Mazda 6
Country flag
I second the ceramic especially with black. I’ll never get black again! Shows everything. Got a hell of a deal for a paint correction and ceramic for $500. You can find places that will do it for $750-1200.
For now use the 2 bucket method during washing and a microfiber weave towel or even a leaf blower for drying.

amurciano

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R FK8
Country flag
Thanks for the info, a friend of mine mentioned ceramic coating, I just wasn't sure of what it would cost but I'll look into it.
With ceramic coating the costly part is getting the paint corrected, with a new car you probably only need a 1 step polishing correction and thats it. Then the cermic coating gets applied which doesn't take more than a couple hours at most. My guy did the whole car for $1000 and he did a good job. He also used a ceramic coating that will last 3-5 years. A cheap alternative is to ceramic coat without paint correction if you just care about the ease of cleaning and not care about it looking super glossy with the paint correction.
There is also something called waterless wash which involves a bucket with water and solution and a bunch of towels. This is for people that don;t have access to car wash stuff for people like you that live in an apartment. Its not as good of a job as pressure washer, foaming, 2 bucket method with micro mit, and rinsing and drying with a drying aid.
Either way definitely ceramic coat, its worth it no matter which car was method you do. Also if you maintain it well it can last a while and you won't risk scratching up your clear coat, just the cermic coating will get swirled.

OP
OP
Aldeezy87

Aldeezy87

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
I second the ceramic especially with black. I’ll never get black again! Shows everything. Got a hell of a deal for a paint correction and ceramic for $500. You can find places that will do it for $750-1200.
For now use the 2 bucket method during washing and a microfiber weave towel or even a leaf blower for drying.
Yeah I had no idea black was going to be such a problem when it comes to the paint. After I got the car is when ppl started telling me about being a pain in the ass lol but will definitely do that bucket thing

OP
OP
Aldeezy87

Aldeezy87

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
With ceramic coating the costly part is getting the paint corrected, with a new car you probably only need a 1 step polishing correction and thats it. Then the cermic coating gets applied which doesn't take more than a couple hours at most. My guy did the whole car for $1000 and he did a good job. He also used a ceramic coating that will last 3-5 years. A cheap alternative is to ceramic coat without paint correction if you just care about the ease of cleaning and not care about it looking super glossy with the paint correction.
There is also something called waterless wash which involves a bucket with water and solution and a bunch of towels. This is for people that don;t have access to car wash stuff for people like you that live in an apartment. Its not as good of a job as pressure washer, foaming, 2 bucket method with micro mit, and rinsing and drying with a drying aid.
Either way definitely ceramic coat, its worth it no matter which car was method you do. Also if you maintain it well it can last a while and you won't risk scratching up your clear coat, just the cermic coating will get swirled.
Oh well then its definitely getting coated with the ceramic I'll start looking around to see shops who can do it and will use that bucket method. Thanks again for all the info I appreciate it!

amurciano

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R FK8
Country flag
Oh well then its definitely getting coated with the ceramic I'll start looking around to see shops who can do it and will use that bucket method. Thanks again for all the info I appreciate it!
https://www.obsessedgarage.com/collections/shampoos-washes/products/optimum-no-rinse-rinseless-wash

If not this website has everything you can think of for washing, not neccesary to get everything from here, but he recommends some of the best products and towels to use. Like don't buy the 150 dollar foam cannon, just get one on amazon for 15 bucks.

BABY NSX

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R, 2019 Toyota Sienna, 2006 Toyota Highlander, 1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye
Country flag
Yeah I had no idea black was going to be such a problem when it comes to the paint. After I got the car is when ppl started telling me about being a pain in the ass lol but will definitely do that bucket thing
Years ago when we were getting our old Honda Odyssey there was a black S2000 in the showroom. It literally looked like every employee, customer, person walking by the dealership had touched that car.

Black cars imo look awesome but I’m too lazy to keep up a nice looking black car.

Certain cars look cool dirty. My brother has a black 1980 Turbo Trans Am and it looks like something from Mad Max when it’s all dirty. Makes it look meaner!

Caestus

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ceramic Coating is the best thing anyone can do to their car aesthetically. Now keep in mind, Ceramic Coating WILL NOT PREVENT PAINT CHIPS. It will still chip. Only PPF can prevent paint chips.

I just had my Ceramic Coating guy do my Full frontal PPF with XPEL (10 year warranty) Bumper, Headlights, fenders, hood, mirror caps, and rear quarter panel flares with 5 year Ceramic Pro Ceramic coating for 1800 plus tax. Cheapest I've heard anyone pay for the products being used on my car.

Edit: as for cleaning supplies, once you get your car ceramic coated, Ceramic Pro suggested I use Americana Ceramic Aftercare soap

https://americanaglobal.com/collections/product-catalog/aftercare?sort_by=best-selling

Prior to this I really liked Chemical Guys soaps!

18TypeR-13922

First Name
ADM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CBP CTR, 2022 MDX A-Spec, 2015 Accord EXL
Country flag