Cleaning engine bay area.

GemBlueCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
is it safe to pop my hood and hose down my entire engine bay? Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

TimberWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yes. Just don't spray the alternator and electrical bits too much. Like any other part of the car, go with the gentlest cleaning methods first, then escalate as needed.

OP
OP
GemBlueCivic

GemBlueCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Yes. Just don't spray the alternator and electrical bits too much. Like any other part of the car, go with the gentlest cleaning methods first, then escalate as needed.
My engine bay smellls like straight up rat poop.

CivicXander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic hatchback Sport 6MT Rallye Red
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Use plastic bags and duct tape to cover exposed electrical components, battery terminals, alternater etc. And use a regular hose, not a pressure washer. An engine degreaser before spraying wouldn't be a bad idea either

NotSerious

First Name
Me
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018CivicLXSedanCVT
Country flag
Just don't use a high-pressure washer.
I shorted out ignition coils on a previous generation Civic that I had by doing that.

I believe that Honda recommends that you don't use a high-pressure washer in the engine bay in the manual somewhere as well. They would know if the electrical components are properly sealed or not.

Try to dry-wipe to get as much of the gunk off first. Then use a degreaser.

OP
OP
GemBlueCivic

GemBlueCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
You may have bigger issues than the smell. Rodents can chew up your engine's wiring.
no i checked all the wires theyre good. i think they just brought food inside my engine bay and ate and pooped all around. I cleaned as much poop as possible. Thats why im asking whether or not to hose my engine bay down to get rid of that smell. I even bought a gallon of peppermint spray specifically for cars.

brienp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
my dad builds custom old school hotrods, his little secret, get a small pressure container/sprayer, the one you usually use in the garden with RoundUp inside. Anyway, put in a few cap fulls of Wisk laundry detergent (the black clothes version works best cause its designed for cold water) and put it into a pressure container and mix with water. Get the engine bay wet. Spray that Wisk solution all over and let it sit for 10-15 minutes. Spray it all off with a garden hose. Ya dont need a strong spray. The Wisk laundry detergent will pull all the dirt and oils off. super easy.
Sponsored