First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Hey everyone,
I was detailing the hot rod yesterday and noticed some lint/dust sitting inside the 3rd brake housing on my 2020 Si Coupe as I was cleaning my glass. I feel the cover inside the cabin can be removed, but I want to make sure I don't F anything up - like snap a clip or damage something. Anyone have any experience with this? I found a thread or two, but they did seem to help me. Seems to be it just "slips/slides" off? Thanks guys!
Sponsored

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
I have a 2018 LX coupe. And the cover is a known pain-in-the-ass. IIRC... taking it off can mess up the defogger elements. And then it is difficult to get back on (and keep it there). The issue may have been fixed by now. But if not; beware.

OP
OP
borcth

borcth

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Damn. I had a feeling. Unless more pple chime in with a positive experience in taking it off and cleaning it, i'll just leave It alone for now. It's not badly dirty. Just some lint and particles. I was wondering how anything can get inside since it's pretty flush with the glass. Figured I could go in there maybe once or twice a year and clean it up.

Thanks for the advice though.

Last edited:

keller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si coupe, 2021 SGP Type R
I had once to remove that cover to install a blinking module. It was quite easy. See the picture below from the service manual. Pull in the position and direction of arrow 1 and then slide in the direction of arrow 2.

Honda Civic 10th gen Cleaning 3rd Brake Light on Coupe Screenshot from 2023-02-06 01-57-01

OP
OP
borcth

borcth

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I had once to remove that cover to install a blinking module. It was quite easy. See the picture below from the service manual. Pull in the position and direction of arrow 1 and then slide in the direction of arrow 2.

Screenshot from 2023-02-06 01-57-01.png
Oh great! Thanks. I did not realize this was in the service/owner's manual. Looks like there are two clips and 2 slider things. So it pops out from the front and slides down at the back. I probably don't need to remove the screws though. The lint/particles are sitting on the backside of the plastic panel.

I'll still be cautious. I've read other threads where people had an issue with it staying on and hanging loose. So if/when I get brave enough to do it, I'll refer to the picture for guidance.

Alphaskoom

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Coupe Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
be extra careful not to pull too far down, its not like a door, you only want to pull the front side ( facing the hood ) down just enough to get the pop clips to disconnect and not further, it will squish the rubber around the back side as you do this. id be extra cautious and would only do this maybe 5-10 times max with this piece as i too am terrified of it breaking off and being unable to secure it in the future, i believe our 2020's are of a new design or new adhesive but the older models had failing adhesive on the clips on the back, so it would drooop down in the back, obscuring the rear window view. ( I also have a flasher module in my roof back there )

OP
OP
borcth

borcth

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
be extra careful not to pull too far down, its not like a door, you only want to pull the front side ( facing the hood ) down just enough to get the pop clips to disconnect and not further, it will squish the rubber around the back side as you do this. id be extra cautious and would only do this maybe 5-10 times max with this piece as i too am terrified of it breaking off and being unable to secure it in the future, i believe our 2020's are of a new design or new adhesive but the older models had failing adhesive on the clips on the back, so it would drooop down in the back, obscuring the rear window view. ( I also have a flasher module in my roof back there )
There's adhesive?:oops:
Not super excited about that. Once I pull it away that adhesive will not be stellar and may not stick the same. Sounds super delicate. Shazbot!

This is all good info though. If I do go and take it apart I know what I'm in for at least. Currently I'm leaning towards not doing it right now. I don't need a headache.

keller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si coupe, 2021 SGP Type R
I did not realize this was in the service/owner's manual.
It's not in the owner's manual. You can get the service manual here (it's for all trims, ignore the thread name):
https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/full-service-manual-for-civic-type-r-fk8.46273/

There's adhesive?:oops:
Not super excited about that. Once I pull it away that adhesive will not be stellar and may not stick the same. Sounds super delicate. Shazbot!
The adhesive holds the metal clip on the window glass. You're not removing those. That's the reason @Alphaskoom said to pull the front down just until the clips detach. You need to be careful, but it's not that delicate.

OP
OP
borcth

borcth

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It's not in the owner's manual. You can get the service manual here (it's for all trims, ignore the thread name):
https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/full-service-manual-for-civic-type-r-fk8.46273/

The adhesive holds the metal clip on the window glass. You're not removing those. That's the reason @Alphaskoom said to pull the front down just until the clips detach. You need to be careful, but it's not that delicate.
Okay, roger that! Thanks again!
Keeps ya guys posted if/when I do this.

Alphaskoom

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Coupe Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Correct, the adhesive just holds the attachment hooks in the back half against the glass, NOT on the big cover piece your removing, too much pulling down and you might pull those hooks with it

OP
OP
borcth

borcth

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Correct, the adhesive just holds the attachment hooks in the back half against the glass, NOT on the big cover piece your removing, too much pulling down and you might pull those hooks with it
Understood!

OP
OP
borcth

borcth

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Update:

I ended up cleaning it. It was easy, but also delicate. I was able to pop the 2 front clips facing towards the front of the car and gently slide it off going towards the trunk direction till it slide off. Came of very easily. Nothing broke or snapped or came apart. Took only a few minutes to take it off, clean and put back on. I just get nervous dealing with panels and such. Always afraid I'm gonna dent them or scratch.

Thanks guys for the help!

Alphaskoom

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Coupe Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
pretty sure that video is how not to do it, looks like the passenger glass clip popped right off

OP
OP
borcth

borcth

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
pretty sure that video is how not to do it, looks like the passenger glass clip popped right off
It's not. Well it's not how I did it. The front popped off, and the back slides down and off. Looks like in the video the passenger side metal clip broke off and is attached to the panel now.. lol Hence why a few members in this thread warned about the adhesive behind the metal clips. That's probably why pple in the past were breaking them and it would not adhere back. Instead of sliding it down and off, they just pulled/broke off.
Sponsored

Last edited: