Clash of Clans: Civic Type R Takes on STI and 370Z (Review)

vader2k

Darkside rider & Senior member
First Name
Alonzo-Ignacio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Type R. #433 (EPB). 07 Civic LX (TW)
Country flag
It seems like they should have used that for the comparison then, or maybe even a Nismo?
Nismo Z for sure. If that was the case, they should've done a shoot-out with Civic HB sport, WRX, and reg Z. lol

vader2k

Darkside rider & Senior member
First Name
Alonzo-Ignacio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Type R. #433 (EPB). 07 Civic LX (TW)
Country flag

gtolio

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 EP3 Si hatch, 2019 Civic Sport Hatch 6spd, 2017 Honda Ruckus
Country flag
the article said that was the only press car available in the US.
Somebody messed up at Nissan then, because it makes them look less competitive than they probably actually are. If I was in marketing for Nissan, I would have found a Nismo anywhere. Hell, start calling dealers if you have to. The fact that they wouldn't put up their most competitive car for a comparison like that, which is huge publicity, boggles the mind.

totopo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Ex Hatch, 370z
Country flag
It seems like they should have used that for the comparison then, or maybe even a Nismo?
Most tests have the sport version as faster or same compared to the NISMO, haha.

I think 370's are pretty easy to get at around 10% off MSRP.

baldheadracing

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
Somebody messed up at Nissan then, because it makes them look less competitive than they probably actually are. If I was in marketing for Nissan, I would have found a Nismo anywhere. Hell, start calling dealers if you have to. The fact that they wouldn't put up their most competitive car for a comparison like that, which is huge publicity, boggles the mind.
Unlikely they were told. Telling Nissan what the car was going to be used in would be poor journalism.

In any case, I've gotten the feeling that Nissan just doesn't care about this market segment, and hasn't cared since Ghosn arrived and put the emphasis on electric. Then again, up until CivicX, I had the same feeling about Honda.

Slickone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Le Car
Country flag
Nice article. There's no doubt the Type R is a better performance car but to be fair the 370Z (base car as well) is ancient and the STI is also long on the tooth. The acceleration times for the STI are the slowest I have seen recorded. I'm willing to bet they could have brought an EVO X and it may have outperformed the 370Z and STI.
Yes, the 370Z is 10 years old, and isn't much different from the 350Z that came out over 15 years ago. Some think the new Z is coming soon with the VR30DDTT. It's available in a 400HP version in the Infiniti Q50/Q60, which allows 0-60 in 4.5 seconds in those heavy cars.

gtolio

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Unlikely they were told. Telling Nissan what the car was going to be used in would be poor journalism.

In any case, I've gotten the feeling that Nissan just doesn't care about this market segment, and hasn't cared since Ghosn arrived and put the emphasis on electric. Then again, up until CivicX, I had the same feeling about Honda.
Of course they were told. How do you think magazines get cars to test?

And it's not great journalism to not use the right trim level, or at least match the pricing segments, which could have easily been done.

baldheadracing

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
Of course they were told. How do you think magazines get cars to test?

And it's not great journalism to not use the right trim level, or at least match the pricing segments, which could have easily been done.
They say, "We want to borrow a press car." They never say, "We want to borrow a press car for a comparison test."

And if you read the article, then you would know why they got, and could only get, the 370 that they did.

In any case, I doubt that even J-F could find five seconds on Deux-Montagnes just by adding an LSD and better brakes. It isn't that kind of circuit.

gtolio

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
They say, "We want to borrow a press car." They never say, "We want to borrow a press car for a comparison test."

And if you read the article, then you would know why they got, and could only get, the 370 that they did.

In any case, I doubt that even J-F could find five seconds on Deux-Montagnes just by adding an LSD and better brakes. It isn't that kind of circuit.
I'm not saying it would have made up the time. I'm saying that it would have made for a better comparison test. It's already the most aged car here. Why not at least make it as much of a fair fight as possible?

And saying that it is the single only car they could get is a lame excuse. Really, there is not a single Sport or Nismo on any dealer lot that could have been had? Not one? Really?

iforyou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R, 2001 Honda S2000, 2007 Acura RDX
Country flag
probably it was't broken in yet and those heavy 19's holding it back.
When you look at the figures for all three cars, they are slower than Car and Driver's figures. There can be many different reasons for that.

Perhaps Road and Track doesn't use correction factors like Car and Driver does. If that's the case, then perhaps the weather plays a role here. This test was probably done within the last month or so, where temperature at Montreal was as high as 29C (84F). Turbocharged cars are especially sensitive to temperature changes. Not only does the turbo has to work harder, spin faster, and compress more air to produce the same amount of boost it would at lower temp, but the hotter air also increases the operating temp inside the turbo, making the intercooler less efficient.

I think the good thing about this comparison is that all three of these cars were tested on the same day, by the same group of drivers, and at the same location. This would make comparing the figures easier and more legitimate.

TrentonSport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport
TIL the 370 can hold 19 gallons of fuel. The only complaint I have with my sport in the fuel department is that I wish our tanks were a bit larger.
Sponsored