Clanking / Tapping Sound when in Reverse (video)

Acraig3

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic coupe, 1992 Acura integra
I would also like to contribute. I had the exact same noise as you, OP. Always had tapping/ clanking in reverse and worse at full lock. Driving forward would cause a similar sound.

Found a rock between heat shield and rotor.

Honda Civic 10th gen Clanking / Tapping Sound when in Reverse (video) IMG_20200127_173619
Sponsored

jsyar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R, BMW 328xi, BMW X3
Country flag
I just removed a rock from my passenger side front brake today. The struggle is real.

EnjoyDriving

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW FK8
Country flag
So it turns out that when the tyre shop fitted my wheels and tyres, they didn't tighten the inner nuts for the valve stems enough. One of the nuts was loose inside the wheel and it was clanking. A trip back to the tyre shop and all was revealed and fixed!
Sorry to bring up the dead, but I have been having the "Clanking" noise, on and off, when the car is slowing down and turning at the same time. I am sure that it's not the squeaking noise by a stuck rock in the brake shield at all. It almost sounds like a metal spring or a metal line getting un-tangled. Anyone has this figured out yet?

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sorry to bring up the dead, but I have been having the "Clanking" noise, on and off, when the car is slowing down and turning at the same time. I am sure that it's not the squeaking noise by a stuck rock in the brake shield at all. It almost sounds like a metal spring or a metal line getting un-tangled. Anyone has this figured out yet?
Let me guess..slow turns only...like mainly when turn out of the drive way or into a parking spot? More of a deep sound rather than a high pitch squeal you'd get with a rock?

EnjoyDriving

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW FK8
Country flag
Let me guess..slow turns only...like mainly when turn out of the drive way or into a parking spot? More of a deep sound rather than a high pitch squeal you'd get with a rock?
Yes, the clanking noise is so loud you can hear with all windows up. It's clanking, like quitar playing, not sqealing at all.

Yes, slow turning and sometimes when the car is coming to a stop. So, it is quite embarrassing when it happens as I am coming to a stop light.

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yes, the clanking noise is so loud you can hear with all windows up. It's clanking, like quitar playing, not sqealing at all.
You may have the same thing going on as I do. I have this sound only on the driver side...it's embarrassing sometimes as it's loud enough to hear it outside.

And it seems to happen also when the car has backward tension...as in I'm driving and apply gad and the car lifts up the front a tad...then bam it makes the sound while turning.

I'm still trying to figure it out. I thought maybe it was this...quite noisy just here with no real pressure applied. This isn't exactly how it sounds...but if imagine with more pressure applied (weight of the car) it may be this

EnjoyDriving

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW FK8
Country flag
You may have the same thing going on as I do. I have this sound only on the driver side...it's embarrassing sometimes as it's loud enough to hear it outside.

And it seems to happen also when the car has backward tension...as in I'm driving and apply gad and the car lifts up the front a tad...then bam it makes the sound while turning.

I'm still trying to figure it out. I thought maybe it was this...quite noisy just here with no real pressure applied. This isn't exactly how it sounds...but if imagine with more pressure applied (weight of the car) it may be this

Hmm....not quite the same noise. Mine is just like the OP's 1st video, you can hear then "clanking" when he was in backing out.

EnjoyDriving

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW FK8
Country flag
So it turns out that when the tyre shop fitted my wheels and tyres, they didn't tighten the inner nuts for the valve stems enough. One of the nuts was loose inside the wheel and it was clanking. A trip back to the tyre shop and all was revealed and fixed!
How could a valve stem inner nuts make that clanking noise? especially only at lower speed? Too bad that's not something I can check myself...

CivilciviC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Ugh, those rocks are a curse. Sometimes they get jammed up in such a way that I hear nothing but a high pitched metal grind coming from the wheel area, at low speeds.

It sounds like the car is broken and anyone within ear shot stares at me like they think the car will explode. It’s always rocks, too. Eventually they grind down enough and fall out and the noise stops... until I pick another one up.

Has anyone removed the heat shield behind the rotors? Is it all that necessary? I’ve owned countless Hondas and Acuras over the years, all with the same type of heat shield, and none of them ever had this issue. No idea why it is so prevalent on the CTR.

Kolzig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2007 Civic SI 4-door
Country flag
Yup 100% a rock stuck in between the heat shield and the brake disc. This happens to me all the damn time because I live on a gravel road. It is easy enough to fix but holy hell can it get bad. Especially when it starts squealing and low to mid speeds.

Not sure why this is the only vehicle I have ever owned that has had this issue. Almost makes me want to remove my heat shields...
Sponsored