Clanking / Tapping Sound when in Reverse (video)

Froggie3kb

HondaProKevin.com
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.HondaProKevin.com
Vehicle(s)
CTR, S2000, RSX-S, Accord, CR-V
Country flag
Well this sucks... In top of my 2nd gear crunch / grind issue that I still have to take mine in for, I just had another issue arise today.

At work, there is a slight incline to where I always park. I always back into my spot which has a dip and then an incline that I reverse in to. Today, I'm backing up with the wheel turned and I hear a clanking / knocking or tapping sound (however you want to describe it) that kinda sounds like something is dragging the concrete or against something metal. It's hard for me to describe so I've attached a video below. There is nothing dangling below the car that is visible or anything that I nor anybody else can when I'm backing up. It does sound like it's coming from the front right corner but hard to tell 100%. It only does this in reverse in and on this area with the slight incline to it, it never does it when I'm backing out of my driveway at home or anywhere else for that matter. I'm going to take it into the dealership this Monday and see what they say. I'll keep you guys posted.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar to this?

In the video below, i reverse up the slight incline and then roll back down to reverse back up it again a second time.

EDIT / UPDATE

Well, I posted the original video above on August 5th and the noise magically disappeared so I didn't go-ahead with bringing it into the dealer hoping it was maybe a rock or something that just fell out etc.

Fast forward a couple of weeks to today, August 30th and now I've got a noise coming from the same area but is a completely different noise... So I stopped real quick and grabbed my phone to catch it on video as I am 100% going to have to drag it into the dealer now to let them take a peek at it and see what's going on.

It also only does it in reverse.

Sponsored

Last edited:

CTR_FK8_00436

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR / 2011 Civic Hybrid
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I haven't noticed the backup knock. I'll try later on an incline and let you know if I hear it then.

HayaiKuruma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hatchback EX
Country flag
My guess is it's your brake pads. It's not that uncommon for pads to shift when in reverse due to just a little space or play. Maybe the shim was left off of your pad/pads? On one of my cars, the pads bang when in reverse due to shifting. But they have 50,000 miles on them and doing just fine. So no biggie.

hlflp360

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic type r
Country flag
Just backed out of my driveway tonight and this sound happened. First time I've heard it and I'm going on 2300 miles.

mdchan84

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Acura RSX Type S (RIP), 2009 Honda Fit, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Did you get this resolved? I experienced this exact same issue and the noise just disappered. For now atleast.

hlflp360

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic type r
Country flag
It also just disappeared for me too. I'm honestly not to worried about it unless it comes back.

Banshee

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3, 07 Civic Si, 17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had a big stone inside my passenger rotor. Evidently it only did it in reverse, on my passenger side also...unless it was just a coincidence ...But, I also changed out all my rotors and pads.

foxxdie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
#0817 CTR
Anyone ever figure out what this actually is? I've just started getting this really bad when turning in reverse(either direction). Sounds like a spring is about to snap :( I'm wondering if I should just take it in regardless as I feel like a new car shouldn't be making sounds like this already.

OP
OP
Froggie3kb

Froggie3kb

HondaProKevin.com
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.HondaProKevin.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Well guys, the video I originally posted was on August 5th and the noise magically disappeared so I didn't go-ahead with bringing it into the dealer hoping it was maybe a rock or something that just fell out etc.

Fast forward a couple of weeks to today, August 30th and now I've got a noise coming from the same area but is a completely different noise... So I stopped real quick and grabbed my phone to catch it on video as I am 100% going to have to drag it into the dealer now to let them take a peek at it and see what's going on.

It also only does this in reverse.

Has anyone heard a noise like this one?

OP
OP
Froggie3kb

Froggie3kb

HondaProKevin.com
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.HondaProKevin.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Did you get this resolved? I experienced this exact same issue and the noise just disappered. For now atleast.
Anyone ever figure out what this actually is? I've just started getting this really bad when turning in reverse(either direction). Sounds like a spring is about to snap :( I'm wondering if I should just take it in regardless as I feel like a new car shouldn't be making sounds like this already.
Just backed out of my driveway tonight and this sound happened. First time I've heard it and I'm going on 2300 miles.
For those of you above that had it happen to you. Has it happened again yet? Also, just posted an update with a new video and new sound that's coming from the same area.

To the other guys in the thread. Thanks for the info / tips etc that you've posted.

mdchan84

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Acura RSX Type S (RIP), 2009 Honda Fit, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
For those of you above that had it happen to you. Has it happened again yet? Also, just posted an update with a new video and new sound that's coming from the same area.

To the other guys in the thread. Thanks for the info / tips etc that you've posted.
In response from your latest video, I got a similar sound from my right front like you. The only thing I did was push back the rotor brake dust cover as I thought it was dragging against the rotor. The noise disappeared and hasn't come back since. However, I really don't know if that solved anything.

slowride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Type-R
Country flag
That big gap in the plastic to the left of the wiper stalk in the video...is that normal?

foxxdie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
#0817 CTR

Hey Froggie. I basically had the same exact sound. Took it to the dealer yesterday and had the exact same issue Banshee had. It was a rock wedged in the rotor. They took it out and checked over everything but no noise for me anymore. What makes me concerned at this point is that it's clearly happening to multiple people, seems like there should be something to prevent junk from getting in there in the first place.

thisguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jeep Wrangler 4D, 1978 Honda Hawk
Country flag
The scraping noise happens to me when going in reverse (and it's pretty bad) – but only when the steering wheel is turned pretty much all the way.
Also, the noise happens every now and then. Comes and goes... Thanks for the advice on this thread. I'll have to take a closer look soon.
Sponsored