2.0L CivicX 2.0L Tuning - BIG Gains Confirmed For The Second Time

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda civic 2.0 Sedan
Country flag
Can you tell us more about messing with the two step? I'm wary about making any changes outside of the base tune.
To be honest with you, I’m not too sure either. I did a lot of research after a couple of friends told me to get a basic two step tune. But as far as my knowledge goes, we have two separate rev limiters, a low and high. The high one prevents us from redlining the engine and damaging it while there’s a low one for a reason I don’t know about other than doing pulls from a set rpm. The video I watched that explained it well is from engineering explained :

He also made another video about doing a launch from a stop which I use the two step to help me achieve even better.

On my personal car I left the high one alone, and lowered the low one to 3500 rpm instead of the 4500 it was sitting at. I hope those information helps out with enjoying your car!
Sponsored

Deezy

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Sedan 6MT (FC2)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
To be honest with you, I’m not too sure either. I did a lot of research after a couple of friends told me to get a basic two step tune. But as far as my knowledge goes, we have two separate rev limiters, a low and high. The high one prevents us from redlining the engine and damaging it while there’s a low one for a reason I don’t know about other than doing pulls from a set rpm. The video I watched that explained it well is from engineering explained :

He also made another video about doing a launch from a stop which I use the two step to help me achieve even better.

On my personal car I left the high one alone, and lowered the low one to 3500 rpm instead of the 4500 it was sitting at. I hope those information helps out with enjoying your car!
Thanks for the info. I’m familiar with what it is and how it works I’m just not sure if it’s making the change on the fuel side or the ignition side and what harm it could do.

OP
OP
KTuner

KTuner

Elite Sponsor
First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KTuner.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
vtec in first gear still is hit or miss ...
it seems like it only works if you launch from a stop ... if you are rolling 15 mph or faster and roll on ... vtec in 1st gear doesn’t happen ...
but when it happens in 1st gear it kicks hard ... 5300Rpm is perfect for vtec
Can you send a datalog of this? There's really no other settings related to it that I can change, but I'd like to see that.

a c i d.f l y

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX 2.0 CVT Sedan w Sensing
Country flag
Son of a b... I recorded twenty minutes of logs and closed the laptop, but didn't save and the laptop is set to shut down not sleep so l lost it.

Dangit.

Also, I'm not seeing any available tunes when I connect to my ECU. I'm only able to load my preexisting saved tune that I had. Do I need to revert to stock before I can see the basemap tunes again?

I originally had to request for a tune file from KTuner, as my ECU model was apparently not supported by default.

Edit: ECU # 37820-5BA-A97

Last edited:

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Felt the same way once we started testing with the platform. No idea what they were thinking, but glad everyone is enjoying the tune!
@KTuner
A 3rd option for this Vtec engagement is to have it come on exaggerated like the old school Hondas, while moving the engagement point down to 5300rpm. Of course it's not that performance would be better but the 'feeling' of the Vtec engagement would be felt in 1st and 2nd now (because it is actually engaging now in 1st and 2nd) but not having it engage smoothly.

It's a similar analogy to the CVT transmissions having that fake shifting put in place because people like how that feels and that is what they are accustomed too. I hate it but understand why people rather have that 'shifting' feeling and hearing the engine going up and down the rpm range, thinking it is performing better.

This would bring smiles to a lot more people because of how it feels, not because it is actually performing smoother. I think the smoother engagement is underappreciated by some but hearing it (and feeling it) roar and pull in 1st and 2nd would be like.....WHOA. Just a thought! ;)

OP
OP
KTuner

KTuner

Elite Sponsor
First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KTuner.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
Also, I'm not seeing any available tunes when I connect to my ECU. I'm only able to load my preexisting saved tune that I had. Do I need to revert to stock before I can see the basemap tunes again?

I originally had to request for a tune file from KTuner, as my ECU model was apparently not supported by default.

Edit: ECU # 37820-5BA-A97
I'm not seeing anything that would prevent you from seeing tunes under File>New Tune once you select the software number and hit next, like it says to in the notes at the bottom of the window.

@KTuner
A 3rd option for this Vtec engagement is to have it come on exaggerated like the old school Hondas, while moving the engagement point down to 5300rpm. Of course it's not that performance would be better but the 'feeling' of the Vtec engagement would be felt in 1st and 2nd now (because it is actually engaging now in 1st and 2nd) but not having it engage smoothly.

It's a similar analogy to the CVT transmissions having that fake shifting put in place because people like how that feels and that is what they are accustomed too. I hate it but understand why people rather have that 'shifting' feeling and hearing the engine going up and down the rpm range, thinking it is performing better.

This would bring smiles to a lot more people because of how it feels, not because it is actually performing smoother. I think the smoother engagement is underappreciated by some but hearing it (and feeling it) roar and pull in 1st and 2nd would be like.....WHOA. Just a thought! ;)
I certainly won't make things less efficient, but I'll likely make the settings available for full customization.

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
Country flag
@KTuner

I don’t even like the fake shifts in our hatchback. I honestly think it would be faster without it.

Reactions: Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don’t even like the fake shifts in our hatchback. I honestly think it would be faster without it.
It certainly would be more efficient without the fake shifting. You gotta give the people (The majority anyways) what they want though. So it's what we have.

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It certainly would be more efficient without the fake shifting. You gotta give the people (The majority anyways) what they want though. So it's what we have.
But do people even want fake shifts? I know all the people I know don’t.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
But do people even want fake shifts? I know all the people I know don’t.
Here's my take on it, the fake "shifts" only occur when you're WOT anyway and don't happen in normal driving so basically the feeling of the CVT is there 95% of the time when you're not full throttle. So for that 5% of the time when you floor your car, those fake "shifts" are likely not going to be missed by anyone. Especially for the non-enthusiast consumer that feature is intended for, I doubt they even go WOT more than 1-2 times a year anyway so the feature is pretty useless.

Reactions: Myx

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Here's my take on it, the fake "shifts" only occur when you're WOT anyway and don't happen in normal driving so basically the feeling of the CVT is there 95% of the time when you're not full throttle. So for that 5% of the time when you floor your car, those fake "shifts" are likely not going to be missed by anyone. Especially for the non-enthusiast consumer that feature is intended for, I doubt they even go WOT more than 1-2 times a year anyway so the feature is pretty useless.
But that’s what I mean. I get in my hatchback and it acts like a normal cvt when you are just cruising. But when I floor it then it gives that fake shift and almost seems to slow it down. I have tried keeping it in low gear and it does prevent the fake shift, but hear it actually isn’t designed for that. But I’ll stop talking about the 1.5t since we are talking about the 2.0. I’m just glad my 2.0 has the 6mt.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
But that’s what I mean. I get in my hatchback and it acts like a normal cvt when you are just cruising. But when I floor it then it gives that fake shift and almost seems to slow it down. I have tried keeping it in low gear and it does prevent the fake shift, but hear it actually isn’t designed for that. But I’ll stop talking about the 1.5t since we are talking about the 2.0. I’m just glad my 2.0 has the 6mt.
Yeah I was basically trying to say that it baffles me why Honda put it in the first place. Thankfully, Honda doesnt have that terrible rubber band feel that other CVT's have so stuff like fake shifts to make up for it arent needed.

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag