NSaneeee

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Sedan
Country flag
Yeah man it’s def not as dramatic as before but an update for us is something, we just need more power now lol squeeze it out of somewhere
Sponsored

Ben0012

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX Sedan 2.0 CVT
Country flag
Anyone try this on a CVT yet? Haven't flashed yet and am curious to see if CVT owners have noticed any difference.
I have, the extra 300 RPM's of VTEC is noticeable, its not a huge difference but you can tell. Don't forget to change your throttle response as it will revert back to factory when you upload the new tune

OP
OP
KTuner

KTuner

Elite Sponsor
First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KTuner.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
I have, the extra 300 RPM's of VTEC is noticeable, its not a huge difference but you can tell. Don't forget to change your throttle response as it will revert back to factory when you upload the new tune
Only if you start a new tune. If you had saved a tune your settings will still be there.

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
Country flag
Yeah man it’s def not as dramatic as before but an update for us is something, we just need more power now lol squeeze it out of somewhere
Yeah I think it’s not as dramatic because it engages right before the power curve starts to drop. This is allowing that power curve to stay as smooth as possible. I tried a couple wide open pulls and it just seems to pull right up to redline without slowing down. It is a consistent rev now. You can hear when it kicks in but since it engages at that right moment it comes in nice and smooth. You gotta admit it feels good now huh? :headbang:

OP
OP
KTuner

KTuner

Elite Sponsor
First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KTuner.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
Felt the same way once we started testing with the platform. No idea what they were thinking, but glad everyone is enjoying the tune!

NSaneeee

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Sedan
Country flag
Felt the same way once we started testing with the platform. No idea what they were thinking, but glad everyone is enjoying the tune!
Is there any way to squeeze more power out via tuning or is this about the most we can expect?

OP
OP
KTuner

KTuner

Elite Sponsor
First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KTuner.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
A custom tune will get you more. We have to support vehicles all over with different conditions and fuels with our included tunes, so there is room left for safety.

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV Touring, 2017 Civic EX Sedan Honda Sensing
Country flag
To be honest I don’t know why Honda didn’t tune it like this from the factory :dunno: But good thing y’all fixed it:bow:
As I think has been said before, it was very likely to allow differentiation.

The K20C2 with a good tune and if it also had a better quality (read: higher flow cat), would have quite readily matched the 1.5T (As it comes from the factory in the sedans) for the majority of users/real world use cases. The 1.5T that is in the upper trim hatch is tuned for 91+ and gets more power but then it would have to be pushed higher and then that would cut into the Si. Tuning the Si too far would then start to cut into the Type-R. A tough balance but I get the need for it from a marketing aspect.

The other issue is emissions...

They likely binned all these engines specifically based on sales expectations and how that affects fleet averages as it pertains to CARB/CAFE.

And of course, the all mighty dollar. The more complex the engine, the less profit if they don't sell more so why make a less complicated NA that eats at the engineering costs of the 1.5T by outselling it?

Personally, I think they should have made the sedans and coupes with a "standard" 1.5T (Perhaps sell the most base sedan/coupe with the 2.0NA). The upper trim hatches get a "tune" to just shy of the specs on the Si now. The Si gets a built version with say 220hp and 200+ torque. The Type-R gets to stay as it is, if not knotch it up a smidge in the tuning dept. Can't at all see this being a bad spectrum.

Reactions: Myx

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
Country flag
As I think has been said before, it was very likely to allow differentiation.

The K20C2 with a good tune and if it also had a better quality (read: higher flow cat), would have quite readily matched the 1.5T (As it comes from the factory in the sedans) for the majority of users/real world use cases. The 1.5T that is in the upper trim hatch is tuned for 91+ and gets more power but then it would have to be pushed higher and then that would cut into the Si. Tuning the Si too far would then start to cut into the Type-R. A tough balance but I get the need for it from a marketing aspect.

The other issue is emissions...

They likely binned all these engines specifically based on sales expectations and how that affects fleet averages as it pertains to CARB/CAFE.

And of course, the all mighty dollar. The more complex the engine, the less profit if they don't sell more so why make a less complicated NA that eats at the engineering costs of the 1.5T by outselling it?

Personally, I think they should have made the sedans and coupes with a "standard" 1.5T (Perhaps sell the most base sedan/coupe with the 2.0NA). The upper trim hatches get a "tune" to just shy of the specs on the Si now. The Si gets a built version with say 220hp and 200+ torque. The Type-R gets to stay as it is, if not knotch it up a smidge in the tuning dept. Can't at all see this being a bad spectrum.
Yeah but I’m talking about that nasty dip in the power curve from the factory. And also having a Vtec motor where Vtec doesn’t engage till almost redline which made it almost useless. Ktuner fixed both of these problems. The 1.5t doesn’t have a nasty dip from the factory.

chuenoona

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX, 2001 Acura CL Type-S
Country flag
We have datalogs from a CVT we're looking at to compare to the MT tester. If I could get someone else with an MT to send logs so we can confirm operation, we'll get this finalized for all quickly. :)
vtec in first gear still is hit or miss ...
it seems like it only works if you launch from a stop ... if you are rolling 15 mph or faster and roll on ... vtec in 1st gear doesn’t happen ...
but when it happens in 1st gear it kicks hard ... 5300Rpm is perfect for vtec

Deezy

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Sedan 6MT (FC2)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The point of lowering it to optimized performance peak. It’ll feel a little less aggressive, but it does a better job. I agree with Deezy. I love it right now, lowered the basic two step to 3500, improved the throttle response to II, and been enjoying it a lot more. Especially like ktuner says, MT’s are able to get right back into VTEC when shifting up. I only wish now it kicked in at 4800 like the older SI’s. But it may not be that optimal.
Can you tell us more about messing with the two step? I'm wary about making any changes outside of the base tune.
Sponsored