NSaneeee

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Sedan
Country flag
Hello 2.0 KTuner family. A quiet update has been posted to the website, 1.0.9.7, which will be pushed this week.

After reviewing many datalogs we've moved the VTEC point down to 5300. For those who weren't getting VTEC in first and second gear under some circumstances, this will also allow that to happen all the time. We would love to hear your feedback, as always!
May I ask what this accomplishes by moving the VTEC even lower??
Sponsored

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV Touring, 2017 Civic EX Sedan Honda Sensing
Country flag
Haha I know right!! I wish it would kick in even sooner I wanna know the science tho lmao
Moar POWAH!!!!!

But seriously, more power. It is a more aggressive valve timing that is focused on power rather than economy. The old sales pitch was that it was like two engines in one. The science is that if you are just puttering, then why have it on all the time. But if you go WOT and run out the ripems, then having a point at which even more power is available is a nice bonus. The factory setting on the 2.0NA is so high that it is virtually never on. Not even on a CVT that is more inclined to let the engine whine out towards the higher RPMs.

I am almost at the pull the trigger moment for getting a KTuner so this is just more encouragement!

Reactions: Myx

NSaneeee

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Moar POWAH!!!!!

But seriously, more power. It is a more aggressive valve timing that is focused on power rather than economy. The old sales pitch was that it was like two engines in one. The science is that if you are just puttering, then why have it on all the time. But if you go WOT and run out the ripems, then having a point at which even more power is available is a nice bonus. The factory setting on the 2.0NA is so high that it is virtually never on. Not even on a CVT that is more inclined to let the engine whine out towards the higher RPMs.

I am almost at the pull the trigger moment for getting a KTuner so this is just more encouragement!
You won’t be disappointed

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
The guys at KTuner can correct me if i'm wrong here but I do remember them saying that the previous setting (5600 RPM) was in fact the optimal point for VTEC to kick in in terms of power gains and that lowering the VTEC would not accomplish much in terms of power gains. I think the reason they are lowering it is mostly for the manual drivers as they stated so that they can have VTEC kick in first and second. For CVT owners, I guess it'll just be cooler and more fun to have VTEC to come in just a tad bit sooner. Again, KTuner should definitely chime in if i'm wrong.

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
May I ask what this accomplishes by moving the VTEC even lower??
See video! Then think what happens in 1st and 2nd gear when you don't reach this point in some scenarios. Then think what would happen if you do reach this in 1st and 2nd gear in those scenarios.

Linszter

TunerView Developer
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Accord K24, 2005 Civic K20 VSA
Country flag
For those of you who would've been overly excited about this update and keep clicking your 'Ktuner Update' button in Ktuner without actually checking if they have the newest update, you can go to this link HERE to see what the latest version is that they have on Ktuner's website. I know if I was new to the game, I would've been that guy. :p
Version history is not updated yet.

Civic_rob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX-P
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hello 2.0 KTuner family. A quiet update has been posted to the website, 1.0.9.7, which will be pushed this week.

After reviewing many datalogs we've moved the VTEC point down to 5300. For those who weren't getting VTEC in first and second gear under some circumstances, this will also allow that to happen all the time. We would love to hear your feedback, as always!
That's for the MT folks. Now for us 2.slow CVT owners is there any updates? I'm trying to milk this ecobox engine as much as I can without worrying about it blowing up and a lowered VTEC would make driving this a lot more fun. Of course only if it won't damage the car.

Thank you again for supporting our platform!

-Rob

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That's for the MT folks.

-Rob
I must be missing something. I thought this update IS for the CVT folks. MT folks determine when they want to shift. They can shift at redline any time they please, in any situation.

CVT folks have no control over when they can 'shift gears'. Well...not by any normal means.

Does this sound right for the 2.0 CVT owners?

Civic_rob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX-P
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I must be missing something. I thought this update IS for the CVT folks. MT folks determine when they want to shift. They can shift at redline any time they please, in any situation.

CVT folks have no control over when they can 'shift gears'. Well...not by any normal means.

Does this sound right for the 2.0 CVT owners?
Maybe I misunderstood what he was saying but he said he moved VTEC down so you can have it in first and second gear. CVT is belt driven so I think he's talking about MT right? I'll have to update my KTuner and find out soon.

NSaneeee

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
See video! Then think what happens in 1st and 2nd gear when you don't reach this point in some scenarios. Then think what would happen if you do reach this in 1st and 2nd gear in those scenarios.
What would be the harm in having an even lower engagement like the 8the gen si for example? I know it’s a different engine but what would be the harm of having it at like 4800 rpm for example that would be fun

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What would be the harm in having an even lower engagement like the 8the gen si for example? I know it’s a different engine but what would be the harm of having it at like 4800 rpm for example that would be fun
None! No harm!

However, look at the torque graph below. If Vtec is moved to the left, you'll reach peak horsepower sooner. That means when you do finally wind it out to 6700rpm in 3rd gear, if Vtec engagement is still lower, you'll have less horsepower in 3rd gear and a steeper torque fall off. Unless Vtect engagement in 3rd is somehow moved back up the powerband.

This is just talk though. When people download the newest update when it is available and report back the results, if they are happy, that's all the matters.

Honda Civic 10th gen CivicX 2.0L Tuning - BIG Gains Confirmed For The Second Time Torque Curve
Sponsored