2.0L CivicX 2.0L Tuning - BIG Gains Confirmed For The Second Time

Whitemare.FC2

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic, 2.0 CVt
The graphs show stock (red) and tuned numbers (orange) overlayed, to the wheels. One highlights the biggest gains seen and one highlights the peak to peak gains. They're the same graphs otherwise.

CVT is supported.
Last question, what grade of gas was this tested on?
Sponsored

OP
OP
KTuner

KTuner

Elite Sponsor
First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KTuner.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV Touring, 2017 Civic EX Sedan Honda Sensing
Country flag
With those number it make this engine so close to the stock 1.5T and that's probably the reason why it was dumbed down in the first place..... and off course, so it can use 87 octane fuel.
I'd absolutely buy that theory. There is more moving mass in the 2 liter and the K20C is the basis for the Type R and the new Accord 2.0 Sport and Touring so chances are good that they nerfed it on purpose. Although really, Honda has engineered themselves into a funny corner. All the turbo engines are bonkers good and are seemingly de-tuned as it is and Honda does have the need to try to differentiate certain models and trim levels. And here they are with a 1.5 and a 2 liter that seems to be just beast mode with a turbo on them and the basis of the 2.0 when equipped with VTEC can chase the 1.5T. Can't say as I hate the problem as we are the benefactors of some awesome engines.

If I keep my EX 4 door, I might have to get a KTuner. Those turbos are just so damned tempting though... I smell an Si after 3 years with this car...

a c i d.f l y

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX 2.0 CVT Sedan w Sensing
Country flag
I'd absolutely buy that theory. There is more moving mass in the 2 liter and the K20C is the basis for the Type R and the new Accord 2.0 Sport and Touring so chances are good that they nerfed it on purpose. Although really, Honda has engineered themselves into a funny corner. All the turbo engines are bonkers good and are seemingly de-tuned as it is and Honda does have the need to try to differentiate certain models and trim levels. And here they are with a 1.5 and a 2 liter that seems to be just beast mode with a turbo on them and the basis of the 2.0 when equipped with VTEC can chase the 1.5T. Can't say as I hate the problem as we are the benefactors of some awesome engines.

If I keep my EX 4 door, I might have to get a KTuner. Those turbos are just so damned tempting though... I smell an Si after 3 years with this car...
Honestly if the Si, and Type R especially, didn't look like Gundam action figures, I'd be driving a Type R from the get go. I prefer a professional look that doesn't cost $50k, and the 40mpg is why I went 2.0. (with pipe dreams of a turbo option in the late future)

Will let you and everyone know.

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
and Type R especially, didn't look like Gundam action figures, I'd be driving a Type R from the get go.
HA!!! This sums it up pretty well! My overall preference would be the SI 4dr with my EX/Touring front bumper but with NO chrome on the car anywhere.

a c i d.f l y

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Setting up the KTuner application and actually applying the tune was not very intuitive (never done it before), but I figured it out eventually. Push-to-start made things a little weird. Without pressing the brake, I had to press the pushstart twice to get the car to turn on, but not the engine in order for the application to detect my ECU. Pushing once goes into diagnostic mode, twice will turn on the AC/radio. With the KTuner plugged into your ODB port, connected to your laptop, and you'll see the application pop-up with the ECU lock. Every video online will explain things from there.

Definitely an improvement. Throttle response is immediate -- it literally jumps at the slightest pedal press, low-end acceleration is noticeably increased, even get a little push back into the seat, mid-rpm 30-50mph is about the same, 50-80mph maintains power and accelerates much more quickly. I'm only 50/50 with 87/93 octane mix, need to empty the tank and fuel up proper. Worth $450? Hell yeah, it's the most power-add I've purchased.

Was the dyno performed with traction control turned off? I've kept mine on.

Next up, downpipe...

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Good to hear a c i d.f l y! I would be just as quick to keep my EX if it gets just a little of the deliberate lag knocked out of it. Just have to work up to the cost where I have my stupid Canuckistan exchange rate to deal with. (About a 30% hit right now)

OP
OP
KTuner

KTuner

Elite Sponsor
First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KTuner.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
Setting up the KTuner application and actually applying the tune was not very intuitive (never done it before), but I figured it out eventually. Push-to-start made things a little weird. Without pressing the brake, I had to press the pushstart twice to get the car to turn on, but not the engine in order for the application to detect my ECU. Pushing once goes into diagnostic mode, twice will turn on the AC/radio. With the KTuner plugged into your ODB port, connected to your laptop, and you'll see the application pop-up with the ECU lock. Every video online will explain things from there.

Definitely an improvement. Throttle response is immediate -- it literally jumps at the slightest pedal press, low-end acceleration is noticeably increased, even get a little push back into the seat, mid-rpm 30-50mph is about the same, 50-80mph maintains power and accelerates much more quickly. I'm only 50/50 with 87/93 octane mix, need to empty the tank and fuel up proper. Worth $450? Hell yeah, it's the most power-add I've purchased.

Was the dyno performed with traction control turned off? I've kept mine on.

Next up, downpipe...
The dyno we used only allows the front wheels to spin, so traction control has to be off. That has nothing to do with running off of the dyno.

koriw1.5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
Is there a difference between the two provided base maps in Ktuner?
One ends in 16
The other ends in X (I think)

a c i d.f l y

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Is there a difference between the two provided base maps in Ktuner?
One ends in 16
The other ends in X (I think)
I only saw one basemap when I loaded mine. Unless they've added a new one in the last 24 hours?
Sponsored