Civic X Life Expectancy

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
It is interesting that price and reliability are not positively correlated with cars. Sometimes that IS the case (like shoes and clothing.....up to a point), sometimes not (cars, watches, etc.). But I think if you're going to buy a luxury car, you need to be aware that service/maintenance WILL be expensive and long-term reliability may be an issue for you. I just think there are people out there who want to "Keep up with the Joneses" while not doing their own research about the items they are buying. These are the people who are later shocked/disappointed when they have car issues.

This video is a real eye opener:

Sponsored

erbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Nissan Altima, 2004 BMW M3
Country flag
Seems like a complete waste of money to me, I could have billions and I still would not pay that much for a car
Well it's about the "need" to have one but not necessary a "want". You need to show up in one of these to talk deal instead of a Civic......

BTW they can be leased for about $1k. A tax write off if you do business too.

chestypuller

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Country flag
a fool and his money their soon parted they say.

CivicXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T, Civic EX HB
Country flag
This video is a real eye opener:

Well it's about the "need" to have one but not necessary a "want". You need to show up in one of these to talk deal instead of a Civic......

BTW they can be leased for about $1k. A tax write off if you do business too.
Depends on the company.

We had a merger where the $200MM side showed up in a caddy XTS and the $800MM side showed up in an explorer.

The most expensive cars that Ive seen are driven by people who make between 200-500k. Most people I know making over 1MM a year usually end up in a Lexus.

Ionnaeus

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Hatchback
My guess is that the internal combustion engine will be its doom as the move to electric will continue to gain momentum and eventually the law prohibits them. But, what do I know? I'm just some guy on the internet.

rraayy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag
With deaths/accidents already resulting from the “autonomous driving” nonsense, I don’t fear we are anywhere close to that being an actual issue to worry about. A lot of people I know with “safety technology” find it annoying, unnecessary. Watch the road, you shouldn’t need anything else telling you when someone in front of you is putting on the brakes or you’re drifting out of a lane.

The electric movement is real, but I see that impacting the mighty gas guzzlers quicker than the Civic that gets me 30+ mph even in traffic. Also, big oil and it’s lobbyists won’t let them off the market any time soon. I’m no conspiracy theorist, but follow the money. Electric vehicles, autonomous driving, blah blah blah won’t be mainstreamed until those companies figure out how to exploit these new developments

Short version: I plan on having my Sport Hatch for a long time.

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
1985 Civic hatchback bought new. 265,000 miles. Still ran great 15 years later. Never any major problems, I think ac compressor was the biggest repair. Rusted subframe, done for. They last as long as you maintain them.

Luckyarmpit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 VW Golf R, 2003 Wrangler TJ
Country flag
I think it's most definitely like what was already said... you get to a point of diminishing returns, and it's up to you to decide if it's worth it. I bought a 2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ "X" in September of 2014. It only had 93,000 miles, which was considered very low for a Jeep of that age (all the others I looked at had 150,000+ ). It was in great shape, never in mud (as far as I could tell), clean title, no rust, etc. Now, the previous two owners had taken good care of it, but not necessarily as far as regular maintenance. Since buying it, I have done the following:

• New brakes, both front and rear. I think they were the factory originals due to the shape they were in
  • New spark plugs. Again, I think they were the original plugs. Engine ran SO MUCH BETTER after replacing them.
  • The rheostat for the HVAC. I didn't have the two middle fan speeds, and that fixed that problem.
  • A new soft top. I suspected it was the factory original. It wasn't torn but it was starting to dry rot and fray in places.
  • New rear main seal (recent). This was an expensive repair but necessary... anyone that's owned a TJ knows that the 4.0L I6 is renowned for being reliable as hell but notorious for leaking at the RMS.
  • New front end (recent). I had the dreaded "Death Wobble" (note that I had that even with OEM-sized tires and no lift kit) and it was only getting worse. Had the tie rods, steering stabilizer, ball ends, track bar, etc., etc., all replaced. That wasn't cheap either, but the Death Wobble is gone and I have a hell of a lot more confidence driving it at highway speeds now.

Chrysler made A LOT of TJ Wranglers and parts are very easy to find, both aftermarket and OEM. So the availability of the parts isn't the issue for me, but how much money am I willing to continue to throw at it? I'm thinking the next major repair is going to be a new clutch, but I hope I'm done after that, at least for a while. The advantage I have is that Jeep Wranglers mysteriously hold their value very well, and I'd have no problem getting a decent amount of money for it, should I decide to every get rid of it at some point.

ebhaynz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 2017
Country flag
These new cars with complicated electronics are not going to last as long as previous generations. Too many things to go wrong and too expensive to fix. I expect to 5-7 years out of my Si, hopefully everything won't go haywire before then.

yyzcbphatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini CS
Vehicle Showcase
i used to have a 94 Camry V6 with 390k...and still runs strong when i got rid of it to a junk yard...so yeah, if you maintain it properly, it will last, but then keeping a car beyond 10 to 15 years it really is a personal thing.
Sponsored