Civic X Life Expectancy

a c i d.f l y

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX 2.0 CVT Sedan w Sensing
Country flag
Agree with you, especially given I'm now in software development around financing, and the push towards DevOps, CICD, and Pivotal practices that push heavily into automation and testing automation, but so far has felt like a pipe dream when it comes to actually having a proven process, product, reliable testing and actual outcome. Ultimately it still requires humans to pick up the pieces, and drives back into human testing of Features beyond the built in automation. I see it folding in on itself, where it ends up requiring both (automation and human testing) to ensure the end product is functionally acceptable. But really the end goal is to drive quality at the end, and folks get to keep their jobs (or even more positions becoming available).

There's a lot of talk about AI and machine learning, but it won't ever really be an actually applicable thing until advancement is happening with zero human input, and when that day comes, we're talking hypothetical Terminator D-day (to be a bit facetious).

Heh. Getting a little off topic, but still a very interesting conversation.
Sponsored

a c i d.f l y

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX 2.0 CVT Sedan w Sensing
Country flag
What do you suspect longevity to be on highway mileage with these cars? I drive between 25-30k miles per year so within 5 years il be up to 150k
Let us know when you get there. My last Civic pulled 200k with minimal maintenance and survived 22 years before parts started experiencing significant issues. There's a lot of variables at play. Environment, driving habits, maintenance upkeep...the maintenance minder should ensure pretty significant longevity, but certain parts may simply not be able to withstand long term, heavy use. Professional drag racers rebuild their engines after every run. I never had my car's engine or transmission rebuilt, but I imagine having done so may have allowed a million miles or more.

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
My car is the same way. All highway miles. Personally I don't see any issue why these cars won't last 200k+ and I'm not concerned with the longevity. I think the interior will wear out eventually and the electronics are questionable, but mechanically I think the car will be fine and I don't think it's really something to get worried about. Just do routine maintenance and upkeep.

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV Touring, 2017 Civic EX Sedan Honda Sensing
Country flag
I have only owned Hondas for my 23 years of vehicle ownership. Here are my results and then what I think:

1989 Accord EX-i 4dr automatic, Sold at 380,000km:
  • Pistons blew their lands, had to have engine job, happened at 180,000km
  • Transmission clutches burned out at close to 280,000KM, had it rebuilt
  • Some rust work was done
  • Only interior issue was the signal and wipers control assembly needed to be replaced.
  • Two front door outside handles needed replacing
  • One alternator
  • Front upper control arms
  • Front springs
  • One muffler

2000 CR-V EX automatic, Traded in at 210,000KM:
  • Three suspension bushings
  • One prop shaft
  • One wheel bearing
  • Transmission started making an odd clunk at 210,000km but nothing insane so traded in before it was not worth anything.

2001 Civic LX automatic, Junked in 2017 at 245,000km:
  • Instrument cluster replaced under warranty
  • Rust work under front seats floor in 2015
  • Drivers side wheel well in 2016
  • Had to repair my DRL module twice (Cold solders)
  • Transmission complete hydraulic failure at 245,000km

2010 CR-V LX Automatic, Currently owned, at 130,000km as of this post:
  • Roof rack replaced under warranty as it lost paint
  • That is it!

2017 Civic EX HS CVT 4dr, currently 10,000km:
  • No issues so far
  • Goes in for first oil change this week or next (End of Apr 2018)

So here is my deal and my take on Honda, general reliability and what the 10th gen should give us...

I drove the piss out of my first car so there is little doubt in my mind that the engine and the transmission were my fault. Outside of that money pit disaster, I can't say enough good things about owning Hondas. I grew up around mostly Chrysler and Ford and they were always breaking. My father continued to own only Detroit brands until he picked up a used loaded Ridgeline and he now fully gets it and has only had a couple small things happen over the years he has had it. That truck has over a quarter million KMs on it now and it is still a great driver. I was always at him to get a reliable car because every other time I would visit, there was something else wrong with their Buick or Chrysler or Dodge. (My parents live in the same city so I see them a lot so that is a lot of repairs)

One of the things that I have always noticed with Hondas from my 1989 and on is the quality of the interiors. I was not super happy with the cloth used in the new genX but only time will tell. I am satisfied with all the other interior aspects when compared to coming off a 2001 LX to my new EX. Really, complaints are not all that big at all. The worst one I have is that they didn't use the soft plastic on the door panel tops on the rear doors and that the arm rests are made with the worst choice of material I have ever seen as far as they grab and hold dirt so easy. I never had my car while going outside without a jacket was comfortable so as the spring finally loads and how much of my elbow skin finds its way into the armrests.

I am not worried about the majority of the electronics. I am not worried about the engine. I am sort of worried about the transmission but the Honda CVTs are well reviewed by those that disassemble them. Hondata beat the hell out of their Touring edition and only by maxing out the engine were they able to wear that tranny out fast. So for all of us that don't over tune or don't tune at all, these CVTs should go for a very long time. The funny thing that I AM worried about is continued software updates for the in car entertainment/CANBUS system. I love using Android Auto and I fear that Honda won't keep working on software for the car as time goes on. It has been enough of an ordeal getting updates and patches from the likes of Samsung and LG. I hope that Honda realizes what they are getting into with all this.

And personally? If I don't trade up to a Touring model after the refresh, I will drive this one till it dies and my record so far shows that my Hondas live for an average of well over 11 years. I expect no less out of this one.

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
Most of what you are writing is not entirely unexpected. I've always said myself, if the car can go 150-200k miles without a major repair that is "getting your money's worth". Also usually those super high mile vehicles are not really old, generally it's someone who drives an insane amount of highway miles in a year which is the easiest miles to put on a car.

For me, probably the breaking point would be a power train failure outside of warranty which would warrant getting rid of the car. My last car had about 107k miles in 7 years and the rings went to shit so it was time to go. If I can get to 150k minimum I'll be pretty content. At the end of the day, there are really only 4 things I want from a car:

1. Reliable. I don't have any time to deal with bringing in the car for issues even if they are covered under warranty.
2. Good gas mileage.
3. Inexpensive.
4. Good lower back support.

I really don't care about all the other issues (speed, subwoofer, rims, turbo, leather, etc)

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV Touring, 2017 Civic EX Sedan Honda Sensing
Country flag
At the end of the day, there are really only 4 things I want from a car:

1. Reliable. I don't have any time to deal with bringing in the car for issues even if they are covered under warranty.
2. Good gas mileage.
3. Inexpensive.
4. Good lower back support.

I really don't care about all the other issues (speed, subwoofer, rims, turbo, leather, etc)
And this is why Toyota and Honda sell so many Civics and Corollas. They pretty much always tick the 4 boxes you have above. Just look at of 5 Hondas, I have so far only 2 warranty services. The items you list that you don't care about are showing up (again?) on the Civics, I think, to simply match what all else there is out there for competition. Not all shoppers are savvy like long term Honda/Toyota owners.

dominican

Enthusiast YouTuber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Honda Prelude, 2002 Honda S2000, 2011 BMW 335d, 2017 Honda Civic Hatch WOP Sport M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
A lot of it will depend on how it was driven, as usual. I imagine a Hatch Sport to last a LONG time, as it has simple electronics, but if it's driven like I drive em, the motor, trans and suspension will be entirely worn out after 5-8 years. Now, the CVTs.... Well, don't expect them to last longer than the manuals, let's just leave it at that.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
The funny thing that I AM worried about is continued software updates for the in car entertainment/CANBUS system. I love using Android Auto and I fear that Honda won't keep working on software for the car as time goes on. It has been enough of an ordeal getting updates and patches from the likes of Samsung and LG. I hope that Honda realizes what they are getting into with all this.
Same here. Heck, I don't even think that enough tech companies, never mind car manufacturers, understand what to do about maintaining updates and compatibility. Honda knows how to do engines; they need to allocate enough resources to shore up their software, too.

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
And this is why Toyota and Honda sell so many Civics and Corollas. They pretty much always tick the 4 boxes you have above. Just look at of 5 Hondas, I have so far only 2 warranty services. The items you list that you don't care about are showing up (again?) on the Civics, I think, to simply match what all else there is out there for competition. Not all shoppers are savvy like long term Honda/Toyota owners.
Exactly. There's another element I should have mentioned, maintenance is just easier on these cars and cheaper. Plus parts are readily available. I got some cheap generic brand air filters for both the cabin and engine for $15 including shipping. Majority of the maintenance is fluid change which with tools is easy enough. I do agree though, for a car that is quite cheap, it's extremely reliable.

It hilarious when people buy luxury cars that cost more, burn premium fuel, costly maintenance, and very aggressive depreciation. Plus I've also noticed at least here in the US, a lot of people who buy luxury cars can't even afford them or the maintenance.

I'm not talking about a Ferrari or Lambo even.,

BMWs, Mercedes, etc are a dime a dozen in California so no one really even cares except the person driving it in their head while wondering how to pay for it.

I know some idiot who does not want to go to the dentist for tooth decay b/c it's expensive yet has a Mercedes. Another person is always trying to find some second hand cheaper mechanic to do work on his BMW b/c a dealer is too expensive. Ironically price and reliability don't always go hand in hand.

blackie X

First Name
tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
Got the 8 year 120k mile HondaCare for $1000. I wouldn't normally buy an extended warranty but that deal seemed too good for me. I have every intention to abuse the fuck out of it. Already had them replace a door seal that was whistling ever so slightly. Anything that goes even slightly out of spec is going to end up in their lap. The warranty is extra worth it for me since my average annual millage is under 7000.
i also sprung for this and will also be abusing it if needed. i also only will put about 7k miles on it a year as i only drive it in the summer time

chestypuller

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Country flag
im hoping for 200,000-300,000 miles without cvt or engine issues.

Sticks

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Touring, 2016 Corvette Z51, 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Country flag
Bought our '18 Touring after much research, but here is one of the top reasons. You can abuse them, and they still keep running.

My niece has a 12 year old Civic. My nephew has a 10 year old Civic. Neither of them know, or care, squat about cars. Including maintenance. A year ago, my nephew asked me to show him how to put air in the tires. Regular maintenance to them? When the car stops running, or something major breaks.

Mechanically, with maintenance my relatives fail to do, I expect it to run forever. Heck, theirs are still running with little to no maintenance. However, my '18 has more electronic gizmos than theirs, and I am more religious in tending to regular needs.

So, I expect I'll tire of the Civic before it ever breaks down, even if that is 100k miles. Will not be surprised, however, if some computer gremlin pops up every now and then.

mathdydx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
I know some idiot who does not want to go to the dentist for tooth decay b/c it's expensive yet has a Mercedes. Another person is always trying to find some second hand cheaper mechanic to do work on his BMW b/c a dealer is too expensive. Ironically price and reliability don't always go hand in hand.
It is interesting that price and reliability are not positively correlated with cars. Sometimes that IS the case (like shoes and clothing.....up to a point), sometimes not (cars, watches, etc.). But I think if you're going to buy a luxury car, you need to be aware that service/maintenance WILL be expensive and long-term reliability may be an issue for you. I just think there are people out there who want to "Keep up with the Joneses" while not doing their own research about the items they are buying. These are the people who are later shocked/disappointed when they have car issues.
Sponsored