Civic vs red light runner on a bicycle (everyone is ok!)

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
Every time I close my eyes, I see, feel, and hear the impact of the guy coming up onto my car. It's going to take a long time to get over that, even though I know I was not at fault in any way. :(
Railroad engineers express the same sentiments.

I hope that, in time, you can sort that out in your head. And I'm glad it wasn't worse; since it easily could have been.

People in general, in my experience, do this in cars, on bikes, or as pedestrians. I don't understand it.
Sponsored

bugboy32337

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe (MSM)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The thought crossed my mind, but I don't think it was intentional. I wasn't stopped at the intersection - I was approaching it. There were two other cars stopped at the red in the other two lanes. I don't think he knew I was coming in that empty lane, and even if he had, his chances of being killed by pedaling out in front of me at the speed I was traveling was too great for any attempt of a fraud claim. Maybe he was trying to get hit by the car that was just starting to take off, in the lane to the right of me...but he was still clearly crossing on a red light, and would have been at fault either way.

Also, he was also frantically picking up his stuff and getting ready to bolt before I even told him I was calling 911, although I didn't realize that at the time. My thought was that he probably has warrants and didn't want any face time with the cops.
As a cyclist, I'll throw this idea out there ... perhaps they were trying to get outta the way of traffic.
(that said ... I gotta agree that the cyclist was probably trying to avoid any "face time" with law enforcement ... and didn't want to be given any type of citation that assigned fault to them. If fault had been assigned to any individual, other than "John/Jane Doe", then the drivers insurance company would have someone to pursue for compensation)

OP
OP
Mae22

Mae22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatch Sport Touring Aegean Blue Metallic
Country flag
As a cyclist, I'll throw this idea out there ... perhaps they were trying to get outta the way of traffic.
(that said ... I gotta agree that the cyclist was probably trying to avoid any "face time" with law enforcement ... and didn't want to be given any type of citation that assigned fault to them. If fault had been assigned to any individual, other than "John/Jane Doe", then the drivers insurance company would have someone to pursue for compensation)
I hear you, but I want to be clear...this wasn't an experienced "cyclist" as we think of, with a helmet or spandex shorts, who rides with traffic on a regular basis and knows the rules of the road. This was a homeless dude on a bicycle. If he was trying to get out of the way of traffic, he never should have entered the intersection 5-6 seconds after the light turned red. Judging by his poor decisions during and after the incident, and his behavior, I am assuming he may have been on some sort of "mood altering substance". Just the fact that he bounced up off the pavement after taking a car to the face at 30mph makes me think he had to be altered in some way.

And the cops did catch up to him and get his info, and he will be cited with something, so I'm sure State Farm will go after him, but I don't know that there's anything for them to get. I was surprised to see on the info the cops gave me that he does have a drivers license number listed. I don't know whether he has a valid license or not, but he did have one at some point in his life.

bugboy32337

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe (MSM)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
gotcha ... I missed some of that info, when I skimmed the initial post. I should have read it more completely.

Hats_N_Hoodies

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sport Hatch
Country flag
I am glad you are alright, and yes it will take some time to get the trauma of the situation out of your head. May I suggest meditation? Several free apps out there. Headspace is one I enjoy when I need to clear my head.

As for a guess on the quote. 6850$

hope all works out in your favor.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I say $3875.

I had only two car accidents involving other people in my family. One was a man rear ending my CRV, the other a woman rear ending my daugter's Camry. In both cases they were uninsured.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
More info is needed.
Was the cyclist crossing from the right or left?
Hopefully the cyclist wasn't in a crosswalk, the car to the left was in a left-turn lane, and there isn't an accident investigation team involved. Otherwise it's difficult to assign all the fault to the cyclist who, if this is a bi-directional road, was in the intersection when the light changed to red.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mae22

Mae22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
More info is needed.
Was the cyclist crossing from the right or left?
Hopefully the cyclist wasn't in a crosswalk, the car to the left was in a left-turn lane, and there isn't an accident investigation team involved. Otherwise it's difficult to assign all the fault to the cyclist who, if this is a bi-directional road, was in the intersection when the light changed to red.
This is crystal clear, no more information is needed to assign fault, which is why the police officer who was there when it happened assigned 100% of the fault to the guy on the bike, and none to me. The guy on the bike entered the crosswalk (from right to left, meaning he was on the wrong side of the street, riding against traffic) several seconds AFTER his light turned red. I was proceeding through a green light, and he had no business being where he was at that moment. No different than hitting someone in a car that runs a red light when you have the green.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
This is crystal clear, no more information is needed... the bike entered the crosswalk (from right to left, ... No different than hitting someone in a car that runs a red light when you have the green.
Thanks for the additional information. Good luck with the insurance claim - In MA fault can be assigned based on point of impact. Unless there's mitigating circumstances, if it's in front of the windshield or front doors, that driver is assigned a fault percentage. You can fight the assessment and may even "win". Let us know when this is finally resolved.

OP
OP
Mae22

Mae22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks for the additional information. Good luck with the insurance claim - In MA fault can be assigned based on point of impact. Unless there's mitigating circumstances, if it's in front of the windshield or front doors, that driver is assigned a fault percentage. You can fight the assessment and may even "win". Let us know when this is finally resolved.
I grew up in MA in the 70's/80's, moved away in 1989 (Fairhaven. south coast, at the base of the cape)....I remember all the craziness related to insurance. Here in Arizona, they will go by the police report, and since I wasn't cited for anything, and the guy on the bike will be cited for at least one thing, maybe more (I haven't heard an update yet, but hit and run, running the red light, and biking against traffic were all on the table), that's what they go by. I am not being held legally at fault in any way for this incident.

BUT...since the guy doesn't have insurance, it goes down as a collision claim on mine, regardless. In AZ, we are required to carry both underinsured and uninsured motorist insurance, but that would only cover my medical bills if I had been injured...the collision itself falls under my normal coverage. They will go after him in court, and I'll be reimbursed for my deductible first if they collect anything at all from him, but otherwise, I'm screwed. I'm not holding my breath for even a penny from this guy. At least my car will be fixed and I'll only have $500 out of pocket, with the added bonus of awful flashbacks for life.

'19Sport6Man

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport, 2013 Mazda MX-5 Grand Touring
Country flag
$200.

Most of that will buff right out.

;)