Civic vs Mazda CX-5

kidthor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Blazer 2001
I'm in the market for a new car and I love the Civic EX-T, but I'm also thinking about a Mazda CX-5 Touring. I've checked our the CRV too, but the CX-5 is just a bit more exciting.

I'm wondering if anyone else has been in the same boat, and what decision was made? I'm torn between the sportier handling of the Civic EX-T and the slightly bigger storage ability of the CX-5 along with the slightly higher and bigger road-view. I also like the the Civic has top notch MPG, while the CX-5 is good but not great. The civic is also a bit cheaper... I currently have an elderly Chevrolet Blazer, so I'm sort of used to SUV/CRV type driving and versatility at this point - but it's not per se fun.

A bit about me - I'm single with no kids and don't do any serious hauling too often, but I do like camping, snowboarding, and mountain biking (I have a bike rack that I can attach to my Blazer's trailer hitch, but I realize I could also get a trunk mounted rack for a Civic).

So has anyone else debated between a Civic and a CX-5 or comparable SUV/CUV? What'd you end up getting and why?
Sponsored

TChewy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring Cosmic Blue, 2014 Mazda CX-5
We currently have both a 2014 CX-5 and a 2016 Civic Touring. Before the CX-5 we had 2 different CR-Vs but the CX-5 driving dynamics is so much better. The CX-5 actually feels more like driving a car than an SUV mostly because of Mazda engineering putting in a lot of work to make it handle a bit more "fun" so to speak.

As far as purpose of each, they're similar but quite different. We use the CX-5 when we need to haul the dogs or when we go camping or long road trips where we need to haul more items. Mostly it's used for cargo room and before I got the Civic I had a CR-Z which had almost no room and wasn't super comfortable for road trips. Since having the Civic it's mostly been used as just a daily driver but we definitely take it out more on the weekends than the CX-5 now so I think that'll be relegated mostly to hauling lots of people and things around instead of just for getting around town.

In your case, I think you have to decide what is best for you. Do you prefer being higher up and being able to see more of the road? I know some people prefer this over being lower like in normal cars. The Civic will still allow you to haul gear, especially if you're by yourself and using the rear seat pass through for your snowboard and other items. The trunk on the Civic is really big for a sedan and you'll be able to fit quite a bit of gear in there as well. It really just will come down to how much you think you really need that extra cargo space and if you plan on starting a family shortly. If not, I think you'd be quite happy with the Civic especially for the mpg. The price is pretty close so as an owner of both, they have their places and uses and it really just comes down to how you typically use a vehicle. Since you currently have a Blazer you may be used to the SUV and like the CX-5 better. I suggest test driving both and getting some numbers so you can have more info to make your decision.

critik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
Country flag
I have both a 2016 Civic EX-T and a 2015 CX-5 Touring. I really like them both, but as others have said they're different types and you just have to look at what's more important to you.

Handling is subjective, but I will say that in the CX-5 I feel a lot more connected to the road than in the Civic. I think I also prefer the traditional automatic transmission to the CVT, for what it's worth. On the other hand, I'm only getting around 27mpg combined in the CX-5 versus mid-30s in the Civic (I think?). Anyway, if you haven't driven the Mazda yet I'd recommend doing that--it has very little in common with a Blazer and is a lot of fun to drive.

You'll get more for your money if you go with the Civic, I think. The extra space will cost you in features (comparing Touring vs Touring across the two brands...they're really not the same) and gas mileage.

slp2be

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07' Honda Fit
Or you Could wait for the Honda civic hatch that comes out at the end of the year and that should cover most of your needs.

UberCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Modern Steel Civic EX-L 2006 Highlander Hybrid 2002 Honda Insight 2000 Audi A6 2.7t
Country flag
I don't really understand how people buy mid sized or compact SUV's and think that they are getting more interior storage. A Civic will fit more in it's trunk than you can fit in a CX-5 without completely blocking the rear window and stacking up to the ceiling. When loaded with 5 passengers my Civic holds more than my Highlander with 7. If you have no kids or friends in the back seat then you can fold the seats down and load in a surfboard or ski's. Crossover SUV's don't hold more than a hatchback unless you don't use the rear seats, then you can load medium furniture but you should probably be buying minivan at that point.

hoodlum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Saturn Astra
Country flag
Mazda is expected to announce the redesigned 2017 CX-5 tonight. And it looks like they will be offering a Diesel option next year.

hoodlum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Saturn Astra
Country flag
The CX-5 is getting a diesel in 2017.

http://en.media.mazda.ca/2016-11-16...-5-for-North-America-From-Second-Half-of-2017

HIROSHIMA, Japan, Nov. 16, 2016 /CNW/ - Mazda Motor Corporation announced at the Los Angeles Auto Show* today it will offer the SKYACTIV-D 2.2 clean diesel engine in the all-new Mazda CX-5 for North America from the second half of 2017. It will be Mazda's first diesel engine model in the North American market.

The SKYACTIV-D 2.2 to be fitted in the all-new CX-5 for North America provides a torque-rich driving experience and revs freely to high RPMs. It will meet the region's strict emission standards and make the all-new CX-5 one of the most fuel-efficient vehicles in its class. The engine also adopts Natural Sound Smoother and Natural Sound Frequency Control, proprietary technologies that reduce diesel knock sound for a quieter and more pleasing sound.

"We're confident this engine offers a smart new option for North American drivers who want both performance and fuel economy," said Akira Marumoto, Mazda's Executive Vice President and Representative Director.

By providing driving pleasure and outstanding environmental performance to all customers, Mazda aims to enrich people's lives and become a brand with which customers feel an emotional connection.

ulieq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Coupe 2019
Country flag
I think Tucson Turbo Sport is a better comparison since its the exact same price as the ex-t.
Sponsored