jrschultz

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Manual
Country flag
I don't think anyone can say for certain what finance companies will or will not do at this point. There's a lot of uncertainty. That's for sure. My car might be "worth" $10K or $14K a few months from now. We'll see.
Sponsored

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I bet the title to my Type R that this is completely incorrect, and you've never spoken to anyone on the other side of a dealership.

Dealers have all sorts of funny accounting to take a bath and still make money on new cars, but for used cars, they have to make profit. With the advent of the internet and the essentially perfectly competitive market that has brought, used car margins are razor thin. My friends who work at an Audi store have $300 to haggle with before they HAVE to let a used buyer walk. My friend at a VW store has $0. The price is the price. If they want a penny off, sorry, come back when you've got a Lincoln.

JimmyGee252

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T Sedan 6M, 2000 S2000
Country flag
My current Civic hatch has been a fun car. It's stock other than the Hondata tune. My lease is up in 10 months, and I'm starting the process of deciding what to do. Option 1) Buy the Civic. Buy out is $13,300. It's fun, economical, and practical. Option 2) Turn it in and purchase a used sports car for $15K or so. I'm thinking Miata hardtop or ecoboost Mustang. What I'm wrestling with is the balance between fun and practicality... The spectrum of sacrifice. I can toss my mountain bike in the back of my car, get groceries, have passengers, etc. Is the sacrifice worth it to have a dedicated rear wheel drive sports car? Will the driving experience be that much better? I'd have to get a rack or hitch for my bike. I'd lose trunk space. Fortunately it's just my wife and I with no kids. I also can't afford to have a toy car. Any car I get will be my daily driver. I live in Wisconsin, so I deal with winter. I'm not afraid of rear wheel drive in the snow. I use winter tires. Has anybody here daily drove a sports car? What would you do if you were in my situation?
I had a 2011 Civic Si (recently traded in on a low-mileage EX-T 6M) and I kept it because it was so fun to drive, reliable and practical at the same time. Of course, these are the traits that make Hondas great! I chose to wait and then add a sports car, a pristine 2000 S2000. You just canā€™t beat having both cars. I live in New England and even with Winter tires, sports cars are just not very good Winter cars.

Honda Civic 10th gen Civic vs Dedicated Sports Car 19D1D8E4-3F75-45D4-9D7C-A9F90E664016

The ā€˜newā€™ EX-T 6M

Honda Civic 10th gen Civic vs Dedicated Sports Car FAFA6ADC-4432-4B95-91E8-4D660188F179

The S2000

JimmyG

OP
OP
jrschultz

jrschultz

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Manual
Country flag
Another car I'm considering as a "do everything" is a Veloster N with performance package. That car would give me just about everything I desire a car to be, but I can drive it year round without issue. It's less practical than my Civic, but more practical than a sports car. Again - I have to decide if the price difference is worth it. A CPO Veloster N might be a great buy considering everything you get with it. Decisions, decisions!

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
And they are. They gotta pay for the building and people and any repairs it needs.

Or as a hedge for the bath they're about to take at auction.
I know a few people who worked and work at the South Carolina BMW plant ( and Iā€™m quoting what they say ) that the employees are under paid and the company treats them like crap and most of their employment is temporary. End quote

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
What does that have to do with dealers?
ha! the mechanics at the dealership have to fix a a lot of mistakes from the plant and a lot of disgruntled employees
yes I work in a right to work state and I pefer working above the mason Dickson line

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Another car I'm considering as a "do everything" is a Veloster N with performance package. That car would give me just about everything I desire a car to be, but I can drive it year round without issue. It's less practical than my Civic, but more practical than a sports car. Again - I have to decide if the price difference is worth it. A CPO Veloster N might be a great buy considering everything you get with it. Decisions, decisions!
The Veloster N is a riot from what I hear. A bit plasticky, but the exhaust is so good for a 4 cylinder car (unlike the Type R...).

FWDFREDO

First Name
Alfredo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si, Honda Ruckus
Country flag
My current Civic hatch has been a fun car. It's stock other than the Hondata tune. My lease is up in 10 months, and I'm starting the process of deciding what to do. Option 1) Buy the Civic. Buy out is $13,300. It's fun, economical, and practical. Option 2) Turn it in and purchase a used sports car for $15K or so. I'm thinking Miata hardtop or ecoboost Mustang. What I'm wrestling with is the balance between fun and practicality... The spectrum of sacrifice. I can toss my mountain bike in the back of my car, get groceries, have passengers, etc. Is the sacrifice worth it to have a dedicated rear wheel drive sports car? Will the driving experience be that much better? I'd have to get a rack or hitch for my bike. I'd lose trunk space. Fortunately it's just my wife and I with no kids. I also can't afford to have a toy car. Any car I get will be my daily driver. I live in Wisconsin, so I deal with winter. I'm not afraid of rear wheel drive in the snow. I use winter tires. Has anybody here daily drove a sports car? What would you do if you were in my situation?
I work at a car shop and we see more miatas than mustangs due to being a misty German and Asian Import shop, but those are definitely two different vehicles. The Miata, which Iā€™ve owned 2 gens of, is the closest thing to analog in terms of sports roadster. The Mustang on the other hand, is a beefy car and not as compact as your civic of course. I feel like the size will really bother you since youā€™re coming from driving a civic. Long hood, back seats but still not enough space to carry things comfortably while the Miata is smaller but definitely not useful in terms of space at all. The new gen doesnā€™t even have a glovebox.

any other cars in mind?

GalcticM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Honda Accord, 2012 Honda CR-V, 2020 CTR CW
Country flag
To me it sounds like a newer Si Sedan is the way to go. LSD to fly through corners, a platform you can add more power to if desired. The heated seats and FWD would be more than fine in the winter if you would be willing to settle with a RWD Mustang. Honda reliability with plenty of room. Only question is if you can fit bikes in effectively. I think the Si is the sweet spot for most people in practicality, performance, fun, price and reliability.

PdxJose

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Keep your civic and buy a 1997 Miata as a project car ??

Z3papa

First Name
Clark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2011 BMW M3
Country flag
I know a few people who worked and work at the South Carolina BMW plant ( and Iā€™m quoting what they say ) that the employees are under paid and the company treats them like crap and most of their employment is temporary. End quote
Wow -- not my experience at all. I've been there 5-6 times, toured the facility and ate lunch with work crews half of those times. I was there multiple times when it hosted Z homecoming during which they had free fix-it clinics, tours, all day use of the drive facility. While they could have been putting on a corporate face, the reality is even in Greenville, they all said they loved working there and having the jobs. Many had been there from day 1 and certainly not temporary.

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Wow -- not my experience at all. I've been there 5-6 times, toured the facility and ate lunch with work crews half of those times. I was there multiple times when it hosted Z homecoming during which they had free fix-it clinics, tours, all day use of the drive facility. While they could have been putting on a corporate face, the reality is even in Greenville, they all said they loved working there and having the jobs. Many had been there from day 1 and certainly not temporary.
This is some people just like any other job like some people like working at Walmart and some ( which is many) hate working there also this is at every place of employment
Sponsored