Civic vs Cruze vs Elantra vs Corolla vs Sentra

lmoore1436

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX BNP
Motor trend did a comparison of all compact cars, needless to say the sentra was dead last, and next to dead last was the corolla. The cruze did surprisingly well, I'm not a fan of the styling but it sounds like they got quite a bit right with the redesign. Forgot to mention in the title that the Jetta is in there as well.

http://www.motortrend.com/news/2016-2017-big-test-compact-sedans/
Sponsored

Gavnzdad

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car reviews are just opinions anyway. All you're getting is the opinions of those particular people.

OP
OP
lmoore1436

lmoore1436

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX BNP
Car reviews are just opinions anyway. All you're getting is the opinions of those particular people.
Very true, I'm a Motor Trend fan though. Plus they get pretty detailed when comparing price per feature, 5 year cost to own, and mpg EPA estimates vs. real life. Truth be told I spend more time reading about cars than I should but hey, that is why I'm on this forum after all ;)

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I feel bad because I immediately scrolled down to see the winner... :oops:

...because I didn't expect anything else :)
Who in their right mind buys a Sentra after that analysis? Every major and minor publication grills it. 7th place and highest cost to own, yet they discount them like mad at the dealership. :lol:

Very impressed with the Cruze though, that nice saddle brown leather at this price point is quite nice.

And that one aerial pic makes the Elantra look like a Fusion clone...

OP
OP
lmoore1436

lmoore1436

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX BNP
I feel bad because I immediately scrolled down to see the winner... :oops:

...because I didn't expect anything else :)
Who in their right mind buys a Sentra after that analysis? Every major and minor publication grills it. 7th place and highest cost to own, yet they discount them like mad at the dealership. :lol:

Very impressed with the Cruze though, that nice saddle brown leather at this price point is quite nice.

And that one aerial pic makes the Elantra look like a Fusion clone...
Haha don't feel bad... start at the end and work your way backwards :p

I've driven a sentra and I definitely think it is not for anyone who likes A) being in a car b) driving a car. Honestly though, an old friend of mine got that car for 15 and some change out the door, so for someone looking for the cheapest car they can buy they found a winner! The only other car I know of that is cheaper than that is the Mitsubishi Mirage, but I wouldn't go so far as to call that a car.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Haha don't feel bad... start at the end and work your way backwards :p

I've driven a sentra and I definitely think it is not for anyone who likes A) being in a car b) driving a car. Honestly though, an old friend of mine got that car for 15 and some change out the door, so for someone looking for the cheapest car they can buy they found a winner! The only other car I know of that is cheaper than that is the Mitsubishi Mirage, but I wouldn't go so far as to call that a car.
The Sentra is a car that's for someone who wants four wheels and an engine cheaply. You're right, they most likely hate driving and hate their car too lol.

I think the EPA classifies the Mirage as a go-kart.

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Motor Trend has been my favourite since I was a kid! Nice to see our car of the year cleaning up in most categories :nixon: I love how the compare the HyunDIE engine to an industrial motor hahahaha

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
No, actually, it's not a "matter of opinion" that the sentra and the coralla are inferior. It's an objective fact. Read the specs and performance characteristics of each.

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Hahaha what is this!? Everyone's hating on you this week @Gavnzdad
The Corolla maybe boring and not up to snuff on the spec sheet, but I'd be willing to bet that it'll last just as long as our new civics, while the Mazda has long been scrapped from rusting out and the Hyundai broken down from anything and everything kind of issues that WILL arise after 3 years, I always laugh when I hear a HyunDIE / Kia gets awarded JD power best in initial quality :rofl:, but then again, thats MY opinion.. :eek:

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
Car and Driver,(I think),has a comparison on line between Civic, Mazda 3, Sentra, Cruz, and Hundai something, I forgot which model. They rank them; Sentra last,Hundai 4th, Cruz 3rd,Civic 2nd, and Mazda 1st.
But they added that if not for the CVT in the Civic they would have ranked the Civic first and the Mazda second.The Mazda doesn't have a CVT.

OP
OP
lmoore1436

lmoore1436

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX BNP
Car and Driver,(I think),has a comparison on line between Civic, Mazda 3, Sentra, Cruz, and Hundai something, I forgot which model. They rank them; Sentra last,Hundai 4th, Cruz 3rd,Civic 2nd, and Mazda 1st.
But they added that if not for the CVT in the Civic they would have ranked the Civic first and the Mazda second.The Mazda doesn't have a CVT.
Yeah, I don't really notice the CVT anymore though now that I'm used to it. I don't drive too crazy but it seems to just kind of stay out of the way. In aggressive driving is where you notice it the most. I understand why it's a deal breaker for some though.

cycledrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Accord sedan 4 cyl
If I may spout off my opinions about these cars / brands please .... I haven't driven all these cars, some of them I don't care to -

1) Sentra interior - driver's seat position very poor and tacky, it doesn't lower down into car much. That was all it took and I was out of that POS

2) Corolla - mind-numbingly poor seat layout. Major excessive tilt in the seat cushion, slamming up on my thighs.

3) 2017 Elantra - Very good looking redesign. Nice seat, position adjusts up nicely, good for very tall drivers too. no electric parking brake or Brake Hold though. the 2016 Elantra looked like pooh to me though. Good to see the big improvement.

4) Cruze - I'm not familiar with it

5) Civic - I actually have a 2016 EX-T Civic sedan rental in hand now, put 200 miles on it so far. I'm trying to rule it out for possible purchase. For me, the weakest point is the driver seat bottom cushion. I feel a mild but constant nudge along my thighs from the bottom bolsters, so the cushion is a tad narrow. Not horrible, but doesn't feel as close to luxury as the Accord. Civic ride quality awfully good for a smaller car, but the Accord feels closer to luxury as it ought to.
If I look more into Civic, it'll have to have the 8-way power seat so easier to adjust up the position, and you get tilt adjust too.

carlson03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2017 EXL Pilot AWD Sensing
If I may spout off my opinions about these cars / brands please .... I haven't driven all these cars, some of them I don't care to -

1) Sentra interior - driver's seat position very poor and tacky, it doesn't lower down into car much. That was all it took and I was out of that POS

2) Corolla - mind-numbingly poor seat layout. Major excessive tilt in the seat cushion, slamming up on my thighs.

3) 2017 Elantra - Very good looking redesign. Nice seat, position adjusts up nicely, good for very tall drivers too. no electric parking brake or Brake Hold though. the 2016 Elantra looked like pooh to me though. Good to see the big improvement.

4) Cruze - I'm not familiar with it

5) Civic - I actually have a 2016 EX-T Civic sedan rental in hand now, put 200 miles on it so far. I'm trying to rule it out for possible purchase. For me, the weakest point is the driver seat bottom cushion. I feel a mild but constant nudge along my thighs from the bottom bolsters, so the cushion is a tad narrow. Not horrible, but doesn't feel as close to luxury as the Accord. Civic ride quality awfully good for a smaller car, but the Accord feels closer to luxury as it ought to.
If I look more into Civic, it'll have to have the 8-way power seat so easier to adjust up the position, and you get tilt adjust too.
How did you like the civic rental overall? I can understand where you are coming from with the Accord...I used to have an 06 Accord Coupe, EXL, Navi, fully loaded....so why did I go with a civic? A lot for me was cost...I negotiated a new EX-T civic for not much more than a used 13 Accord...yeah, yeah, the new cars loose value, but I am okay with a car driving it off the lot with 6 miles vs 45k :)
Overall, there are things that I miss in the Accord, leather, navi...but the civic is a great compromise to get that sporty feel that coupe had -- ultimately, I needed a sedan to haul my boy around in, or I would have kept it...that 4cyl accord engine and transmission were great, that car gave me 0 troubles (only had to replace rear calipers and pads and an 02 sensor, all of which I did), so that is what made me get the Honda, and I didn't try any other car brand for that reason
Sponsored