Civic Type R Worth It?/Daily/Snow

CTtypeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
This really give me a good idea how it will be like in the snow. Hartford/Enfield is only a 5-10 min away. Damn those Karens and their stupid SUVs. :bonk:
another quirk I've noticed: old ladies will love you. I don't know what the deal is, but I live in a condo complex that is predominantly elderly people. I'm 27 and most of my neighbors are over double my age. There are six women over the age of 60 that compliment the car and ask me about it every time they see me. It's the most bizarre thing I've ever experienced.
Sponsored

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 86, '19 CTR, Some other stuff
Country flag
Bottom line, as far as you’re concerned, if you don’t plan on tracking the Type R, you have no business buying it. Right? And, as far as understanding is concerned, I’m told that I’m a reasonably bright guy (I just gave you an opportunity to insult me...go ahead...you’ll feel better).
Okay

TypeWavey

Free The Wave
First Name
Spike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R, 2016 Aprilia RSV4
Country flag
The FK8 is a beast of a daily. Probably the best car I’ve ever had, but Ima brokeboi so that doesn’t mean much. I actually plan on moving to New England in the near future and the CTR will be my only car, and I’m not worried at all. If I were in your position owning a Supra already, I would definitely look into a vehicle with higher ground clearance and AWD. If I could afford a second vehicle it would definitely be a truck. I’d love a Raptor, but Taco’s are dope too.

My CTR is my daily here in Ohio. My gf has a WRX. We just had our first snowfall a few days ago and I honestly almost regret getting my CTR. I drove her car with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires and felt so confident. The car was perfect. My CTR has the same tires and I had at least 4 heart attacks on my drive to work. Yes you can drive it but snow tires will be better.

I also find the WRX to be more drivable and has a more usable power band in daily driving conditions. The type R has more power and is faster but most of this power is in the upper rpm. Even with the Hondata tune the car in 1st and 2nd gear needs to be revved to feel any real power. Any fun that I have usually comes at the risk of a speeding ticket. I will say once I hit 3rd gear the car is an absolute missile.

If I had the choice again I think I'd go with the WRX in this climate.
Having come from a 2016 WRX in MD, I would def buy the CTR over any Subaru several times over. The CTR is so much better to drive in a spirited & casual manner, and it doesn’t take much to get the power out of it. The only thing I miss is launching off the line and the AWD “peace of mind” I had in the winter. The WRX stock tune is unbearable to drive. The clutch & transmission just flat out suck. My WRX was stage 2 tuned and still fell flat after 4k rpm.

I bought my CTR in Feb of this year and it did just fine on the stock tires for the remainder of the winter. It even snowed a week after I purchased it, and I had no issues. But Im definitely getting a winter set up for this winter. I also thought I’d miss the heated seats coming from a Limited, but the material of the stock seats feel warm & cozy so I wouldn’t even think of adding it to this car. The less tech it has in it the better as for a weight & reliability stand point.

You might want to look into a lightly used RS3. It’s the only other car I’d have over the Type R with similar specs right now. AWD & 400hp should make for an even better daily.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
The FK8 is a beast of a daily. Probably the best car I’ve ever had, but Ima brokeboi so that doesn’t mean much. I actually plan on moving to New England in the near future and the CTR will be my only car, and I’m not worried at all. If I were in your position owning a Supra already, I would definitely look into a vehicle with higher ground clearance and AWD. If I could afford a second vehicle it would definitely be a truck. I’d love a Raptor, but Taco’s are dope too.

Having come from a 2016 WRX in MD, I would def buy the CTR over any Subaru several times over. The CTR is so much better to drive in a spirited & casual manner, and it doesn’t take much to get the power out of it. The only thing I miss is launching off the line and the AWD “peace of mind” I had in the winter. The WRX stock tune is unbearable to drive. The clutch & transmission just flat out suck. My WRX was stage 2 tuned and still fell flat after 4k rpm.

I bought my CTR in Feb of this year and it did just fine on the stock tires for the remainder of the winter. It even snowed a week after I purchased it, and I had no issues. But Im definitely getting a winter set up for this winter. I also thought I’d miss the heated seats coming from a Limited, but the material of the stock seats feel warm & cozy so I wouldn’t even think of adding it to this car. The less tech it has in it the better as for a weight & reliability stand point.

You might want to look into a lightly used RS3. It’s the only other car I’d have over the Type R with similar specs right now. AWD & 400hp should make for an even better daily.
You really lucked out going through any winter months with the summer stock tires on there. Seriously be careful out there - For an idea how bad the difference is (there is not a skill factor involved with attempting summer tires in the winter)

This will sober anyone up.

Last edited:

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You really lucked out going through any winter months with the summer stock tires on there. Seriously be careful out there - For an idea how bad the difference is (there is not a skill factor involved with attempting summer tires in the winter)

This will sober anyone up.
After I got my CTR last March (2018), I was on the OEM tires and when I was driving home it was flurrying. About a coating to maybe a bit more got on the ground... and I got caught in it. I made it home safely, but holy shit never again.

In Winter I put all seasons on, and yeah I know, tHrEe SeAsOn TiReS and whatnot, but I haven't had an issue with them in the winter.

OP
OP
Kingtai5

Kingtai5

First Name
Gianni
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Supra
Country flag
In Winter I put all seasons on, and yeah I know, tHrEe SeAsOn TiReS and whatnot, but I haven't had an issue with them in the winter.
Yeah I never had issues in all seasons when they were on my civic touring. The only thing was making a 90 degree sharp turn to my road at 25mph; it slipped a little but it's easy to save the slip by letting go of the gas. I believe it was 7-8 inches of snow that day. Majority of other places don't deal this type of snow...well besides Ohio but yeah.

AaronTV

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Focus RS - Race Red, 2016 Mazda MX-5 Club
Country flag
Winter driving: I live in Wisconsin and daily drove a 2018 Type-R (CW! It is lovely in person) throughout last winter with 18s wrapped in Michelin X-Ice tires. In the spring I sold the car. That about sums up my experience.

For a little more detail, I'd driven a 2016 Focus RS the previous winter and, honestly, it was SO much better for those conditions. I liked the Type-R more in summer. But winter is a reality in Wisconsin. I describe the difference between the two like this: The Type-R on winter tires could get where I needed to go as long as I was careful (basically like any "normal" car in winter) but the Focus RS on winter tires OWNS the road while doing so. I took the RS out on snow covered streets late at night...just for fun! I never did that with the Type-R because driving it in winter just wasn't fun, for me. Lack of heated seats/steering wheel was a bummer too.

I recently bought another Focus RS (race red 2018) and plan to enjoy it for several years this time =)

RonSwanson's

First Name
Mikey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatch Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My CTR is my daily here in Ohio. My gf has a WRX. We just had our first snowfall a few days ago and I honestly almost regret getting my CTR. I drove her car with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires and felt so confident. The car was perfect. My CTR has the same tires and I had at least 4 heart attacks on my drive to work. Yes you can drive it but snow tires will be better.

I also find the WRX to be more drivable and has a more usable power band in daily driving conditions. The type R has more power and is faster but most of this power is in the upper rpm. Even with the Hondata tune the car in 1st and 2nd gear needs to be revved to feel any real power. Any fun that I have usually comes at the risk of a speeding ticket. I will say once I hit 3rd gear the car is an absolute missile.

If I had the choice again I think I'd go with the WRX in this climate.
Does the civic get way better gas mpg than the WRX?

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Does the civic get way better gas mpg than the WRX?
WRX is 21 city / 27 highway, so yes. CTR is 22 city and 28 highway. Not a large difference. The real gas hog is the WRX STI.

eshults5

First Name
Eugene C Shults
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Dear CTR Owners,

I'm fortunate enough to afford/buy a 2020 Supra(It's a BMW, yes I've heard the joke plenty of times) at the age of 21 but soon realized that it's not the smartest idea to daily drive the Supra in New England considering the hellish weather. My first car was a 2017 Touring Civic, I loved the thing and even drove it through a blizzard in Connecticut with ease while Ford/Chevy trucks were breaking down on the highway next to me. I've alway wanted a Type R/ learn how to drive stick. I just have a few questions;
  • How is it in the snow?
  • How bad is the heating issues?
  • Is the gear grind resolved?
  • Has anyone installed UK features on their US models like Lanewatch, folding mirrors, heated seat, ect..?
  • How is it as a daily driver?
  • Is it worth it and should I get one?
Really considering a CTR because of its reliability/aggressive design. Though..if I'm getting the CTR, all of the fake carbon/plastic got to go and replaced with real carbon. Fake vents will be drilled out or replaced with functional ducts.
Snow is doable with all season tires (I use Continental DSW). You're in New England though so the snow is heavier there. I've daily'd my Type R for the last year and have had no issues. I'm outside of Philly which gets snow but not as bad as New England. If we do get real heavy snow days I'm just working from home. My car is also garaged which really makes it easier to manage winter weather.

RonSwanson's

First Name
Mikey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatch Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
WRX is 21 city / 27 highway, so yes. CTR is 22 city and 28 highway. Not a large difference. The real gas hog is the WRX STI.
Thanks! I had a truck before my sport hatch civic. I really wanted a WRX or impreza but needed a car with great mpg for my commute. That's really close mpg. Have fun with that boxer rumble for me!
Sponsored