9xArtanisx9

inactive account
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hello, I posting this thread because I'm interest in looking for a new replacement for my civic hatchback sport. The CTR was in my choices along with the Golf R (dsg), S550 Mustang GT, n54 335i, 2015 Sti, and a Terminator Cobra. I just wanted some opinions on the CTR based on daily driving and just overall drive quality. I understand the ctr isn't intended for daily driving, but I would love to daily it. I'm not looking for the fastest or the most bonkers car on the list, I like the aesthetics of the ctr. Is it worth upgrading or trading in my hatchback sport? I love my hatch sport, but I think it's time for an upgrade. Thanks!
Sponsored

rey2300

Rey23
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R #01928
Country flag
Hello, I posting this thread because I'm interest in looking for a new replacement for my civic hatchback sport. The CTR was in my choices along with the Golf R (dsg), S550 Mustang GT, n54 335i, 2015 Sti, and a Terminator Cobra. I just wanted some opinions on the CTR based on daily driving and just overall drive quality. I understand the ctr isn't intended for daily driving, but I would love to daily it. I'm not looking for the fastest or the most bonkers car on the list, I like the aesthetics of the ctr. Is it worth upgrading or trading in my hatchback sport? I love my hatch sport, but I think it's time for an upgrade. Thanks!
Yes, it is worth it. I daily mine with a commute ranging from 45-90 minutes one way sometimes in heavy traffic. My only complaint using it as a daily is that in rush hour traffic I don't get to drive the car to it's potential lol. I have a 6 year old and he has plenty of leg room in the back seat. The hatch is large enough that storage space isn't an issue. The seats are quite comfortable, I've never gotten tired of sitting in them.

I mainly keep mine in Sport Mode because the roads around here are pretty rough, +R mode gets very stiff with the suspension. Comfort mode softens the ride quite a bit, but I don't like the feel of the steering in Comfort mode.

The R is so unique, I've only seen 3 other ones on the road in the last year. It is definitely capable of being a daily drive car.

OP
OP
9xArtanisx9

9xArtanisx9

inactive account
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yes, it is worth it. I daily mine with a commute ranging from 45-90 minutes one way sometimes in heavy traffic. My only complaint using it as a daily is that in rush hour traffic I don't get to drive the car to it's potential lol. I have a 6 year old and he has plenty of leg room in the back seat. The hatch is large enough that storage space isn't an issue. The seats are quite comfortable, I've never gotten tired of sitting in them.

I mainly keep mine in Sport Mode because the roads around here are pretty rough, +R mode gets very stiff with the suspension. Comfort mode softens the ride quite a bit, but I don't like the feel of the steering in Comfort mode.

The R is so unique, I've only seen 3 other ones on the road in the last year. It is definitely capable of being a daily drive car.
Thanks for the reply @rey2300. How is the shifting? Is it short, long or just right? Also, if you don't mind me asking, how bad is the insurance? Thanks

ShaRm3064

First Name
Sharmilan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda CIvic Type R #3064 Crystal Black Pearl
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks for the reply @rey2300. How is the shifting? Is it short, long or just right? Also, if you don't mind me asking, how bad is the insurance? Thanks
Shifter is very firm and short(maybe 2.5 inch travel from 1st to second) and you can feel when your in gear makes a nice clicking sound and feels right.

rey2300

Rey23
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R #01928
Country flag
This is the first manual I've ever owned so I can't really compare the shifting to anything else. It was very easy to get used to it though. I've let a few other friends drive it and they said the shifting felt very good.

Insurance is very affordable. I only pay $64 a month.

18CarEnthusiast18

First Name
N/A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
Somewhat old thread, but as long as it takes to mind a Type R and at a good price you may still be in the market. I respond as I have insight on some of the cars you are considering and also I was considering most of the same ones...

Golf R- I never looked at or considered as I am just not a VW fan for w/e reason. Never have really paid VW much attention.

S550 Mustang- Almost bought one as I have owned many Mustangs. Just the prices drove me away. Just outrageous for a decent equipped on. Sticker 47K for GT Premium with performance pack, magnaride, and active exhaust. Dealers will typical do 5 to 7K off sticker and then do even greater on previous model years once the new model year starts to arrive.

335i- is a good car and I have know a few people who loved their 335 and 135.

Sti- was heavily considering until a member on here gave me his review going from his Sti to his new Type R. The things he said pretty much knock the Sti off my consideration list.

Terminator Cobra- Just getting up there in age for still a decent premium price. Also hard to find a clean one that hasn't been abused for a reasonable price.

I have had my Type R for about a week and just got over 600 miles yesterday so up until yesterday I was taking it what I would consider fairly easy and to others maybe really easy or only kind of easy, but none the less not over 4K. Last night after getting over 650 miles I did open it up a little about half throttle and shifts under 5K and I will say you can tell the power is there. The handling you can really tell is there as it feels great around turns. I am coming from a 2013 Boss 302 and saying this so that should give perspective and mean something. haha

Insurance isn't bad at all really. It is in line with what I expected. I think it is cheaper than my Boss was actually, but I would have to double check that. I think it is about the same as my wife's Pilot to be honest, but again would have to check. I will say I was not in price shock in any way when I added it I do know that.

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport (Traded in), 2022 BIG PRIUS
Country flag
I will give my vote to the mustang. The 2018 5.0 is just impressive.

NinjamanCTR

Space Force Special Forces
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R, 2018 Ford Expedition Limited, 1998 Ford Contour aka the beater.
If you don't have kids, go with the Mustang. If you simply have a soft spot for Honda, you really can't go wrong with the CTR. It is an amazing car and although it doesn't compare to the supercharged C7 Vette I had, it can still hold its own very, very well. Especially with some minor modifications.

OP
OP
9xArtanisx9

9xArtanisx9

inactive account
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Somewhat old thread, but as long as it takes to mind a Type R and at a good price you may still be in the market. I respond as I have insight on some of the cars you are considering and also I was considering most of the same ones...

Golf R- I never looked at or considered as I am just not a VW fan for w/e reason. Never have really paid VW much attention.

S550 Mustang- Almost bought one as I have owned many Mustangs. Just the prices drove me away. Just outrageous for a decent equipped on. Sticker 47K for GT Premium with performance pack, magnaride, and active exhaust. Dealers will typical do 5 to 7K off sticker and then do even greater on previous model years once the new model year starts to arrive.

Sti- was heavily considering until a member on here gave me his review going from his Sti to his new Type R. The things he said pretty much knock the Sti off my consideration list.

Terminator Cobra- Just getting up there in age for still a decent premium price. Also hard to find a clean one that hasn't been abused for a reasonable price.

I have had my Type R for about a week and just got over 600 miles yesterday so up until yesterday I was taking it what I would consider fairly easy and to others maybe really easy or only kind of easy, but none the less not over 4K. Last night after getting over 650 miles I did open it up a little about half throttle and shifts under 5K and I will say you can tell the power is there. The handling you can really tell is there as it feels great around turns. I am coming from a 2013 Boss 302 and saying this so that should give perspective and mean something. haha

Insurance isn't bad at all really. It is in line with what I expected. I think it is cheaper than my Boss was actually, but I would have to double check that. I think it is about the same as my wife's Pilot to be honest, but again would have to check. I will say I was not in price shock in any way when I added it I do know that.
I mean, I wasn't looking at something too new. I wanted a used 2015-2017 mustang gt premium performance pack. I think the CTR's are still overpriced, knowing that I can get more car for the same amount of money. All my friends say it's not worth getting 300hp in fwd since it spins. I mean, I don't really drive fast what so ever. I'll have to think my choices over. I'm test driving the newer Miata Rf Club. I think that might be the car I'm getting. All these high hp cars are only trouble. I can have fun in a Miata while driving slow... lol, plus the retractable fastback is a work of art.

18CarEnthusiast18

First Name
N/A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
I mean, I wasn't looking at something too new. I wanted a used 2015-2017 mustang gt premium performance pack. I think the CTR's are still overpriced, knowing that I can get more car for the same amount of money. All my friends say it's not worth getting 300hp in fwd since it spins. I mean, I don't really drive fast what so ever. I'll have to think my choices over. I'm test driving the newer Miata Rf Club. I think that might be the car I'm getting. All these high hp cars are only trouble. I can have fun in a Miata while driving slow... lol, plus the retractable fastback is a work of art.
I had more spin with my 2013 Boss 302 and more spin with my 2011 5.0 both with nice sticky tires than I do with my CTR on stock wheels/tires. The CTR is really engineered amazing. Very little torque steer as well. I haven't launched it from a dead stop, but have done heavy acceleration in 1st-3rd and very little torque steer in straight line. Now when taking a on or off ramp and accelerating you do feel it a little and that is taking getting used to as it is a much different felling with FWD than RWD. I am very used to RWD and not so much FWD. haha

Miata like you said aren't fast and a whole different animal. Fun cars and like you said a slow car isn't bad. You can have 8 or so seconds of fun and be under the 65MPH speed limit where as the CTR is what 4.8 seconds of fun or the 2013 Boss 302 was 3.8 seconds of fun to stay under 65... haha So yep more fun can be had longer in a slow car. For me though I like my fast cars. I love being laid back in my seat under acceleration. I miss it in coming form a Boss 302 to the CTR, but honestly I think the CTR may handle the on/off ramps better. Shhhh though don't tell my buddies over on the Mustang forum I said that. hahaha

2017civicext

R-15474
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW Type R, 2021 CBP Civic Sport Hatchback
Country flag

Do you happen to have a link to the video of the guy that went from STI to a type R. Very curious to watch this

evansc22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
I'm really curious what the OP went with! LOL
Man, I'm really curious what car you went with! LOL

OP
OP
9xArtanisx9

9xArtanisx9

inactive account
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm really curious what the OP went with! LOL

Man, I'm really curious what car you went with! LOL
I'm still in the decision phase. I know it kind of goes against this post, but the lease is ending soon. I'm sticking with good MPG. I've refined it down to the 17 Golf GTI Autobahn, 18 Miata RF Club, maybe a CTR, and a Golf R. I found a 2015 Golf R with 30k miles for $25, no accidents, clean title. I'm also considering a Tesla Model 3. I know, but it's a good car.

evansc22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
I'm still in the decision phase. I know it kind of goes against this post, but the lease is ending soon. I'm sticking with good MPG. I've refined it down to the 17 Golf GTI Autobahn, 18 Miata RF Club, maybe a CTR, and a Golf R. I found a 2015 Golf R with 30k miles for $25, no accidents, clean title. I'm also considering a Tesla Model 3. I know, but it's a good car.
I cast no judgement! I also looked at the Golf R, GTI, Focus RS, etc. My wife is dead set against the VW & the Focus. I could veto that, but decided to keep looking. I really like my EX hatch, but my son needs a vehicle for college and I'm thinking of passing it along to him so it has me wondering what's next! I'm even considering going back to the Mustang GT! I've seen the Civic Type R in person, sat in the seats, and like it, but I'm not sure I want to deal with a manual on a day-to-day basis.

Best of luck in your search and decision process.
Sponsored