Civic Type R vs Focus RS

Boostlag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NC2 MX5 (Miata)
Country flag
I think its fantastic that both the RS and Type R is available. They're both fantastic cars, as a petrohead I don't understand the hate and fanboysim on both sides.
Sponsored

seetohey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2018 M2; Future: CTR
I think its fantastic that both the RS and Type R is available. They're both fantastic cars, as a petrohead I don't understand the hate and fanboysim on both sides.
I agree, I don't think we're trying to bash here. Or at least I wasn't trying to. I'm a hot hatch fan in general and have been envious of all the hot hatches Europe has gotten over the years that we've missed out on here in the States. Some people want AWD, straight line speed, and the ability to drift. Some people want the fastest hatch around a circuit. Different strokes for different folks.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
For sure. Competition is always a good thing for the consumer.
I wouldn't buy it, but I really hope the new STi, whenever it's due, is awesome. I'd love to see EVO come back. I'd even be happy if Nissan rebadged some Renault Megane or something to make a true Sentra SpecR or something...

Banshee

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3, 07 Civic Si, 17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Focus RS did it's Nurburgring lap...8:06.
type-R (2016) 7:50
Type-R (2017) 7:45.8 IIRC
I was going to put up the Ring time for the RS, then seen your post.
You were off by 2 seconds
Type-R (2017) 7:43.8

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Dude on Jalopnik was like its just a civic blah blah blah, RS is the best. Id never pay $35k for a civic. I was like but youd pay $40k for a Focus lol. God its obnoxious.

jonnys_honda

First Name
Jonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R #1288
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
How about you kids do some actual research - like I posted earlier in this thread

http://www.vorshlag.com/forums/showthread.php?p=58381

Buying a Focus RS gets you.......

Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R vs Focus RS DSC_2317-X3

THIS IS YOUR DRIVESHAFT.....yes....that puny thing....

Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R vs Focus RS DSC_2310-X3

THIS IS YOUR REAR DIFF......tiny, can't handle power or heat, and DISENGAGES COMPLETELY when it overheats

Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R vs Focus RS DSC_2312-X3

Rear suspension - practically ALL steel. Man, talk about quality...
Man I had no idea the quality was THAT bad!

Wheel_Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Passport Elite, '16 Ducati Multistrada 1200 Enduro
Country flag
Agreed. I'm a Honda fan boy so I personally wouldn't buy an RS or a Golf R or STi or anything else... but that doesn't mean those cars suck. For my friends that like Fords, I try really hard to get them to buy an RS. At least it isn't a cars-and-coffee pedestrian killing Mustang. ;) Sorry I had to throw that in.

For VW guys, the Gti and R are both awesome cars. The ClubSport is super sweet. Would I ever buy a VW? Nope. That's because I'm a Honda guy. But if either the ClubSport or RS came with a red H badge on the front of it, we'd all be loving it so don't kid ourselves.

In all seriousness, most of us haven't driven all these cars, so we're talking out of our butts if we're talking too much smack. I've driven a lot of nice cars much nicer than any of these. Some I love. Others equally nice, I don't. It doesn't make them bad, it just means they're not to our taste. I've not driven any of these hot hatches. I imagine if I did, I would probably appreciate something different in each. They're going to be different but all awesome in their own way.

Last edited:

CivicTypeRMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E350/Soon to be Type R
Country flag
So I'm sure this is a loaded question, but...
Type-R being had for (roughly before a markup)34K.
Focus RS being had for about 37K.

The Focus has +44Hp and 55TQ, and AWD for its extra 3K, what are the reasons to get a Type-R besides: cheaper, Honda fan?

Do we have any direct comparison videos/articles between the two? I feel like the R would seem like a better value if it came in around 30-32K.
Focus RS in Nuringburg is slow...Youtube it

Vaders CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 CLA 45 AMG & '22 Ariel Atom 4
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Did you see the announcement for the BRZ STI? For those complaining about the Type R wing, wait till you see that bad boy. Looks like it is straight from Pep boys. :puke:

Where is that guy that was complaining about the "ricer" Type R and its wing? He would have to say something about that BRZ STI wing being far worse.:D

jonnys_honda

First Name
Jonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R #1288
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Did you see the announcement for the BRZ STI? For those complaining about the Type R wing, wait till you see that bad boy. Looks like it is straight from Pep boys. :puke:

Where is that guy that was complaining about the "ricer" Type R and its wing? He would have to something to say about that BRZ STI wing being far worse.:D
That's not official. It's possible. But more than likely Subaru will announce the WRX STi RA instead on June 8th.

Vaders CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 CLA 45 AMG & '22 Ariel Atom 4
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That's not official. It's possible. But more than likely Subaru will announce the WRX STi RA instead on June 8th.

According to the article it will be announced June 8th.:dunno:

It is funny that Ford (Limited Edition) and Subaru has put this info out as the Type R is on the cusp of being officially announced/arrival.
Sponsored