Civic Type R vs. 2020 Veloster N on TV

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
Tonight 9-18-2020 on the MotorTrend channel they're doing a Head 2 Head comparison of the CTR vs Veloster N.
"Drive It Like You Stole It! 2019 Civic Type R vs. 2020 Veloster N"
Check you local listings if you're interested.
Sponsored

Drake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I rarely think it's worth comparing two vehicles with such a huge difference in price. Sure, you can try and add it in as one of the "factors" you evaluate, but when we're talking ~$38,000 versus ~$28,000 they are nearly in different segments at that point.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I rarely think it's worth comparing two vehicles with such a huge difference in price. Sure, you can try and add it in as one of the "factors" you evaluate, but when we're talking ~$38,000 versus ~$28,000 they are nearly in different segments at that point.
The N is a hard comparison though. Hyundai gave it enough power to nearly match the CTR. The downside with the N is the interior is more low-rent compared to the Honda. The N versus the Si wouldn't be fair either - it has roughly 70 more HP than the Si does. Despite it's price point, the N should be compared with the CTR - which is a pretty big accomplishment for Hyundai.

Drake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si
Country flag
The N is a hard comparison though. Hyundai gave it enough power to nearly match the CTR. The downside with the N is the interior is more low-rent compared to the Honda. The N versus the Si wouldn't be fair either - it has roughly 70 more HP than the Si does. Despite it's price point, the N should be compared with the CTR - which is a pretty big accomplishment for Hyundai.
With the immense gap Honda deliberately designed between the Si and the CTR, there is plenty of room for cars to fit in-between without being the perfect match-up for either. Here's what these reviews always sum up to:
"The N is a little less powerful" - "but it's cheaper"
"The N isn't as quick as the R" - "but it's cheaper"
"The N has a worse interior" - "but it's cheaper"
"The N is less practical" - "but it's cheaper"
"The N has less brand favorability" - "but it's cheaper"

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 86, '19 CTR, Some other stuff
Country flag
Just fyi, you have to add a performance package to the Veloster N. There are also many other variables you're forgetting. If you want HP per $, a Mustang is a better bet.

I'd say the comparison between Si/N is pretty fair.

SixSpeeder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si, 2021 Wrangler Unlimited High Altitude
Country flag
How much someone paid for the vehicle doesn't contribute to the driving experience or the level of performance on a track. There are other cars in the segment that can exceed the price of a Type R with options (GTI, WRX) that don't match the performance of the Type R but do match the price, yet those cars are less comparable than the Veloster N + Type R match up.

Veloster N Performance Package

$30,700

5.1 seconds 0-60 mph

1/4 mile: 13.8 seconds

Skidpad: 0.97 g

https://www.caranddriver.com/hyundai/veloster-n

Civic Type R

$38,000

5.0 seconds 0-60 mph

1/4 mile: 13.5 seconds

Skidpad: 1.02 g

https://www.caranddriver.com/honda/civic-type-r

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just fyi, you have to add a performance package to the Veloster N. There are also many other variables you're forgetting. If you want HP per $, a Mustang is a better bet.

I'd say the comparison between Si/N is pretty fair.
The 2020/2021(?) Veloster N models now by default include the performance package, which is pretty enticing. It's not just HP though - the N hangs with the CTR closely in form of road-holding, fun to drive factor, etc.

• Wow
Reactions: Myx

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
The Type R will obviously come out ahead (except in exhaust sound) in the MT test. But I think the N is one helluva first hot hatch effort from Hyundai and Biermann.

johnvictor

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Corolla
Country flag
I’m shocked that they decided to compare the two. They aren’t even in the same hot hatch tier. The Veloster N definitely compares more to the Focus ST and the Golf GTI.

Also I’m gonna echo this popular statement from Hyundai that ever makes a Elantra GT N, I would happily trade in my Mazda 3 for one.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Last edited:

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yep. That's what I've been saying from day 1. Hyundai wasn't targeting the Type R with the Veloster N. But compared to a well equipped GTI, at a similar price point, the N is way more fun.
I've read some reviews that while the Type R is a better car overall, some people find the N more fun to drive. I have a feeling it's exhaust note is a big part of that.

No reason to hate on either car. The N is a fantastic car for the money, just like the Type R is.

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 86, '19 CTR, Some other stuff
Country flag
The 2020/2021(?) Veloster N models now by default include the performance package, which is pretty enticing. It's not just HP though - the N hangs with the CTR closely in form of road-holding, fun to drive factor, etc.
From all that I've seen, they only compete in great value, but in regards to structured competition, the N gets left behind always. There is no doubt that Hyundai has really pulled some magic with this car, but I just can't get behind it as being something close to a CTR. If it were to compete with the CTR, then that means it competes with the Focus RS.. and I have very, VERY little doubt it can compete with the RS.

A non-performance pack Veloster N is much much closer to a Si. I didn't know they were making the performance pack standard though.

Neciovato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 370z Nismo
Country flag
Comparing the 2 is definitely not a fair fight - like others have said a better comparison would be against a VW GTI, Focus ST or Honda Civic SI. I would say the CTR is more in the bracket when it comes to comparisons to the GolfR, the Focus RS. The Hyundai VN kinda falls in between the 2 segments but when you take into consideration the big difference in price - it just isn’t a fair fight.

Although I will say the - 2021 - if they really include these seats and have the Performance Package standard and maybe add some other upgrades to the car - then maybe it can be fairly compared to the CTR

https://www.carscoops.com/2020/07/2...base-250-hp-model-arrives-in-us-this-october/