FriscoBrah

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Championship White Civic Type R
Country flag
I have an auto in a car that I like very much but want more punch than 180 HP in my Civic. Plenty of Honda's competitors offer that combo (that is an auto tranny with sustantially more horses which approximate or even exceed 250 HP), so what's keeping Honda from matching the competition ?
With the exception of the Golf R in auto none of the competitors are. The STi, Focus RS, Megan, et cetera are all row your own gears so I have no clue what you’re referencing.

I’m happy many manufacturers have stayed true to the enthusiasts by keeping the performance models manual.

It would be sacrilege to offer a Type R as well.
Sponsored

Last edited:

golfer883

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus
Country flag
With the exception of the Golf R in auto none of the competitors do. The STi, Focus RS, Megan, et cetera are all row your own gears so I have no clue what you’re referencing.

I’m happy many manufacturers have stayed true to the enthusiasts by keeping the performance models manual.

Yea in these "economy" fast cars, automatic is rare. However once you get into the more expensive and faster cars, auto becomes more available and popular

SpinRush

First Name
Big Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 ( Waiting )
Country flag
I want a type R with an auto tranny, how long do I have to wait for that configuration in the Honda type "R" ?
Love sticks, owned & drove them for 30 years but now very happy with an auto, don't need or want a clutch anymore but do love my little Civic hatchback just want 300 horses under the hood.
It’s never gonna happen. In fact, as of today, we know that Type R’s are limited now. They are closing the Swindon Plant. BREXIT, as in, putting the brakes on the whole country. Hell, you won’t even be able to get a SI now. You’ll be lucky if you do.

darkborne

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
The fact that Swindon is closing at the end of the model cycle doesn't mean the Type R is limited, likely Honda will shift hatchback/R production to another facility.

nunusguy

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Hatch
Country flag
It’s never gonna happen. In fact, as of today, we know that Type R’s are limited now. They are closing the Swindon Plant. BREXIT, as in, putting the brakes on the whole country. Hell, you won’t even be able to get a SI now. You’ll be lucky if you do.
Last time I checked Honda was a Japanese-based multinational company, you should know that Big Will, so if need be they can relocate to another country right ?
Yea my Civic hatchback was assembled in Britain so assuming demand for these products continue they can be assembled in another country.

UFO CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR#1348
Country flag
Last time I checked Honda was a Japanese-based multinational company, you should know that Big Will, so if need be they can relocate to another country right ?
Yea my Civic hatchback was assembled in Britain so assuming demand for these products continue they can be assembled in another country.
not exactly easily tho...all the tooling and machinery will need to be moved and reset up. The cost to do this may not be worth it, they've (Honda) have already invested initial cost to get the UK factory up and running.
so it is not as simple as pick up and go.

Wheel_Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Passport Elite, '16 Ducati Multistrada 1200 Enduro
Country flag
not exactly easily tho...all the tooling and machinery will need to be moved and reset up. The cost to do this may not be worth it, they've (Honda) have already invested initial cost to get the UK factory up and running.
so it is not as simple as pick up and go.
I imagine they're timing it with the launch of the next gen Civic so they're going to be retooling anyway.

FriscoBrah

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Championship White Civic Type R
Country flag
The fact that Swindon is closing at the end of the model cycle doesn't mean the Type R is limited, likely Honda will shift hatchback/R production to another facility.
10th gen production will end with Swindon. It won’t be moved to another factory.

Wheel_Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Passport Elite, '16 Ducati Multistrada 1200 Enduro
Country flag
10th gen production will end with Swindon. It won’t be moved to another factory.
Yep. The real question that we won't really need to care about for a couple years is, will there be a 11th Gen Type R? My guess is "yes." Will it come to the U.S.? My guess is also "yes" given the success of the 10th Gen here. 10th Gen was going to die in 2021 anyway. This decision has no effect on the current Type R.

nunusguy

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Hatch
Country flag
With the exception of the Golf R in auto none of the competitors are. The STi, Focus RS, Megan, et cetera are all row your own gears so I have no clue what you’re referencing.

I don't get it ?
Why would you even care if the manufacturer builds a variation of the product just to suit my demands as a consumer ? It's just the same vehicle with more options or in more variations.
Please don't tell me you have some notion that the purity of the product is somehow diluted or diminished.

ctrmofo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 lambo lp550-2, '18 honda ctr cw (r-12321), 14' porsche cayman s, '16 porsche macan s, '13 mini jcw nme stage 1, '15 audi s3 apr stage 2, '15 audi q3, '12 monster 1100 evo, '16 triumph thruxton r, deposited for '19 lambo huracan performante
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Does the Badge numbers correspond with the total worldwide CTR sales or is it Country specific?
zero relationship. badge number is literally a badge in a parts bin they randomly pick out and assemble into the console. this has been well documented.

case in point: my last 5 VIN digits are 01561 and serial R-12321...zero relationship and is a 2018.

honda did a great marketing job with ctr by hyping up the "serial #" BUT did not tie it to vin. therefore, can't use serial # to determine exactly how many are built. it's the VIN that's the exact number.

https://driving-tests.org/vin-decoder/

Last edited:

Driveitlikeuboughtit

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR
Country flag
zero relationship. badge number is literally a badge in a parts bin they randomly pick out and assemble into the console. this has been well documented.

case in point: my last 5 VIN digits are 01561 and serial R-12321...zero relationship and is a 2018.

honda did a great marketing job with ctr by hyping up the "serial #" BUT did not tie it to vin. therefore, can't use serial # to determine exactly how many are built. it's the VIN that's the exact number.

https://driving-tests.org/vin-decoder/
Zero relationship? You make it sound like they ordered a million # plates and people are getting random ones. The manufacturing process is more like they have a box of a hundred number plates and they get slapped on the next 100 in no particular order.

There is still a general numbering and each one is unique - the R's sold now are in the 20ks while the ones sold a year ago were in the low teens.

ctrmofo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 lambo lp550-2, '18 honda ctr cw (r-12321), 14' porsche cayman s, '16 porsche macan s, '13 mini jcw nme stage 1, '15 audi s3 apr stage 2, '15 audi q3, '12 monster 1100 evo, '16 triumph thruxton r, deposited for '19 lambo huracan performante
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Zero relationship? You make it sound like they ordered a million # plates and people are getting random ones. The manufacturing process is more like they have a box of a hundred number plates and they get slapped on the next 100 in no particular order.

There is still a general numbering and each one is unique - the R's sold now are in the 20ks while the ones sold a year ago were in the low teens.
Again - you may do research and come back. Honda Pro Jason watched and showed it. Believe or not up to you.

What’s your last VIN 5 digits and what’s your serial?

Zero relationship.
Sponsored