Civic Type R to get CVT option (Update: Debunked)

DavidJBrooks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Honda Accord Sedan 6-6, 2008 Honda Pilot
Country flag
I guess I will wait for a model 3 with ludicrous speed. It will be cheaper (even more so with rebates), luxurious, faster, and environmentally friendly. Its a big mistake not to have a DCT or CVT version to attract a wider audience. Honda M/T is great, but manuals are a dying purist race (less than 3 % of cars built are manual).

In my eyes, a big mistake with this new generation.
You are proceeding from the assumption that Honda wants to sell more CTRs.
Sponsored

firsthonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
g6
I guess I will wait for a model 3 with ludicrous speed. It will be cheaper (even more so with rebates), luxurious, faster, and environmentally friendly. Its a big mistake not to have a DCT or CVT version to attract a wider audience. Honda M/T is great, but manuals are a dying purist race (less than 3 % of cars built are manual).

I do think Honda needs to get on electric fast. Ford is hybridizing the Mustang a hybrid civic with great mileage and some umph would be nice. Plus yes I also think tesla is awesome. Hopefully in a few years I can get a mostly or all electric vehicle. Technology still needs to come down in price.

LoveToDrive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LX MT, 2015 Si (RIP)
You are proceeding from the assumption that Honda wants to sell more CTRs.
My impression is that Honda is not out to sell a huge number of CTR or the Si. Those sales goals are for the other Honda vehicles. Honda always kind of had this.....stance that if one believes and values those Civics for what they are, s/he will buy one.

serif

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
9G Accord V6 Slushbox Sedan
Lol, we're on the same side here, idk if you read the rest of my post... I have the Car Mag Uk issue as well, and I read it as there's a "possibility" of a CVT rather then confirmation. If it were confirmed, the author would have written.. "confirmed". I wrote that in my previous post, but nobody paid it any mind and now it's a story on every major publication. Only time will tell.
I didn't intend to disagree with you, was just using your transcription of the article to debunk the CVT claim. And now we're vindicated!

All-Knowing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NSX
Country flag

You must be a "millennial" :)

All-Knowing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NSX
Country flag
NO way I would have bought a Type R with a CVT anyway, but even offering it would have eroded its credibility with old guys like me, so I'm glad the CVT rumor is dead. It's already hard enough for us old guys to justify buying the Type R with its less than elegant boy-racer styling, fake vents and shipping cart handle on the back. If we had to answer whether or not we manned-up and got a manual or wimped out and got a CVT every time someone stopped us, that would drive me nuts.

I'm prepared to acknowledge it looks childish and that the big black plastic "vents" are mostly, if not completely blocked off, but I can still let them drive it and they'll shut the hell up. Experiencing the best manual transmission in the world has a very effective "shut the hell up" effect on people. If it had a CVT, I couldn't even do that as my friends would laugh so hard at me that they wouldn't even get in it. :)
It has real vents that are functional

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si sedan, 2006 civic si coupe
I'm glad they won't be putting a CVT in the Si and the Type R. Those two cars were meant to be 6 speed manual only, and certainly should stay that way. If you want a cvt get a regular civic. I have driven many cvts and it can be great and all, but I like to shift, I like to have full control. And Cvts will never be as fun and driver engaging as a manual transmission.

JS2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda S2000 , Jeep
Vehicle Showcase
I would have been fine with the CTR having a CVT tranny if it was optimized for performance, I would have also liked a DCT option. The reason I say this is because keeping these vehicles attracted to maximum customers is what is needed these days to keep them in production. Honda can't stomach too many low volume sports cars, as soon as they get close to being unprofitable they axe the models like nobody's business. The Honda S2000 could have gone on longer than it did if they had offered an automatic tranny option, one of the reasons the mazda miata is still around and the S2000 was axed. You can attract a much larger customer base when you have more tranny options, plain and simple, and volume is important on any model.

ronmcdon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 FiestaST, 19 Si, Camaro Z1LE, EvoX, 98 240sx
Country flag
I would have been curious to see how Honda pulls off a CVT in the CTR. despite being very skeptical about it, would have been fun to see the results. Its all in the execution.

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si sedan, 2006 civic si coupe
I'm sorry but the s2000 didn't get axed because Honda didn't offer a automatic lmao. Honda doesn't need to offer cvt to sell cars. Also that's why cvts are offered in the basic civics and other models. The Si and type R were meant to be a 6 speed manual and that's how it will continue to be. Honda said that themselves.

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
Honda most likely axed the S2000 as part of the 2008 economic crisis. They left Formula 1 around 2008 as well.
Sponsored