Civic Type R to get CVT option (Update: Debunked)

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
lol I was in a hurry at work I forgot to add that other websites are going to take Civic x forum's info...
Ya lol apparently we can spew out whatever bs we want and it'll make the news. Click bait sites love all the stuff we stir up :stirthepot:
Sponsored

Tim818

King Of The ‘Ring
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic EX, 2018 CTR
Country flag
lol there's another website that posted the same info, but I'm not gonna link the page over here for various reasons, surprised they wrote what I posted here too..... :popcorn:

Bingzir

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX STI
I've got no issue with there being a CVT offered- But I feel like everyone just needs to remember how GOOD Honda's MT is. I've driven a lot of cars and I it's hard to find another gear box I love as much as Honda's. There are plenty of possible buyers for the CTR that are probably jumping with joy that they won't have to commute with a MT. The Evo X MR with its DCT sold great and is FAST. But, Honda's MT is literally a selling point for me. If you are a perspective buyer and need convincing: find a friend with an Si and take a quick test drive. You'll see what I mean.

bobindy

Bobindy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Civic Si 4 door
Country flag
Given an option for a different transmission, I wonder if it means the CTR won't be such a limited model afterall...
I was thinking the same thing but if it does remain very limited production it will likely drive up demand even more if a buyer isn't willing to settle for one over the other. For me personally I can't imagine why anyone would buy a car like this and not want a manual but that's my opinion.

Last edited:

JYR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
8th gen Si
Country flag
Most of the industry, outside of Automotive News, is getting their info from sites like CivicX. Read the first sentence of the article Tim posted for proof of that. If you want to make a few bucks, start up a click bait website with a bunch of Google ads and rewrite forum posts that include words like potential, possibly, and may have. It seems to be quite catchy with the forthcoming automobiles for 2017 and 2018. Most of these sites offer -0- journalism.

That said, R&T has an article that makes me smile when thinking about a CVT-R. It mentions nothing of CivicX but ironically has been posted hours after CivicX posted their 'highlight'.
http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...sons-to-get-excited-about-a-civic-type-r-cvt/

Menissalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag

JYR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
8th gen Si
Country flag
Makes my point that much better.

I didn't click the link, obviously.

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Most of the industry, outside of Automotive News, is getting their info from sites like CivicX. Read the first sentence of the article Tim posted for proof of that. If you want to make a few bucks, start up a click bait website with a bunch of Google ads and rewrite forum posts that include words like potential, possibly, and may have. It seems to be quite catchy with the forthcoming automobiles for 2017 and 2018. Most of these sites offer -0- journalism.

That said, R&T has an article that makes me smile when thinking about a CVT-R. It mentions nothing of CivicX but ironically has been posted hours after CivicX posted their 'highlight'.
http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...sons-to-get-excited-about-a-civic-type-r-cvt/
YES!! @Browncoat3000 you are a hero! :bow: Look at what you have started! Nothing better than seeing a reputable magazine like R&T show all the doubters and haters how the CVT is superior. I love a 6 speed don't get me wrong. I will be buying a m/t myself, but this is the latest technology. It's always in the powerband. Sweet news.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
(emphasis mine)

This isn't about the CTR. Notice the word "announced". Honda have not announced a CVT for the CTR, but they have (and produced it) for other variants. Also, this isn't talking about low-speed acceleration; it's talking about how CVTs typically boost the RPMs ("rev-metal thrash") but they tried to mitigate that by making "engines tractable at low revs". None of this is news; they've been talking about the CVT tuning and low-end torque of the "VTEC Turbo" engines since the 10th gen Civic was announced. They're only covering it now for the UK because the Civic has not gone on sale in Europe yet.
@Administrator - Might impact your thread announcement on the main page.

Reactions: JYR
OP
OP
Browncoat3000

Browncoat3000

Red 5 standing by
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
YES!! @Browncoat3000 you are a hero! :bow: Look at what you have started! Nothing better than seeing a reputable magazine like R&T show all the doubters and haters how the CVT is superior. I love a 6 speed don't get me wrong. I will be buying a m/t myself, but this is the latest technology. It's always in the powerband. Sweet news.
Don't thank me, thank my wife who bought me the magazine and Phil McNamara who wrote the article about the "War Machine" as the Honda folks call it in the article.
Sponsored