Civic Type R Sway bars on regular Civic?

5inn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Type R
Country flag
The sway bar is just another tuning tool as regards understeer/oversteer, you can make the car loose with tire pressure and toe adjustments just as easily as you can with a swaybar. For autocross the main advantage of the swaybar is reducing body roll/helping to keep the inside front down to reduce wheelspin out of corners. The car is actually pretty neutral in stock form with the pins pulled for more camber and a little bit of front toe out and extra rear tire pressure. I found out in 5inn's car Sunday just how loose it can be if you hamfist a few offsets in a row ;).
Not going to mention who was driving except saying it wasn’t me :spaz:
Sponsored

jwbrockman

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatch Sport Manual, 2007 Honda S2000 (STR)
Country flag
Who? The car in the video is bone stock aside from a set of 17x8 wheels with 255/40-17 BFG Rival S 1.5, and the aforementioned highly precision paddock camber and toe adjustments.

jwbrockman

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
And of course traction control all the way off :)

dastanli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camry, Tacoma
Country flag
Who? The car in the video is bone stock aside from a set of 17x8 wheels with 255/40-17 BFG Rival S 1.5, and the aforementioned highly precision paddock camber and toe adjustments.
Yes and thank you lol. Wonder how it would have behaved with traction control on.

jwbrockman

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Haha, it would have gone brrrzrt and put on the brakes before I got it that sideways.

REDRAGN53

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No Civic now..
OEM CTR bar and brackets for sale in members classified. New and uninstalled for my cost plus shipping. Hopefully this will help out one person who cant get them due to backorder!

vonlaser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatch Sport 6MT
Country flag
Ordered mine from Bernardi on Oct 26 and received today Nov 7. Total was $100.58 for everything. Will take me longer to find time to install than it took to get here.

Mugenkb1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Acura RL, 16 Acura MDX, 17 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT
Country flag
I'm debating between the Type R and the Si bar. What made you guys go for the Type R bar, just because it's thicker? But to my knowledge the ratio of the front sway bar to the rear sway bar is important to the overall handling of the car.

zrwizard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport,2016 CRV SE, 2014 Mustang, 2011 Mustang, 2010 Civic LX-
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm debating between the Type R and the Si bar. What made you guys go for the Type R bar, just because it's thicker? But to my knowledge the ratio of the front sway bar to the rear sway bar is important to the overall handling of the car.
I’m waiting for feedback on the SI bar to make my decision

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I haven't installed it yet (recently had a back injury), but I bought the Si bar instead. It's only about 40% stiffer but for my driving style, I think that will be enough. My worry with the Type R bar is that it's probably 150% stiffer than the one in my car. It's designed for a car that has a completely different, much sportier setup. Suspension tuning is all about balance.

The other thing that people don't think about is how that big increase in stiffness can affect the car in an emergency, accident avoidance situation or driving at the limit. I'm used to front wheel drive cars that understeer. In that situation, you may find your tail end coming out and if you're not used to oversteer, that could be a problem, especially in the rain.

I'm not saying the Type R bar doesn't make a huge difference in turn in and body roll in normal driving on dry pavement. I know it does. I'm just going the more conservative route.

Last edited:

Mugenkb1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Acura RL, 16 Acura MDX, 17 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT
Country flag
I haven't installed it yet (recently had a back injury), but I bought the Si bar instead. It's only about 40% stiffer but for my driving style, I think that will be enough. My worry with the Type R bar is that it's probably 150% stiffer than the one in my car. It's designed for a car that has a completely different, much sportier setup. Suspension tuning is all about balance.

The other thing that people don't think about is how that big increase in stiffness can affect the car in an emergency, accident avoidance situation or driving at the limit. I'm used to front wheel drive cars that understeer. In that situation, you may find your tail end coming out and if you're not used to oversteer, that could be a problem, especially in the rain.

I'm not saying the Type R bar doesn't make a huge difference in turn in and body roll in normal driving on dry pavement. I know it does. I'm just going the more conservative route.
From my calculations, the Si bar is about 1.5x stiffer
and the type R is about a little over 2x stiffer than the stock hatchback bar. Not exactly sure how that translates into % wise, but yeah, that's my concern as well. Having a rear sway bar that's like essentially having two stock sway bars in the rear without changing the fronts, makes me question how those two will work together taking in consideration the other suspension components as well. I'm also wondering if because the Type R's rear sway bar is that much beefier that it needs different parts for the endlinks and screws. I won't be surprised if that's the case. What if changing to the type R RSB will end up causing the stock endlinks and screws to snap off during really spirited driving?

I wish there's like actual data, numbers and stuff.

moistener

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Got the CTR rear sway bar installed today on my Touring. Was told that stock brackets fit the rubber bushings just fine and there wasn't a need to purchase the CTR brackets. I confirmed this by putting the CTR brackets on the stock rear sway bar bushings and they fit perfectly.

I could be wrong but if anything it makes this swap even cheaper than any aftermarket offerings.

bembol

SHIFT_
First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 Sport Touring, 20 Audi Q3 Progressiv
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda actually didn't cancel my order when I ask for a refund a few weeks ago. It came in yesterday!!!

Too bad I'm working. It'll have to wait until Wednesday.