Civic Type R still faster than new BMW M2

C Note

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
--
BMW M2 was just announced and it's supposed to be BMW M's new hot coupe. It runs a really good 7:58 lap time on the Nurburgring, but the Type R's 7:50 time still beats it! 8 seconds is a lifetime at track speeds.
Sponsored

Kane76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 TL
BMW M2 was just announced and it's supposed to be BMW M's new hot coupe. It runs a really good 7:58 lap time on the Nurburgring, but the Type R's 7:50 time still beats it! 8 seconds is a lifetime at track speeds.
All with its wrong-wheel-drive too :D

BMW's are becoming overstyled. I always appreciated M cars in the past for being sorta buttoned up luxury sleeper monsters but they've thrown that out the window with the latest designs obviously. Pricing is supposed to start above $50k. It doesn't compete directly with the CTR but the CTR will be significantly cheaper, faster, extra doors, and more practical.

BigBang09

nsbryant09
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Former: 2004 Mustang V6, 2008 Civic LX)
This headline made my day! I don't remember the Type R's curb weight, but if it's roughly 3,000 lbs as I suspect, I'm sure that played a role in it being faster than the M2, which is roughly 3,450 lbs at best if I remember right.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
I think the CTR is really finely tuned to the Nurburgring numbers, and may be tough for any manufacturer to beat.
I also think the M2 is probably a better car on the whole, but obviously the CTR will be a better value, and better in SOME aspects.

Viva la vida

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T
I think the CTR is really finely tuned to the Nurburgring numbers, and may be tough for any manufacturer to beat.
I also think the M2 is probably a better car on the whole, but obviously the CTR will be a better value, and better in SOME aspects.
CTR is definitely finely tuned for the Nurburgring to put down the numbers it does. M2 and other German performance cars are also tuned to perform well there since they do most of their high performance tests on the Nurburgring. I can't remember the number of spy pics and videos I saw of the M2 there.. it was A LOT. M2's a nice car but it's no track car like the CTR is supposed to be. To get that in the BMW line up you've gotta go up to the upcoming M4 GTS which has a 7:28 lap time. But it's also gonna cost $140-$150k!

Kane76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 TL
This headline made my day! I don't remember the Type R's curb weight, but if it's roughly 3,000 lbs as I suspect, I'm sure that played a role in it being faster than the M2, which is roughly 3,450 lbs at best if I remember right.
2016 Type R is 3,047 lbs w/ 306 HP
2016 M2 is 3,505 lbs w/ 365 HP

Goes to show how much 500 pounds difference makes. Weight kills performance.
Sponsored