Civic Type R Questions Observations

Roig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Acura TL 3.2; 2016 HR-v; 2014 Acura MDX base; 2017 Subaru WRX
Hello,

I did not know where to post this. I could not find a posting already addressing my questions and observations.

1. Civic Type R's for sale in the used market.
I have noticed several CTR's in the used market with a few thousand miles on them above MSRP mostly.
Are these people selling tired of driving the car after 6 months or are there people trying to make a buck with the above MSRP selling price? I am very curious what you all think or know of this.
Check https://www.cargurus.com for example​
2. I have read many on-line reviews that are great and favoring the CTR on Car and Driver, Autoweek, etc. Then I go to the comments section of the article and I see many (majority) people just gripping and commenting on how ugly the car is and how much it looks like an Aztec and that FWD sucks, etc., etc. I feel a little upset about all this negativity about these comments every where by readers. I do not own a CTR yet, but I really want one. Maybe because I have been a Honda/Acura fan, since my 1989 Integra RS.

Thanks for listening.
Sponsored

Last edited:

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
Hello,

I did not know where to post this. I could not find a posting already addressing my questions and observations.

I have noticed several CTR's in the used market with a few thousand miles on them above MSRP mostly.
Are these people selling tired of driving the car after 6 months or are there people trying to make a buck with the above MSRP selling price? I am very curious what you all think or know of this.
2. I have read many on-line reviews that are great and favoring the CTR on Car and Driver, Autoweek, etc. Then I go to the comments section of the article and I see many (majority) people just gripping and commenting on how ugly the car is and how much it looks like an Aztec and that FWD sucks, etc, etc. I feel a little upset about all this negativity about this comments every where by readers. I do no own a CTR yet, but I really want one. Maybe because I have been a Honda/Acura fan, since my 1989 Integra RS.

Thanks for listening.
1. Flipping 'rare' cars is nothing new - the people selling for above MSRP likely paid over MSRP themselves, so it's somewhat justified, although annoying in that they bought the car purely to flip it for profit. Supply and demand I guess.

2. Forget what other people think. Looks are purely subjective, and a lot of the negative comments come from 14 year olds who have never driven the CTR. There's zero reason to be upset over what people think on the internet -- if you're upset by this then I envy you because you must not have a lot else to be upset about.

Wait until the hype dies down and you could probably get a decent used CTR, or a new one at a more reasonable price without ADMs.

CTRdreamer

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
Hello,

2. I have read many on-line reviews that are great and favoring the CTR on Car and Driver, Autoweek, etc. Then I go to the comments section of the article and I see many (majority) people just gripping and commenting on how ugly the car is and how much it looks like an Aztec and that FWD sucks, etc, etc. I feel a little upset about all this negativity about this comments every where by readers. I do no own a CTR yet, but I really want one. Maybe because I have been a Honda/Acura fan, since my 1989 Integra RS.

Thanks for listening.
Hey Roig,
I read all the negative comments about the CTR's looks for months also. Couldn't care less. A couple weeks ago I finally was able to get one at a good price, and it's just amazing. I bought it for ME (and any friends who want to play around); ignore the haters. Maybe the over-the-top styling is the only thing they can focus on, because they're envious of everything else.

OP
OP
Roig

Roig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey Roig,
I read all the negative comments about the CTR's looks for months also. Couldn't care less. A couple weeks ago I finally was able to get one at a good price, and it's just amazing. I bought it for ME (and any friends who want to play around); ignore the haters. Maybe the over-the-top styling is the only thing they can focus on, because they're envious of everything else.
I agree about the haters. Congratulations on your purchase. I envy you in a good way :thumbsup:. Enjoy, it seems that is a car to keep for life.

redwing497

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Honda S2000, 2019 CW CTR
Country flag
I unfortunately do not own one YET, but I've read a lot of people's experiences where, in the real world, people get excited when they see it on the street. Pictures, conversation, and just overall a ton of attention. Honda HAD to do something right for that kind of stuff to happen. People in comment sections feel the need to trash things behind the safety of the internet, probably to make them feel better about themselves.

rnh204

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR #8445 | 2010 Porsche 911 GT3RS (Track Car) | 2014 Infiniti QX80 (Family Tow Car) | 2013 Trailex CT-84180 (Trailer)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
1) Happens with any new car, there's a myriad of reasons why people sell early. Profit is one, and there are always people that have to have the latest and greatest. Could also be some people overbought vs. their income levels, etc etc.

2) Regarding the haters, the car's styling is polarizing. Like others said up above, if you like the styling who cares what others think. There's a reason that the consistency of the reviews the CTR has gotten is rarely negative beyond the exhaust and styling, because its a great car. While FWD has traditionally been a less rewarding driving experience compared to RWD, in this case its really not. The FWD platform allows the car to be lighter than its competition and most of the torque steer is eliminated. The lower weight = more feel and agility. Most people won't know that unless they actually drive the car, which lets be honest most people won't actually drive it and they'll have pre-conceived notions of FWD. I've given my keys to 3 of my friends drive my CTR, their fun cars are 991 gt3, 987 cayman, and M3. All came away impressed for what this car is and the price point it is at. It punches above its weight class.

OP
OP
Roig

Roig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1) Happens with any new car, there's a myriad of reasons why people sell early. Profit is one, and there are always people that have to have the latest and greatest. Could also be some people overbought vs. their income levels, etc etc.

2) Regarding the haters, the car's styling is polarizing. Like others said up above, if you like the styling who cares what others think. There's a reason that the consistency of the reviews the CTR has gotten is rarely negative beyond the exhaust and styling, because its a great car. While FWD has traditionally been a less rewarding driving experience compared to RWD, in this case its really not. The FWD platform allows the car to be lighter than its competition and most of the torque steer is eliminated. The lower weight = more feel and agility. Most people won't know that unless they actually drive the car, which lets be honest most people won't actually drive it and they'll have pre-conceived notions of FWD. I've given my keys to 3 of my friends drive my CTR, their fun cars are 991 gt3, 987 cayman, and M3. All came away impressed for what this car is and the price point it is at. It punches above its weight class.
Excellent feedback. I was just surprised to observe how many people were selling their CTR's already.

Your comment about you friends that drive the European makes is very interesting and useful for any discussion about the CTR. Seems like the CTR, dollar for dollar is one of the best values out there for a sporty car. And also throw in there the cost of maintenance (low compared to other makes) and high reliability. Thanks.

typersweden

First Name
Duncan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R GT / FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Hello,

2. I have read many on-line reviews that are great and favoring the CTR on Car and Driver, Autoweek, etc. Then I go to the comments section of the article and I see many (majority) people just gripping and commenting on how ugly the car is and how much it looks like an Aztec and that FWD sucks, etc., etc. I feel a little upset about all this negativity about these comments every where by readers. I do not own a CTR yet, but I really want one. Maybe because I have been a Honda/Acura fan, since my 1989 Integra RS.

Thanks for listening.

Let me make this simple for you.

I saw the FK8 at the Geneva motor show.

I fell in love

I waited 10 months

it was released

I went to the showroom

Sat in it

Bought it

I bought my FK8 without turning on the engine.

It was delivered 2 months later, the first time I drove it was when I picked it up.

I still am madly in love

Ignore the haters, this car is an award winner for a reason.

The ones that slate it are jealous of their long lost youth or it’s simply just not the car for them.

You want one, get one.

You will NOT be disappointed

Mick the Quick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Civic Type R (R-08508)
Country flag
Hello,

Thanks for listening.
There were some serious flipping going on in 2017 . . . . and it's institutionalized in large respects, based on the same old "this used 2017 CTR with 200 miles was bought by the dealership's owner's son, and he flaked out and wants to sell it for $4K above the MSRP" I heard over and over in my odyssey to buy a CTR. The stealers all seem to have cockamamie stories, often involving angry pregnant wives forcing a trade-in. lol

Clearly, some sellers legitimately felt that CTR was not the best fit for them. I do wonder how much they got from the dealer when they traded in the vehicle . . . . . did they negotiate the trade-in price to something north of the MSRP, knowing that the stealers are going to try to rip off customers by charging $5k ADM + new MSRP.

All the comments are from people who have neither driven nor even seen the car in person. Note that just about every single review is the same: an incredible car, loved it, but the looks can prove controversial. You rarely see such a uniform excited reactions from car reviewers, especially in the sub-$50K class. CTR's a high performance vehicle - the worst thing they can say is about the looks? That's fine by me. To me, it looks and feels like a "special" car when you see it for the first time in person. In fact, every now and then, you meet people who absolutely lose their mind and ask me what kind of car it is. Probably not very knowledgeable about cars at all, but these regular folks seem to get awfully excited when they see the car.

Having owned a CTR for 6 weeks now, I can tell you that most people don't even bat an eye (either way) when they see a CTR in an middle class, rural or affluent neighborhood.

I love these folks that comment on CTR's looks on the web -- judging from their significant other's photos in their avatars, profile, etc., it is clear that they realize that beauty is more than just skin deep (how's that for a subtle take down), so their comments are rather ironic. :p

shihabp79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R #2740
Country flag
People online talk shit because of anonymity and human beings' natural propensity to be negative and critical rather than positive. I've yet to hear a single person say anything negative about my car to my face even if it was a simple "I'm not a fan of the styling" or "It doesn't suit my taste." Well, other than a few my friends that automatically hate on front-wheel drive performance cars. The ones that drove my car have all changed their minds because how could you not? It's just that good.
Sponsored