Civic Type R prototype spotted in Europe

JYR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
8th gen Si
Country flag
Many people forget that Honda has dubbed the caR "race car for the road" and there should be some respect for that. This isn't your grandma's grocery getter. (Though there are some significant aero enhancements on granny's car as well). The car is almost pure function and the aero plays a significant roll when considering the capabilities of the R.

Here are a few articles about the aerodynamics on the current production model R. The next gen R will most likely build on this a bit.

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/6-fascinating-technical-facts-about-the-new-honda-civic-type-r/

https://drivetribe.com/p/ZEmFReoISuu-UpRiwGcRdw/UruwMB-pSgKulaR1wzI9Dg

http://world.honda.com/worldnews/2015/4150211All-New-Civic-Type-R.html

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
Reactions: JYR

partialprint

First Name
Partial
Threads
Reaction score
Website
music.apple.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
looks very similar to sport, except spoiler wheels and exhaust

DavidJBrooks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Honda Accord Sedan 6-6, 2008 Honda Pilot
Country flag
Cross winds on the highway are indeed something I did not take into account. Good call. Last car I had with a spoiler that tall was an ITR and I owned a GSR both prior to and after that car and personally did not feel any variance in handling between the 3, however none of the 3 cars were stock, so it's kinda hard to judge I guess.

My information on rear spoilers on FWD cars was entirely from what I have been taught since I was a child by many sources for example:
"It all comes down to the fact that a spoiler or rear wing can create downforce. The issue lies with the fact that the vehicle wearing said spoiler or wing needs to be going fast enough for it to do this. Your average street car gets no benefit, other than a styling upgrade, with respect to its rear fiberglass jewelry.

A race car, on the other hand, needs that extra bit of physics happening over the rear tires.

A rear spoiler on a front-driver race car will help with braking, cornering, and the reduction of lift. Under heavy braking, the rear of the car might want to come around, as the load forces are transitioned heavily to the nose. A rear spoiler can help mitigate some of that and keep the rear contact patches more firmly planted."

HOWEVER, times change, technology changes, tests change, and apparently we've come to learn (me later than the rest apparently) that there can be a feasible benefit.
If I opt for a CTR, which I very well might, it will be my DD. I would also be yanking the spoiler, cutting a hole on the roof, debadging it and never, ever taking it to the track.

The CTR, like the ITR before it, is not a race car. If it were, it wouldn't be street legal.

A2typeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si sedan (TSP stage 1) 2016 Mazda Miata Club (Brembo BBS pack)
Country flag
If I opt for a CTR, which I very well might, it will be my DD. I would also be yanking the spoiler, cutting a hole on the roof, debadging it and never, ever taking it to the track.

The CTR, like the ITR before it, is not a race car. If it were, it wouldn't be street legal.
Your wrong, it is a Race car for the Road as per Honda.

Unless you are part of the engineering or development team then I will believe you.

Also why buy the car if your going to destroy it. Just buy an Si and save a grip load of money.

Food for thought.

STiTCH87

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan, 2006 Scion TC

Unless you are part of the engineering or development team then I will believe you.

Also why buy the car if your going to destroy it. Just buy an Si and save a grip load of money.

Food for thought.
If the last Civic Type R (2015) beat the nurburgring record stock, then I agree, this is a race car and i'd imagine might be even faster.

At least I think it was stock, right?

Evo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lancer Evolution
Country flag
If the last Civic Type R (2015) beat the nurburgring record stock, then I agree, this is a race car and i'd imagine might be even faster.

Most would expect the latest fwd sports car to beat the old record. "These are the best iPhones we have ever made" Tim Cook will say this September. People will eat it right up

dawsonj87

First Name
Dawson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Civic EX Coupe, 2001 Honda CB250
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

To be fair, it beat the Nurburgring record for a stock FWD car as a stock FWD car.

DavidJBrooks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Honda Accord Sedan 6-6, 2008 Honda Pilot
Country flag

Food for thought.
The Si doesn't come as a hatch, and the CTR will be faster and handle better. I wouldn't do anything that would have noticable effect on the street, and I couldn't care less if the resale is shot.

If I buy a CTR, it will be to drive it until it falls apart, which - for Hondas - is usually in the 300k/20 year range, if well maintained.

And, no, the CTR - like the BMW M3 and Porsche 911 and the ITR and any other street-legal car - is not a race car. It is an exceptionally-capable road car, which happens to be based on an economy car.
Sponsored