flipwils11

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Hi, new forum member with a 2021 Type R. The car has 3300 miles, zero mods, and developed a misfire a few weeks ago. Had it flatbedded to the dealer and they couldn't produce the problem. Then a few days later it happened again and I made the bold choice to limp it to the dealer about 3 miles away. Not fun in a car that would bare go 30mph. At least the problem was reproduced for the service dept to see.

Initial diagnosis was a bad waste gate which required replacing with a new turbo. That took 2 weeks to get and it didn't fix the issue. They were working with Honda NA for tech support. The next thing to try was a new computer and Honda sent them a new used one to try. That didn't fix it. Now waiting for them to locate a new throttle body to try and there are no parts available.

I am very frustrated that this is taking so many weeks, it is a brand new car, and they are just throwing parts at it. They said there are no misfire codes in the computer either to troubleshoot. How can that be possible?

I am stuck with them because it is under warranty and it is the dealer I bought it from but somehow I don't think they have their thinking caps on to do real problem solving troubleshooting on my car.

Any input is appreciated. I am in St Paul, MN.
Sponsored

Quip

First Name
Paper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rallye Red
Country flag
I didn’t think a misfire would throw the car in limp mode.

sucks that a brand new car would have this issue.

OP
OP

flipwils11

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Yeah, and on a brand new Honda. Can't believe it

slow_delsol

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Check the coil packs on the spark plugs? They are known for collecting water through the hood scoop. Doesn’t take long for rust to form and cause spark problems.
Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R misfire at dealer 5645A503-E590-4E45-AB89-5C62438EE1A0

OP
OP

flipwils11

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Got the car back. 30 days and lots of parts swapping, the throttle body fixed it. Or at least it seems fixed so far....