Civic Type R in Japan

dan_in_japan

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.dbblsound.com
Vehicle(s)
Currently GK5 Fit RS - Past, 98 ITR, 99 SiR Accord, 85 Civic, 79 Civic, 84 Mirage, 62 Fairlane. 80 Laser
Country flag
Hi,

Massive Honda fan living in Japan, had mostly all Honda's throughout my car history including my beloved 98Spec ITR when I was living in NZ.

There was a limited release of the FK2 here in Japan but I wasn't selected for the countrywide 750 units.

Now with the upcoming FK8 being apparently a standard order model my excitement has been increasing but equally my annoyance at Honda Japan, the parent company after all, for having such a small amount of information about the upcoming release of the Civic Series including the Type R.

I mailed Honda directly, to which they replied with the same small amount of information I already know, later this year, will be a standard catalog model, please wait for more information. However they did say if you are very interested go and talk to a Honda store near you, they may be able to give you a little more information. I pointed out that even Honda Australia and NZ have pages and pricing and its a little poor that Honda Japan itself is so slow in releasing anything. However having been in Japan nearly a decade now, the positive side of this will be that once it happens it should be fairly organized, and ADMs and not being able to pick color and so on is extremely unlikely.

So noticing a Honda store near where I was having a meeting yesterday I decided to go and see what I could find out.

Sales guy was a nice younger chap and after being a little hesitant after realizing he might get a sale of the second most expensive to the NSX sale started opening up a little.

The pricing and configuration will be announced publicly the end of this month, at which time they will take orders with estimated delivery time of September. This is more or less in line with what I expected, however, unfortunately Honda Japan will only carry White, Black, Red, and Blue when I was very much set on the PMM.. So that leaves a very hard decision and a slightly unhappy wife.

Thats pretty much the news here in Japan, I'll update as it progresses.

Ah the good old days...

Oh... I have never understood this model year thing in the states.. surely if you buy and receive a car in 2017.. it is 2017... right?
Sponsored

Night Fury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Type R
Country flag
Hi,

Massive Honda fan living in Japan, had mostly all Honda's throughout my car history including my beloved 98Spec ITR when I was living in NZ.

Oh... I have never understood this model year thing in the states.. surely if you buy and receive a car in 2017.. it is 2017... right?
Thanks for the update, as far as we know, the car will be this year a 2017 model, at dealers hopefully not later than the end of this month, next year by the end of spring will be a 2018 model - however there is not official info. of this just dealer personnel talks.

take a look of this too.
http://www.civicx.com/threads/honda-responds-to-civic-type-r-launch-to-dealers.12315/

OP
OP
dan_in_japan

dan_in_japan

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.dbblsound.com
Vehicle(s)
Currently GK5 Fit RS - Past, 98 ITR, 99 SiR Accord, 85 Civic, 79 Civic, 84 Mirage, 62 Fairlane. 80 Laser
Country flag
Update, last night I got a home visit from the Honda dealer that I visited.

I was quite surprised but basically the sales guy was letting me know he could put together an order for me to put in on Monday morning when the Type R orders open, for likely delivery in September.

He brought me the new information, which is still limited, as previously mentioned Japan will only get White, Black, Red and Blue. The Japan model you basically have to choose your options, no Honda sensing but can choose Navigation or not, Sound System or not, and a range of trim accessories.

The cost here due to the current exchange rate would be about 47k total said and done, with Navigation, so you guys haven't got it so bad after all.
(Cars are so cheap in the US, but maybe not after ADM in this case)

I feel a little bad as I had to tell the nice young and enthusiastic chap that I won't be able to place that order Monday as I need to clarify some finances first having recently bought an apartment in Japan and trying to get some kids happening.

Very happy they went out of their way to give me a chance to get in early though.

This means for me, I know, possibly a long wait, or possibly not being able to get one at all.. but no point putting things at risk.

So looking forward to some touge and wangan Type R times.

http://www.honda.co.jp/CIVIC/new/TYPE-R/

Last edited:
OP
OP
dan_in_japan

dan_in_japan

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.dbblsound.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Call yesterday from Dealer, he has been told Japan is only getting 1400 in this year.. given the limited 750 of FK2 had over 10,000 "lottery entries to buy" before it went sale its not looking so good for me for this year. Oh well gives me time to keep on saving.

CTR1633FK2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R Fk2 + Civic Type R Fk8
Country flag
No GT or Touring model? Just 1 "base" model like the JDM FK2? The infotainment unit is different again. Is it Gathers?

OP
OP
dan_in_japan

dan_in_japan

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.dbblsound.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
No GT or Touring model? Just 1 "base" model like the JDM FK2? The infotainment unit is different again. Is it Gathers?
Yes that seems to be the case, the dealer didn't have all the information yet but appear similar to the FK2. The Japanese catalog shows a Gathers Unit yes.

OP
OP
dan_in_japan

dan_in_japan

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.dbblsound.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Latest update, Todays mail is, yesterdays orders will most likely be delivered December.

Looks like next year for me, hope they continue the model in more numbers next year.

SaiHayashi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FN2R NHB 2008; NA8 MX-5 turbo 2013; LandRover Discovery 2016; FK8R CW 2017
Country flag
UPDATED.
My bad, its out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dan_in_japan

dan_in_japan

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.dbblsound.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Sorry I don't follow.

OP
OP
dan_in_japan

dan_in_japan

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.dbblsound.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

GSquared

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R (SGP), 2017 Civic Type-R (PMM - SOLD), 2015 Civic Si (Sold), 2013 Si Turbo (Sold)
Country flag
The carbon wing in the accessories is about 1555 USD, probably right around the price it should be here.

Interior carbon parts are about 430(dash trim)+250(by shifter)+420(door trim)

M1K3_V

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civicc Si; 2016 Harley Davidson 48
Country flag
Where can I find the interior carbon trim pieces here in the States. I saw it on a Type R here in Miami Fl, and wanted it for my Si.