Type 90

First Name
Tuan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Coupe Touring
Country flag
I wondered how hard is it for a professional thief to steal a 10th gen Honda Civic like the Civic Type R. Considering newer lines of Civics security and hardware has been vastly improved compared to the previous gens of Civics like the 5th and 6th models, which are some of the most sough after models of vehicle for thief to steal from. Any CTR owners had experienced such incidents or anything similar to it, yet? If so, what are some of the countermeasure had you done so far to prevent such thing from happening?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Wabby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Cr-z
Country flag
Think they still can replicate the signal from the key as other cars.
Having that said, Honda failed the last Security test since they didn't want to attend. That was a report I was reading 2 months ago.

Driveitlikeuboughtit

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR
Country flag
I use The Club. Bonus, it matches my red interior accents!

5th and 6th gen Civics are popular to steal because they're easy to steal and chop. Engine Immobilizer does a ton to stop those types of thieves. Otherwise, you can stick our car on a flatbed and steal it that way.

If someone clones your key signal, nothing you can do about it. I'm insured, Honda can worry about it.

iLovePho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CW CTR #2060
Country flag
I'm more concerned with my wheels being stolen than my car being stolen; my Volks aren't insured. If they were to flat bed my car, I hope I never see it again since they would probably strip it to the point of no return.

That being said, I'm running a Compustar alarm with remote start.

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
My friend and his friend had their B8 S4 and BMW stolen from the same apartment garage. IMO in that case it I think it was highly likely they had a dealer-only tool to gain access and reprogram the car.

basically if you've got crooks at the dealers, you cant help it.

But i dont think the average thief has the necessary equipment to replicate a keyfob.

Will Solo

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR Type R #1124
Country flag
I'm more concerned with my wheels being stolen than my car being stolen; my Volks aren't insured. If they were to flat bed my car, I hope I never see it again since they would probably strip it to the point of no return.

That being said, I'm running a Compustar alarm with remote start.

What system are you using? I looked on their site and they have a ton of different systems.

iLovePho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CW CTR #2060
Country flag
What system are you using? I looked on their site and they have a ton of different systems.
This is what I'm running, but my dealer/installer used a different harness. Just make sure you goto an authorized Compustar dealer/installer and they should know which to use.

Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R (FK8) Security System upload_2018-8-31_13-18-40

keiothic

Banned
Banned
First Name
YoK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 FK8 CW #22485
Country flag
golly, could've made it more looking like a key fob sleeve instead of a small pocket patch

MrPink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
my R was stolen 3 weeks ago from a busy parking lot... most probable theory is they copied my key signal, cause after recovery 4 days later, i had a new generic honda key that worked with my car... my OEM keys did not work anymore.

it took them 20mins...

I am looking into IGLA which is a high tech kill switch... u have to use whatever sequence of buttons u want before u start your car..

i'm looking to the OG DIY kill switch, but cant seem to find any posts with where the fuel pump wires are..

SilentMonkCTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type-R
Country flag
I wondered how hard is it for a professional thief to steal a 10th gen Honda Civic like the Civic Type R. Considering newer lines of Civics security and hardware has been vastly improved compared to the previous gens of Civics like the 5th and 6th models, which are some of the most sough after models of vehicle for thief to steal from. Any CTR owners had experienced such incidents or anything similar to it, yet? If so, what are some of the countermeasure had you done so far to prevent such thing from happening?
They have a dealer issued* programmer they use to basically rekey the vehicle immobilizer. Put in a hidden power cut to the ecu and start button. That's your best best.

*Just meaning they are using the factory tooling.

Last edited:

WindJunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE USA-367, 2011 Civic Si (FA5)
Country flag
my R was stolen 3 weeks ago from a busy parking lot... most probable theory is they copied my key signal, cause after recovery 4 days later, i had a new generic honda key that worked with my car... my OEM keys did not work anymore.

it took them 20mins...

I am looking into IGLA which is a high tech kill switch... u have to use whatever sequence of buttons u want before u start your car..

i'm looking to the OG DIY kill switch, but cant seem to find any posts with where the fuel pump wires are..
That sucks, did police catch the thieves? Was your car damaged at all?
Sponsored