tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I read somewhere the other night when I was installing the KTuner software on my PC to never use Anti-Lag. I have no idea what it is and what it does. Just saw a bunch of comments about it when I was searching for knock count threads, lol.

To the OP, I've been that guy in my 20s and I can 100% promise you that even if you manage to get away with "playing dumb and pretending it was stock," karma WILL come back on you two fold at some point when you least expect it and REALLY don't have the money for it.

As for INJEN, it's a bit disappointing to see them fall so low in quality over the years. I remember when I got my first Si (EP3 hatch), INJEN was *the* brand to get.
Antilag basically keeps the throttle open between gear shifts and sometimes during idle to keep the turbo spooled so you feel no lag. It will definitely do a number on your motor. If done incorrectly you'll end up with OP's results. Even if done correctly it will most likely lower the longevity of your motor and trans.
Sponsored

Oddwayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19’ Si coupe & 99 ej6
Country flag
There's a few reasons why ktuner doesn't include it yet. It's dangerous. The Bosch ecu on the r is a reactive ecu. Hondatas antilag runs in open loop. It doesn't target the correct afr.

So to answer the other question... Either don't use antilag, switch to ktuner, or buy a motec.

Regardless... Hondata targets 13afr at wot anyway so good luck with the basemaps
You can do closed loop tuning on k tuner? Cause I’ve yet to find a tuner who will tune closed loop. Genuinely interested if you know a turner willing to do closed loop

Braiton

First Name
SI_GFX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic SI 19'
Country flag
OP - sorry for this huge mishap and good luck.

also, I just went through 3 pages of this thread and I didn’t see one blown motor image. :((((

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ridgeline RTL-E (Thanks to the CTR markups)
Country flag
Sorry to hear you blew your motor on your FK8. I guess it’s the price you pay when modding a car. Things like this are expected to happen sometimes sooner than later. The car performs well and is reliable straight out of the box.

Wish you all the best on the rebuild.
Correction: Is the price of not knowing how to mod a car.

Being modding my own cars since 1999. I drove cars with nitrous, n/a or turbocharged. All of them were modded with at least 50hp more than the factory rating. Never blew a motor. I'm aware that sh*t happen but also 100% stock cars can blew their engines. In this particular case is user error.

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
I wouldn't be the first in line to defend Honda, the same people that have no issues selling you a product with ADM knowing its not ethical. The same people who have a service department that thrives on Fucking the customer. I know it doesn't apply to all Honda shops/services but I wouldn't blame the OP if he did try to make a warranty claim on it. It's not the right thing to do, but who are we to judge..Im sure most of you have done shady stuff to people in the past and hope to repent for it.

To the OP- use your own judgement and always remember God is watching thats all....

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
Antilag basically keeps the throttle open between gear shifts and sometimes during idle to keep the turbo spooled so you feel no lag. It will definitely do a number on your motor. If done incorrectly you'll end up with OP's results. Even if done correctly it will most likely lower the longevity of your motor and trans.
I think this might be a little bit of an oversimplification, since a stock tune WOT shift is not the same thing as antilag.

Antilag at least in this implementation appears to retard ignition so much that ignition is timed much closer to the exhaust stroke (typically along with more fuel), increasing heat and pressure in the exhaust manifold. It is how you get flames out of the exhaust and pops and bangs.

FifStreet

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 PMM Civic Type R '07 MR Fit Sport (RIP)
Country flag
I wouldn't be the first in line to defend Honda, the same people that have no issues selling you a product with ADM knowing its not ethical. The same people who have a service department that thrives on Fucking the customer. I know it doesn't apply to all Honda shops/services but I wouldn't blame the OP if he did try to make a warranty claim on it. It's not the right thing to do, but who are we to judge..Im sure most of you have done shady stuff to people in the past and hope to repent for it.

To the OP- use your own judgement and always remember God is watching thats all....
2 wrongs make a right?

LSUFANDAN

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sonic Grey Civic Type R
Country flag
Google search shows honda sells a civic type r crate motor for $6500 but you have to put it in a licenced race car. Wonder how much dealership charges for motor plus replacement cost?

Groundcontrol

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM CTR
Country flag
I would think the vast majority of the techs at the Honda dealership will look at the ECU first to see what was going on when this happened. I don't know if they see your ECU is jailbroken would be reason enough for them to deny your claim.

Salespunk

First Name
MO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R, Ram 2500, 328 Wagon
Country flag
I would think the vast majority of the techs at the Honda dealership will look at the ECU first to see what was going on when this happened. I don't know if they see your ECU is jailbroken would be reason enough for them to deny your claim.
They can see the counter of how many times the ECU has been updated and know exactly how many times they have done it in service. No way this is getting warrantied and it is highly likely you end up looking like an idiot for even trying.

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
It may not be optional to look at ECU info. Honda may require the tech to pull ECU data before covering the warranty request. This is coming out of Honda's wallet.

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
I feel like we're still missing some information before we can determine who is to blame (user or Honda). Not like we'll ever be able to determine who's at fault. Good luck to the OP.

This can't be emphasized enough. Don't just slap on aftermarket components without knowing exactly what it does. This is especially true for aftermarket intakes on turbo cars. This is a relatively common "problem" in the Subaru community with the WRX and STI platforms since they have factory turbos going back to the mid 2000s. Too many owners that slap on an aftermarket intake without monitoring/adjusting the tune and the engine runs lean, causing catastrophic failure to the engine. Ironic thing is that intakes are essentially noise makers and don't really add performance, but can cause major headaches if not properly installed. OEMs spend way more R&D money into engineering the factory intake than any aftermarket intake for what it's worth.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag

Honda's not selling at ADM, the dealerships* are. Honda isn't fucking the customer in service departments, the dealerships* are. Separate the dealership from the manufacturer because they are just that, two separate entities. Honda foots the bill when it comes to the warranty claim, the dealership simply does the work. In reality, the dealership might make money off of the claim since they're being paid the labor (though it might not be as lucrative as other repairs). If you want to get back at the dealerships, don't shop at the bad dealerships.

Honestly, if the OP wants to try to go for a warranty claim, he can go for it. Honda is smarter than that though and will have the ECU and any relevant logs pulled. This would most likely come out as a declined claim.

*dealerships here refer to bad dealerships who do this type of stuff. Not all dealerships are like this, though they can be quite rare and difficult to find.

zcEF

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
We do though, it was anti-lag. We need to stop the spread of misinformation that these motors are weak and making it look like Hondas fault. How many motors have we seen blown because of anti-lag? Every one who uses it ignores people saying not to use it on stock motors, they do, blow their motor up, and claim motor fault. Look at the groups, always post about a blown motor, claim it's a crappy motor, then down the comments its discovered that anti-lag was used.

Whenever I get into friendly banter about cars, it's always brought up "Too bad Honda put such a weak motor in the Type R." I've been running full bolt on, custom tune from DRob on Ktuner forever, and track my car. No issues blowing up motors.

Stop using anti-lag. This is always what happens. But someone will read this, think ah yeah but cool pops and bangs, blow their motor up, and repeat the cycle.

Anyways hope everyone is staying healthy.

I feel like we're still missing some information before we can determine who is to blame (user or Honda). Not like we'll ever be able to determine who's at fault. Good luck to the OP.

This can't be emphasized enough. Don't just slap on aftermarket components without knowing exactly what it does. This is especially true for aftermarket intakes on turbo cars. This is a relatively common "problem" in the Subaru community with the WRX and STI platforms since they have factory turbos going back to the mid 2000s. Too many owners that slap on an aftermarket intake without monitoring/adjusting the tune and the engine runs lean, causing catastrophic failure to the engine. Ironic thing is that intakes are essentially noise makers and don't really add performance, but can cause major headaches if not properly installed. OEMs spend way more R&D money into engineering the factory intake than any aftermarket intake for what it's worth.

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ridgeline RTL-E (Thanks to the CTR markups)
Country flag

MAF Scaling is an issue on many cars out there. My current car that comes with a 4B11T like the EVO has the same issue. Civic SI and the Type R aren't the exception either. Intakes need a tune to ensure the MAF is reading properly or else get ready to pay $$$$.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.