Civic Type R at the track, goods and bads! Let's share our experience.

LoooseR

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Integra Type-R
Country flag
This is really interesting read. I’m coming from a DC2R that I tracked frequently, but haven’t been on track for a few years due to divorce/life.

Well I am picking up my 2019 FK8 in VA beginning of next month and driving it back home. I plan to track it, and cooling will most certainly be an issue as I live in the hottest state in the country...Arizona.

That being said I am a very competent driver having run time trials and even did Honda Challenge for a minute. I am not the fastest and take care of equipment and know how to manage wear. I plan to hopefully run in the spring or next fall but even during those times, ambient temps will get as high as the 80’s even 90’a even in March/April and October/November. So while I’m still searching, has any company come out with a IC sprayer like the EVOs came with? “Misters” are a common thing seen out here and it drastically can lower ambient temps even in the eat of summer out here, so I’m curious has anyone used one and what were the results? I would love to partner with a company to find a solution to the overheating problem that won’t break the bank and I believe it’s possible, and I live in the best place to figure it out, if a solution is found that will keep these cars cool out here, it will work anywhere.
Sponsored

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
This is really interesting read. I’m coming from a DC2R that I tracked frequently, but haven’t been on track for a few years due to divorce/life.

Well I am picking up my 2019 FK8 in VA beginning of next month and driving it back home. I plan to track it, and cooling will most certainly be an issue as I live in the hottest state in the country...Arizona.

That being said I am a very competent driver having run time trials and even did Honda Challenge for a minute. I am not the fastest and take care of equipment and know how to manage wear. I plan to hopefully run in the spring or next fall but even during those times, ambient temps will get as high as the 80’s even 90’a even in March/April and October/November. So while I’m still searching, has any company come out with a IC sprayer like the EVOs came with? “Misters” are a common thing seen out here and it drastically can lower ambient temps even in the eat of summer out here, so I’m curious has anyone used one and what were the results? I would love to partner with a company to find a solution to the overheating problem that won’t break the bank and I believe it’s possible, and I live in the best place to figure it out, if a solution is found that will keep these cars cool out here, it will work anywhere.
Cooling the charge air with a sprayer will not help with overheating

circuit.heart

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Sport (Si converted), '94 525i x2
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Cooling the intake mixture isn't going to solve the K20C's heat issues. The two main failures of the CTR are having terrible flow out of the radiator and having a lot of heat collected in the head and coolant passages nearby.

Moving the radiator forward will do a lot. Venting the hood will help further. Ethanol fuel will help a lot. Where the "enough" point lies after that depends on your climate, tires and driving.

dsm_mikey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 CTR, 23 ZL1 1LE, 07 S2000, 05 350Z, 86 190e 16V
Country flag
Just adding to this for experience. Drove/instructed Road America this past weekend in full stock form. Brakes, pads, and tires were all stock.

Ambient temps for 65 on Saturday with rain for most of the day, and 70 Sunday sunny for most of the day. No overheating either days. Full 20 minute sessions 4 mile track, very high speeds. Car is super capable in stock form as I expected. Just didn't expect it to be this fun. As expected brakes were not a strong enough compound for late braking and a bit squishy half way through my session. Tires are capable for those starting out, but I will definitely be upgrading as expected. Overall good weekend, minor tweaks to the car. I don't see myself needing to change the suspension as the stock felt very compliant in full stock form.
WHAT lap times were you running at Road America?

Thanks!

roflitzjinno

First Name
Jinno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda S2000
Country flag
WHAT lap times were you running at Road America?

Thanks!
Insanely slow times IMO. Best I did with traffic was 2:57.03. I was braking way before each of the markers just to make sure the brakes would slow down in time. Brakes got bad after roughly the third lap and times fell off after that. Still worth the experience and seat time to practice line though.

Better tire compound, brakes, and some camber and I'd say times would drop significantly. Reference Civic Type R TCR time is 2:29 from what I last saw on YouTube.

LURK-R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatch
Country flag
Insanely slow times IMO. Best I did with traffic was 2:57.03. I was braking way before each of the markers just to make sure the brakes would slow down in time. Brakes got bad after roughly the third lap and times fell off after that. Still worth the experience and seat time to practice line though.

Better tire compound, brakes, and some camber and I'd say times would drop significantly. Reference Civic Type R TCR time is 2:29 from what I last saw on YouTube.
How have you found the Civic compared to your S2000? IMO the Civic is way more forgiving and much easier to drive.

roflitzjinno

First Name
Jinno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda S2000
Country flag
How have you found the Civic compared to your S2000? IMO the Civic is way more forgiving and much easier to drive.
I'd say FWD is much easier to drive than RWD IMO. With FWD I've learned that you can mostly just whip the car into doing what you want it to do. With the amount of the power the car makes, it's easy to just pull through after doing some lift steering. With the S2000, I feel it's a fine line you're crossing when it comes to the limit. Last drove an AP1 back in July, and it's truly hard to make a comparison. It's really apples to oranges. Every car I've driven just doesn't feel like a S2000 and I don't think anything will come close to how that car feels without going into a different price class of cars. But the Civic comes very close. At least for me it does. IDK if it's just me, but the Civic feels like a cheater car. It's hard and takes a lot of skill to drive a S2000 fast, and it doesn't feel that way for the Civic.

I want to stress too that I am by no means a professional on the track. These are just all based off my experiences and my personal driving habits. Take anything I say with a grain of salt. Opinions will vary from person to person.

LURK-R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatch
Country flag
I'd say FWD is much easier to drive than RWD IMO. With FWD I've learned that you can mostly just whip the car into doing what you want it to do. With the amount of the power the car makes, it's easy to just pull through after doing some lift steering. With the S2000, I feel it's a fine line you're crossing when it comes to the limit. Last drove an AP1 back in July, and it's truly hard to make a comparison. It's really apples to oranges. Every car I've driven just doesn't feel like a S2000 and I don't think anything will come close to how that car feels without going into a different price class of cars. But the Civic comes very close. At least for me it does. IDK if it's just me, but the Civic feels like a cheater car. It's hard and takes a lot of skill to drive a S2000 fast, and it doesn't feel that way for the Civic.

I want to stress too that I am by no means a professional on the track. These are just all based off my experiences and my personal driving habits. Take anything I say with a grain of salt. Opinions will vary from person to person.
The FWD aspect is significant, especially since the CTR has so much grip and ability to manage it (much more on lower treadwear tires). The only thing I've tracked that was similar to an S2000 was an 86/FRS/BRZ and even that felt like a much more tame AP2. Even when you jump into a higher price point, said car will have its own unique characteristics making it special.

TL;DR Nothing compares to an S2K. haha

CTRismybeater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 E90 M3 & 2019 FK8 CTR
Country flag
S2000s are pretty forgiving as well. Hence why you so so many in autox and at track days and in poor condition. Honda just got a lot right with the CTR FK8. Most FWD take a lot more skill with the exception or stepping off track where it’s best to just keep the pedal mashed.

ca86108

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A whole bunch
Country flag
Hello,

I am planning on going the track soon. I have some pretty new Michelin Pilot Sport 4s's on the car in 245/30/20. Will these last a few track days if I am an intermediate driver? I am planning on dropping some serious cash on Volks and an 18" 265/35 setup in the future, but just don't want to spend the money right now. I was thinking I can do two track days on this set of tires before I have to take the plunge.

roflitzjinno

First Name
Jinno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda S2000
Country flag
I am planning on going the track soon. I have some pretty new Michelin Pilot Sport 4s's on the car in 245/30/20. Will these last a few track days if I am an intermediate driver? I am planning on dropping some serious cash on Volks and an 18" 265/35 setup in the future, but just don't want to spend the money right now. I was thinking I can do two track days on this set of tires before I have to take the plunge.
You'll be fine. I've driven plenty of events on bad tires and or tires that are heat cycled. You'll be fine as an intermediate driver. Just monitor to pressures and any excessive wear.

ca86108

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A whole bunch
Country flag
My question is that will these tires rollover and shred to pieces like the contis after one track day? I want to still be able to drive home, etc.

LURK-R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatch
Country flag
My question is that will these tires rollover and shred to pieces like the contis after one track day? I want to still be able to drive home, etc.
You'll probably make it home day one, can't promise you day 2. ?

roflitzjinno

First Name
Jinno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda S2000
Country flag
I will tell you that my OEM Conti's did not "rollover" or shred after driving two days at Road America. Car had 2600 miles OTW home from the track.

Even my 500TW tires that came on my OEM S2000 wheels did not "rollover" or shred after one track day at Streets of Willow, after how however many miles were already on them.

LURK-R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatch
Country flag
I will tell you that my OEM Conti's did not "rollover" or shred after driving two days at Road America. Car had 2600 miles OTW home from the track.

Even my 500TW tires that came on my OEM S2000 wheels did not "rollover" or shred after one track day at Streets of Willow, after how however many miles were already on them.
I killed my stock FR-S tires at SOW with definite "rollover" on stock suspension and alignment. But I'm also slow at the time 1:33.1X CW.
Sponsored