Civic Type R at the track, goods and bads! Let's share our experience.

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
Has anyone tried running Michelin Pilot Sport 4s on the track? I just got my car and it came with a brand new set of 4s tires in 245/30/20. Can these last a track day or two or will the shoulder get chunking and deteriorate on the track? I would hate to waste these tires. I was thinking of doing 1 track day at Laguna before dropping a ton of money on an 18" wheel and tire combo.
You can track MP4S. I did 7 days on mine. Don’t expect them to give you fast times or last throughout the entire session though. They get greasy after 2-3 laps.
Sponsored

ca86108

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A whole bunch
Country flag
You can track MP4S. I did 7 days on mine. Don’t expect them to give you fast times or last throughout the entire session though. They get greasy after 2-3 laps.
\

I am just worried about the outside shoulder tearing. I just did two canyon runs and I already see a little wear on the outside shoulder lol. Did you track these tires in this exact size? 245/30/20? Are the outside shoulders more durable than that of the Conti?

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
\

I am just worried about the outside shoulder tearing. I just did two canyon runs and I already see a little wear on the outside shoulder lol. Did you track these tires in this exact size? 245/30/20? Are the outside shoulders more durable than that of the Conti?
No I had the same problem even in a 265/35/18. You can probably get a way with one track day if you don’t over drive the tire

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TSX (Euro-R mods), 2009 Acura TSX, 2008 MDX, 2011 Shelby GT500, 2018 Type R, 2020 MDX A-Spec
Country flag
Has anyone deleted the fogs to make any custom ducting to a cooler or to the radiator? Just curious if it's even an option. Looks like the TCR CTR just uses it for ducting
Not yet, but once I get my front bumper back onI plan on running it on track days with both fog lights removed to improve the airflow to the driver side USR oil cooler (alone with some cut diamonds in the fake fog light grill), and to the custom mounted Mishi oil cooler on the passenger side. No ducting though other than the one supplied with the USR cooler.
I don't expect much of an improvement but it looks like it should be easy enough to pop out both fog light grill/garnish pieces and unplug and unscrew and remove the fog lights before and after each session at the track. Turns out each fog light is held into the black fog light garnish with 2 screws.
I'll post up more details once I get my car back together and get it to the track around mid July.

CTRismybeater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 E90 M3 & 2019 FK8 CTR
Country flag
Quick question as I haven’t seen the answer searching. Is anyone else experiencing low or no oil consumption even on the track? I’m not detecting any either with 0w20 or 5w40 and I keep the temp gauge pegged to just under the top of its range. Measuring with the dip stick and oil drain volume. Thank you.

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
Quick question as I haven’t seen the answer searching. Is anyone else experiencing low or no oil consumption even on the track? I’m not detecting any either with 0w20 or 5w40 and I keep the temp gauge pegged to just under the top of its range. Measuring with the dip stick and oil drain volume. Thank you.
My car doesn’t consume oil at all. I use Motul 300v

LURK-R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatch
Country flag
What's everyone using for topping off on fuel? The hoses on my jugs are too girthy. I'm hoping for economical options like replacement tops, hoses, etc. for my standard VP jugs.

b2point0h

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2006 v8 4x4 4Runner
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

LURK-R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatch
Country flag
Last edited:

roflitzjinno

First Name
Jinno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda S2000
Country flag
Just adding to this for experience. Drove/instructed Road America this past weekend in full stock form. Brakes, pads, and tires were all stock.

Ambient temps for 65 on Saturday with rain for most of the day, and 70 Sunday sunny for most of the day. No overheating either days. Full 20 minute sessions 4 mile track, very high speeds. Car is super capable in stock form as I expected. Just didn't expect it to be this fun. As expected brakes were not a strong enough compound for late braking and a bit squishy half way through my session. Tires are capable for those starting out, but I will definitely be upgrading as expected. Overall good weekend, minor tweaks to the car. I don't see myself needing to change the suspension as the stock felt very compliant in full stock form.

Last edited:

LURK-R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatch
Country flag
@roflitzjinno Thanks for the insight. I also agree that the car is very capable in stock form. I found myself killing the sidewall on some V720 in the dry. I'm pretty sure I'd cook the hell out of the stock tires in one day. Need more camber.

roflitzjinno

First Name
Jinno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda S2000
Country flag
@roflitzjinno Thanks for the insight. I also agree that the car is very capable in stock form. I found myself killing the sidewall on some V720 in the dry. I'm pretty sure I'd cook the hell out of the stock tires in one day. Need more camber.
Sidewalls actually looked good, didn't see too much roll over. Tire pressures were on point most of the weekend for me. Kept it around 35-36 hot, seemed my front driver got roughly 0.5 to 1 PSI higher than all the other tires. Tires got a bit greasy after 10 minutes or so, but I had fun with it. Definitely more camber is needed, I like a lot of front camber personally, so will be investing in some camber all around for the car.

b2point0h

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2006 v8 4x4 4Runner
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just adding to this for experience. Drove/instructed Road America this past weekend in full stock form. Brakes, pads, and tires were all stock.

Ambient temps for 65 on Saturday with rain for most of the day, and 70 Sunday sunny for most of the day. No overheating either days. Full 20 minute sessions 4 mile track, very high speeds. Car is super capable in stock form as I expected. Just didn't expect it to be this fun. As expected brakes were a strong enough compound for late braking and a bit squishy and maybe half way through my session. Tires are capable for those starting out, but I will definitely be upgrading as expected. Overall good weekend, minor tweaks to the car. I don't see myself needing to change the suspension as the stock felt very compliant in full stock form.
Nice report Jinno! This car is crazy capable and fun in full stock form.

I'll also add my report from this past weekend

Track: Buttonwillow CCW 26
Car/Mods: 19 CTR - PRL IC, PRL Piping, PRL Intake, Remark Spec III Exhaust, Koyo radiator, Acuity Hoses, e25 tune set to 24psi, high flow grill, HKS oil cooler, Motul 300V 5w-30, Swift springs, 265/35/18 RE71R
Lap Time: 2:03:6xx
Conditions: First session 69F, Second Session 70F, Third Session 92F
Report: Car had no overheating issues any sessions. Was able to get about 9 laps in S1 & S3 before temps got close to 235-240, did 1 cool down lap and temps were back to 190F, ready to push hard again. There was also some traffic so after those laps i came into pits. No brake fade issues and was braking fairly hard into some turns.

I truly feel the e25 tune is one of the biggest contributing factors to keeping the temps in check. I strongly urge others to look into a tune keeping the boost lower using ethanol rather than spending thousands on other hardware that may or may not yield the results they are expecting.

I'll gather my datalogs from the SOLO and Hondata and quantify some of these findings.

LURK-R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatch
Country flag
Sidewalls actually looked good, didn't see too much roll over. Tire pressures were on point most of the weekend for me. Kept it around 35-36 hot, seemed my front driver got roughly 0.5 to 1 PSI higher than all the other tires. Tires got a bit greasy after 10 minutes or so, but I had fun with it. Definitely more camber is needed, I like a lot of front camber personally, so will be investing in some camber all around for the car.
I can totally agree with what you've said in previous posts. I know too many people who think that they need a bunch of mods to go and turn laps. Only to never experience what it's all about.
Sponsored