Civic Type R After-market Wheel Guide

Slapshot

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3 m40i, 2021 Civic Type R (arrives July 27)
Country flag
Another +1 on the Motegi's. I run the MR145s in bronze with 255/40/18 PS4S's. At 21lbs per wheel and around $200 per wheel, hard to beat.

Discount Tire has a 10% Vet discount as well for you fellow Vets.
Didn't realize Discount Tire had Montegi's! Will look into that. I have a great relationship, going back many years, with my local store.
Sponsored

saijintrunks

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Toyota Camry TRD
Country flag
On the previous page (post 3076) I mentioned I installed some black Motegi MR 145 18x9.5 +45 wheels with Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar 3R's (275/35R18). I initially was going to go with 265/35R18 tires but they were almost $70 more per corner than the 275's..

I am happy to report that after having the car on the track yesterday the rear tires did not rub at all. The front passenger side rubbed the front tab inside the front well just a touch. I have now bent both tabs up about 30 degrees or so with the screw still in them. I suspect that I won't have any more contact as there was no contact on the driver side. Note however, that my front camber is -28/-2.6 (Hardrace lower camber adjust plates set to position B with the guide pins pulled).

Here is another shot of the car at the end of the track day yesterday :)

IMG_3884.jpeg
I was going to go with the 275 F1s as well but my wheels are too aggressive to run them, my extra/extra set of wheels wil be +45 to rock those wide tires. Looks great.

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TSX (Euro-R mods), 2009 Acura TSX, 2008 MDX, 2011 Shelby GT500, 2018 Type R, 2020 MDX A-Spec
Country flag
Jesse, I am sure you are aware the Goodyear F1 3R's aren't exactly tire for daily driving (ie watch them in the rain and they wear fast) - They are better suited for the track/competetion.

From my very limited us of them on the track (once so far) I am pretty happy with them so far..
But with a treadwear of 100 I am not sure how long they will hold up..
By comparison Cup 2's show a treadwear rating of 180.

Slapshot

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
John, I tend to agree with Florence_NC. The inner face on those VELOXFLIGHT rims look awfully flat and you might encounter a brake clearance problem with the Brembo's up front..

Why not take a look at Motegi's ? More than a few styles that fit, good weight and their prices are reasonable..
I'm very close to placing my order, but just realized that the Montegi's I like, and had decided on, since Tire rack says they fit on the Typer R, the MR146-SS6, is only available in a +35mm offset. That will cause all kinds of handling and torque steer issues per a friend that is a longtime automotive suspension engineer. He has worked with Lotus, Aston Matin and BMW, so he knows what he speaks of. Per his advice, anything less than 50mm offset will create issues.

I really wanted to go with 18 inch wheels, but there is absolutely nothing I can find that will fit a Type R and also have a usable offset. That now means going with 19 inch wheels, and again, the only option I can find there (except possibly on much more expensive forged wheels) is the one noted by Florence_NC, the Montegi 924's. Not the most attractive wheel, and, on top of that, it also will cost me an extra $300.00 for four over the other Montegi's. Not to mention It's a 19" wheel, and again, hardly ideal for Michigan roads, or ride quality (though at least better than the 20's).

All of this for a tire/wheel set that I'll only be using for 18 months, at most. Not really much choice though. Given the previously noted Michigan road issues and the fact that driving on 20's here is insane, much less with the rubber band size side walls of the provided tires. Add in the extremely fast wear on the OEM tires (meaning I might have to replace them TWICE at a minimum of $1300.00 a pop) and there isn't any other sensible option than to replace the wheels and tires.

saijintrunks

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Toyota Camry TRD
Country flag
I'm very close to placing my order, but just realized that the Montegi's I like, and had decided on, since Tire rack says they fit on the Typer R, the MR146-SS6, is only available in a +35mm offset. That will cause all kinds of handling and torque steer issues per a friend that is a longtime automotive suspension engineer. He has worked with Lotus, Aston Matin and BMW, so he knows what he speaks of. Per his advice, anything less than 50mm offset will create issues.

I really wanted to go with 18 inch wheels, but there is absolutely nothing I can find that will fit a Type R and also have a usable offset. That now means going with 19 inch wheels, and again, the only option I can find there (except possibly on much more expensive forged wheels) is the one noted by Florence_NC, the Montegi 924's. Not the most attractive wheel, and, on top of that, it also will cost me an extra $300.00 for four over the other Montegi's. Not to mention It's a 19" wheel, and again, hardly ideal for Michigan roads, or ride quality (though at least better than the 20's).

All of this for a tire/wheel set that I'll only be using for 18 months, at most. Not really much choice though. Given the previously noted Michigan road issues and the fact that driving on 20's here is insane, much less with the rubber band size side walls of the provided tires. Add in the extremely fast wear on the OEM tires (meaning I might have to replace them TWICE at a minimum of $1300.00 a pop) and there isn't any other sensible option than to replace the wheels and tires.
Personally, they are all opinions unless you have tried them yourself. 18x9.5 with +38 or +45 range will work with 265/35-18 or the 255/40-18 tires. Will you drive this car so hard and aggressive on local roads for you to even notice torque steer? Have you experienced torque steer? Now these are all just questions that I am asking to help and not bash you.

Slapshot

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Personally, they are all opinions unless you have tried them yourself. 18x9.5 with +38 or +45 range will work with 265/35-18 or the 255/40-18 tires. Will you drive this car so hard and aggressive on local roads for you to even notice torque steer? Have you experienced torque steer? Now these are all just questions that I am asking to help and not bash you.
Good, and fair questions. I don't have the ability to try different wheels etc. I am basing my comments on what a people here, with apparent expertise are saying, as regards torque steer, etc. There have also been comments that going to 18x9.5 creates suspension/handling issues, or issues with "stock" height. I don't have any personal knowledge in this area, and have been taking into account what more experienced people have seen with their Type R wheel and tire choices.

saijintrunks

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Toyota Camry TRD
Country flag
Good, and fair questions. I don't have the ability to try different wheels etc. I am basing my comments on what a people here, with apparent expertise are saying, as regards torque steer, etc. There have also been comments that going to 18x9.5 creates suspension/handling issues, or issues with "stock" height. I don't have any personal knowledge in this area, and have been taking into account what more experienced people have seen with their Type R wheel and tire choices.
I put my aftermarket wheels on right after driving with the stock wheels, only thing I did notice was the steering wheel having a heavier feel but I have not issues with suspension/handling issues. Accelerated on an on ramp this morning and no issues on WOT.

Slapshot

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I put my aftermarket wheels on right after driving with the stock wheels, only thing I did notice was the steering wheel having a heavier feel but I have not issues with suspension/handling issues. Accelerated on an on ramp this morning and no issues on WOT.
Thanks,. very good information on things operating fine with no changes.

Slapshot

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If I can truly rely on being able to go with 18/9.5 wheels, with no rubbing, and no issue with the stock suspension, that gives me several additional alternatives.

Slapshot

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If I can truly rely on being able to go with 18/9.5 wheels, with no rubbing, and no issue with the stock suspension, that gives me several additional alternatives.
Anyone?

bigbacon

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
did I ask this, if I did I am sorry, but what offset on 18s gets the wheels/tires fairly close to flush with the wheel wells?

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
did I ask this, if I did I am sorry, but what offset on 18s gets the wheels/tires fairly close to flush with the wheel wells?
18x9.5+35 imo

Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R After-market Wheel Guide FK8-5813

This is the best shot I have to illustrate it. Wheels with 255-35-18s sat damn near flush. No rub on 255s either, id expect the same of 265s.
Sponsored