Votes: 38 22.6%

• Total voters

HondaFan2017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 PMM CTR (ex BMW 420d GC)
Country flag
I might get some hate for this but here it goes anyway. I HATE the spoiler/wing on the ctr. I have a deposit down but now I'm getting cold feet. I love everything else about the ctr but to me, the spoiler, asthetically adds a douche factor. I know it has a purpose and all, but to me it just looks so douchey. Can it be removed? lol
I've had an 87 CRX, 2 Accords, a crappy Del sol, a 90's Prelude and an 04 Civic Si Hatchback. I obviously love Hondas. I just wish Honda would make a new Si hatch! Since they are not, the choice is the ctr. Thoughts on the looks of the spoiler?
True that wing stands out getting unwanted attention(people thinking you are a speed freak, police). I don't see it that extreme though - douchey. I would keep it for:
- functional role (don't want to end up loosing control on highway/Autobahn)
- it fixes a bit for me that strange civic FK8 back
- I like a track capable car that also looks like one - my tastes. I don't like a car that looks like almost others on the street.
- I learned up until now that the only ones entitled to tell me how to live my life are the ones who pay my housing and fill up my fridge. Others can have opinions(I'm open to the constructive ones/lots to learn this is why I'm here) but it's up to me to decide who am I listening to. As long as I don't bother the others I can make my own choices.
Sponsored

Last edited:

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
I'm pretty sure you could pull the wing and be just fine- - my guess isn't it doesn't have much aerodynamic impact below 50mph And even up to 75-80 it wouldn't be unstable

SaiHayashi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FN2R NHB 2008; NA8 MX-5 turbo 2013; LandRover Discovery 2016; FK8R CW 2017
Country flag
True that wing stands out getting unwanted attention(people thinking you are a speed freak, police). I don't see it that extreme though - douchey. I would keep it for:
- functional role (don't want to end up loosing control on highway/Autobahn)
- it fixes a bit for me that strange civic FK8 back
- I like a track capable car that also looks like one - my tastes. I don't like a car that looks like almost others on the street.
- I learned up until now that the only ones entitled to tell me how to live my life are the ones who pay my housing and fill up my fridge. Others can have opinions(I'm open to the constructive ones/lots to learn this is why I'm here) but it's up to me to decide who am I listening to. As long as I don't bother the others I can make my own choices.
Same I thought the c shaped brake lights were hideous until the type r aero with the wing.

JDhonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 CTR #2043, 03 S2000, 05 Element, 69 Charger
I might get some hate for this but here it goes anyway. I HATE the spoiler/wing on the ctr. I have a deposit down but now I'm getting cold feet. I love everything else about the ctr but to me, the spoiler, asthetically adds a douche factor. I know it has a purpose and all, but to me it just looks so douchey. Can it be removed? lol
I've had an 87 CRX, 2 Accords, a crappy Del sol, a 90's Prelude and an 04 Civic Si Hatchback. I obviously love Hondas. I just wish Honda would make a new Si hatch! Since they are not, the choice is the ctr. Thoughts on the looks of the spoiler?
I personally love the look of the CTR as it is, however, i can see how the wing might easily oppose ones taste in cars. Most spoilers when there attached its simply 2 holes on either side of the trunk/hatch that are drilled through and fastened from the back side via four bolts. now don't quote me because this could be different from the CTR but i doubt it. Some also once they are slotted in the holes, the spoiler may push forward locking in a smaller hole, so instead of a round hole, it will look like a 2 ball snowman sort of...
So removal should be very simply and then it would just be a matter of welding in the small holes and have that particular panel painted/color matched and your done.
Then sell your spoiler for prob more than enough money to finance the entire project!

atwellb79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Si, 335xi
Country flag
I am with you too. I have already talked with my sales guy into quoting out a hatch swap with a sport hatchback. It should be an easy swap. Plus I figure some teenager would love to have the Type R spoiler on the back of there civic hatchback.

Eddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R 2014 Pilot 08 Mugen Si
Country flag
I am with you too. I have already talked with my sales guy into quoting out a hatch swap with a sport hatchback. It should be an easy swap. Plus I figure some teenager would love to have the Type R spoiler on the back of there civic hatchback.
Although personally I always keep my original parts and I'd never remove the wing, the hatch will probably be the easiest part to trade with a standard hatch owner. As long as it's the same color and not a CW etc. Either that or you can wait for a wrecked hatchback and get it that way.

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TSX (Euro-R mods), 2009 Acura TSX, 2008 MDX, 2011 Shelby GT500, 2018 Type R, 2020 MDX A-Spec
Country flag
I personally love the look of the CTR as it is, however, i can see how the wing might easily oppose ones taste in cars. Most spoilers when there attached its simply 2 holes on either side of the trunk/hatch that are drilled through and fastened from the back side via four bolts. now don't quote me because this could be different from the CTR but i doubt it. Some also once they are slotted in the holes, the spoiler may push forward locking in a smaller hole, so instead of a round hole, it will look like a 2 ball snowman sort of...
So removal should be very simply and then it would just be a matter of welding in the small holes and have that particular panel painted/color matched and your done.
Then sell your spoiler for prob more than enough money to finance the entire project!
JDhonda has pretty well nailed it here. Most Honda / Acura spoilers are a two hole per side set up. With some very subtle color matched plugs this should come off easy and there is no doubt you can sell the spoiler for a few bucks. Seen a number of WRX STI owners go this route and it looked not bad at all. I certainly would not let something as simple as a spoiler stop you from getting one if you like everything else about this car. Should be an easy fix and should be an awesome ride! :thumbsup:

4DBox

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Silver EXT, 2018 Volt
Country flag
I see the type R as a Shmee-mobile, if you are familiar with this Youtube personality. What that means is a halo car you mostly securely garage and take out now and then. Ask yourself if you would daily your type R and park it in the mall lot between the ghetto cruisers. Or park it on the street between jacked up F type pickup trucks with steel bumpers and tow hitches sticking out. Leave it in the parking lot at the sports stadium here in Oakland with the Raider Nation types. How much are those wheels worth? Is this car theft-proof? In a nutshell, too much worry about leaving it anywhere, I couldn't deal with that.

erbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Nissan Altima, 2004 BMW M3
Country flag
I see the type R as a Shmee-mobile, if you are familiar with this Youtube personality. What that means is a halo car you mostly securely garage and take out now and then. Ask yourself if you would daily your type R and park it in the mall lot between the ghetto cruisers. Or park it on the street between jacked up F type pickup trucks with steel bumpers and tow hitches sticking out. Leave it in the parking lot at the sports stadium here in Oakland with the Raider Nation types. How much are those wheels worth? Is this car theft-proof? In a nutshell, too much worry about leaving it anywhere, I couldn't deal with that.

Where do you live really? It's 35K car. Far from a exotic car. Every car costs that much nowadays.

pie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 R32 GTR, 2010 WRX STi, 2002 EP3 SiR
Where do you live really? It's 35K car. Far from a exotic car. Every car costs that much nowadays.
Oakland is scary. I would definitely be scared to leave a new Type R there. That being said, not every place is as crazy as Oakland.. and really it's not an exotic car per se. Rare? Maybe. But not I'll-never-drive-it rare or expensive.

erbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Nissan Altima, 2004 BMW M3
Country flag
Oakland is scary. I would definitely be scared to leave a new Type R there. That being said, not every place is as crazy as Oakland.. and really it's not an exotic car per se. Rare? Maybe. But not I'll-never-drive-it rare or expensive.
True. Down here ppl park their gold M4 on the street over night, I wouldn't worry about a Honda.....

Summerwha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Civic Hatchback Si
Oakland IS scary. I visit friends there once a year. She calls the car break-ins the "Oakland Tax". Lol! I'm in Louisville, KY so I don't have to worry about that too much although, some parts of the city are wise than others.

pie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 R32 GTR, 2010 WRX STi, 2002 EP3 SiR
Oakland IS scary. I visit friends there once a year. She calls the car break-ins the "Oakland Tax". Lol! I'm in Louisville, KY so I don't have to worry about that too much although, some parts of the city are wise than others.
I seemed some dude passed out against a wall (pretty standard) but a few other guys were doing this big spray graffiti on the same wall... Didn't even notice the passed out dude. Just kept painting right over him. And over, and over, and over. It was on the way to a Raiders game. Never again lol.
Sponsored