ApexEight

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Yeah I feel like people exceed load ratings all the time. Imagine a Civic Hatchback Sport with 5 250lb dudes on their way to DragonCon get into an accident. They exceed the weight limit of the poor Hatchback Sport, but does that void the driver's insurance coverage?
Sponsored

SW20MR2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MR2
Country flag
No insurance company will go to jury court for fender bender over a seat which has to be pointed out that it does not belong in Type R. This is way overblown. It is just like getting into accident and insurance guy pointing to the intake and saying it is modified! Not covering it! I will reiterate the point unless the accident is so severe that somebody is suing the Honda for safety of the car - it is not even worth debating :) I am switching to this set up.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
No insurance company will go to jury court for fender bender over a seat which has to be pointed out that it does not belong in Type R. This is way overblown. It is just like getting into accident and insurance guy pointing to the intake and saying it is modified! Not covering it! I will reiterate the point unless the accident is so severe that somebody is suing the Honda for safety of the car - it is not even worth debating :) I am switching to this set up.
If they find out there were 5 people in a 4-seater car during the accident and injuries occurred I feel like one of two things will happen:
  1. If they're a good/friendly insurance company they'll investigate what happened inside the car. Then decide if you were liable.
  2. If not, they'll just bring up the discrepancy and deny the claim immediately because they have nothing to loose doing that.
If they deny your claim and you pursue further action, (1) would probably bring you to court if the damages are high enough and (2) will then do a similar investigation that (1) did and make the same decision (1) would have made regarding legal action.

I feel like lots of insurance companies just eat discrepancies for breakfast though.

That said, the best thing to do would be to ask your insurance agent the hypothetical. They'll be able to give you a more truthful, accurate answer than I can.

ATM

First Name
ATM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
Anyone else tried to convert their CTR to a 5 seated?

s2kdriver80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 FK8 Honda Civic Type R, MY03 AP1 Honda S2000
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I wonder what the load on the outside tires/suspension is on the CTR during hard cornering. Someone want to do the math using some weight inside the car, velocity, radius, etc? :) My point is, the CTR suspension is designed to take a beating and for the car to be driven hard.

Just a possible guess. Since the CTR can generate more lateral g's then lesser Civics, the lower weight limit takes this into account in order to compensate for the increased weight on the outside suspension during hard turning. Perhaps they are considering the worst possible situation during the course of a drive. So it's possible that in normal straight driving and when cornering like a normal human, the weight "limit" is immaterial.

Last edited:

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Gee, do you think the Honda Engineering team did its homework or was it really the bean-counters wanting to sell 25% more CTRs? !

ooolEXILElooo

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
This is my first post here, thought it might help someone out that was in the same boat. Perhaps you want to buy the Type R, but need three rear seats for your kids? I've found posts talking about the conversion, but didn't find any tutorials on how to do it. I convinced my self it was possible and decided to trade in my 2019 WRX. I've outlined the journey below.

Project: 5 SeateRRRRR

Tools: Like any other good honda I've owned, you can do this with a 10mm, 12mm and 14mm. You'll also need:
Ratchet (impact also helps)
Extension (makes the job much easier)
Large Philips head screwdriver
small flat head (or small pry tool)
Panel tool
7mUoVu4.jpg

Materials:
You''ll need the rear seats out of another 5 door as the center seat belt is built into that section. I picked up the 60%, 40% and seat bench used off ebay for about $450 total. I wanted to maintain the stock look, so went with cloth which probably came from a LX? They look nearly identical except for a couple spots with white stitching instead of red.
8hHQP2R.jpg

You'll also need to get a new seat belt buckle that replaces the right rear buckle and adds the center section. I ordered one (04823-TGG-A00ZA) for about $35 from hondaautomotiveparts.com

Before we get started, here is what we are working with:
3PSaUsS.jpg

First step is removing Seat bottom out. There is a small tab you pull (two) that help release the seat base.
YosTvUs.jpg

Next, use a 10mm socket behind the driver side rear to remove the retaining bolt.
sSwpjgE.jpg

Now remove the rear seat and set it aside.
tN7fpO6.jpg

Pry up the small panel on each side, there are two plastic retainers. Pull gently.
qtasoRL.jpg

Now, pull the weather stripping up so we can get to the panel behind the two shoulder belts.
A9eroOp.jpg

Now you will need to remove a single 10mm bolt from the panel behind the two side shoulder belts. My finger is on it here after I got it started.
QNDbBgd.jpg

Be very careful when removing this. This panel is wedged in there good, and it's easy to brake the retaining tabs.
5EYKn5U.jpg

Now, you can access the rear seat back mounts. There are two bolts on the driver side and one on the passenger side.
Removing the two anchor bolts for the seat back on L side (I already removed them in this pic, see the two holes? USe the 12mm socket for this.
lauVFpl.jpg

Do the same on the passenger side to remove the one mounting bracket hole.

Use the pry tool to get at the phillips head screw keeping the hatchback floor carpet anchored down.
Kan9aXY.jpg

Ajc8yHN.jpg

Now, use the panel tool to remove the plastic retaining rings keeping the seat back carpet anchored to the floor.
AUjV1ED.jpg

The last thing holding the 40% seat back in is the center retainer. Use a 12mm to undo this bracket near the center. Remove the seat once you pull it out.
ViKtxpF.jpg

Once the 40% side is out, it will reveal this 12mm nut keeping the 60% side in. Remove it, and take the 60% side out.
h3BhabE.jpg

Time to start reinstalling stuff!
Install the new 60% section in place. Start with the last bolt you just removed for the center bracket. Be sure to keep the plastic ring on the end of the center pin.
XK6MtO9.jpg

This is mostly reverse steps of the removal.
Installing the 40% section, put the bracket back in using the 12mm bolts you saved earlier.
ffTedxD.jpg

Remember to put the carpet anchors back in for the seat backs.
pQEE8NO.jpg

Reinstall the hatch floor anchors
6MVVA3W.jpg

Next, install the (1) outer 12mm bolt for the passenger seat back bracket and (2) for the driver side.
(no pic)
Next, reinstall the side panels behind the side seat belts. This is a PITA in my opinion and the worst part of the whole job. It's hard to get the tabs aligned right. Just take your time.
(no pic)
Once finished, don't forget to install the (1) 10mm bolt on each side.
QNDbBgd.jpg

Next, reinstall the small sill panels
hjIPD2s.jpg

One last look at the old seat belts
7z9n8Rk.jpg

Laying the new double buckle in place. See the original one with empty loop and the new replacement (04823-TGG-A00ZA)
b3yeAzl.jpg

Remove the old and install the new using the 14mm socket
QTH8iwm.jpg

Removed driver side buckle bolt
aCHLZmR.jpg

Now, combine the buckle from the new/used 60% section with the old buckle using the 14mm.
X7n6Uqe.jpg

Pop the new/used rear bottom in place, and reinstall the 10mm retainer behind the driver side.
g0DckrF.jpg

Looking good!
SZ223vh.jpg

c2H5vXp.jpg

Final:
Before:
3PSaUsS.jpg

After:
Seat belt extender added to help with my son's booster on the driver rear (booster not pictured)
Ok6qXy0.jpg

Came out well, I'm pleased. I hope this helps out the other family crew considering the R.
Hey do you have any info on where exatly to get that back seat assembly and for what model and year? I have looked everywhere.

OP
OP

95PreludeSi

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R, 2005 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
Country flag
Hey do you have any info on where exatly to get that back seat assembly and for what model and year? I have looked everywhere.
I didn’t see any listed on eBay at the moment, but you just need the rear seats from a 5-door/hatch model. That has the two piece fold down with the integrated seat belt. Make sure you don’t get the sedan or coupe seat. The buckle can be ordered directly from Honda.

What ever you do, don’t post about it here. The lawyers and insurance agents above will get you!!!!

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gobeyondcreative.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I didn’t see any listed on eBay at the moment, but you just need the rear seats from a 5-door/hatch model. That has the two piece fold down with the integrated seat belt. Make sure you don’t get the sedan or coupe seat. The buckle can be ordered directly from Honda.

What ever you do, don’t post about it here. The lawyers and insurance agents above will get you!!!!
I'm having trouble finding one on eBay ATM as well.

wallyinc

First Name
Wally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R , S2000 Powered ‘72 BMW 2002
Country flag
We only had one baby when we bought my R in 2018. Next round we were blessed with twins. Making this modification was way better and cheaper than buying another vehicle. Found some seats at a salvage yard, these yt videos helped a bunch to remove the rear upper/lower seat.

Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R - 5 seat conversion EAA8E5EB-36EA-40C5-AB06-997855C7F6A6

Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R - 5 seat conversion BCA1DD49-E3DD-4D8F-83CF-B8D9AEA7BE1D

Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R - 5 seat conversion FEE66E0D-5C65-43C9-915C-5241F3257805

OP
OP

95PreludeSi

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R, 2005 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
Country flag
I sold the R, but returned it to stock before it left.

My kit as seen in the first post is now available if anyone wants to buy it.

see here

vasekvi

First Name
Vasek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
I have test fitted the bottom seat cushion from a Civic Sedan a couple years ago in contemplation of getting rid of the middle cup holders and being able to fit a middle rear passenger for that rare situation when I might need to fit a fifth passenger, albeit unrestrained. It was a perfect fit, so I priced out the Civic Si sedan bottom cushion, which runs about $350 new from the dealer. The red stitching on that cushion is a good match for the rest of the FK8 interior. I decided to keep the cup holders in the back seat since I realized that I actually like using them to hold drinks, so they don't get in the way in the front center console. I also ended up picking up a Ridgeline as a beater to keep miles off my R, so I really do not need the extra seat anymore.

Long story short, the rear bottom seat cushion from a Civic Si would be a good match for the red stitching for anyone considering getting rid of the cup holders.

gaiakai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
e46 M3
Country flag
I know I’m bumping an old thread but i just did this conversion and wanted to say thank you! Also wanted to add a few notes from my experience of doing this.

When taking apart the seatbacks, I think a better guide would be the video from post #71 since you don't have to go through the trouble of taking apart the plastic trim holding the seatbelts.

If you do take apart that plastic trim though, I found that when putting them back together, it's a LOT easier if you take apart the plastic trim into its two pieces:

You can see there are tabs towards where the seatbelt goes through:
Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R - 5 seat conversion 8BD93521-2202-4DD4-A09C-5CC71F578ADE

Use a plastic pry tool to gently push them out and you'll end up with this:
Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R - 5 seat conversion 1BDE16D7-B989-453C-AC37-171A56A898FB

And the part by the seatbelt has a slot for it to feed through:
Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R - 5 seat conversion 925FDB69-B1A4-40C3-AC1A-E290796D1454

So once that's out, put it aside and install the lower piece of the trim back first - making sure to keep the seatbelt and belt buckle on the outside:
Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R - 5 seat conversion 65E859B3-AADA-41A1-A29F-C57CFC84A41C

Then simply feed the smaller plastic trim through the seatbelt like so:
Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R - 5 seat conversion D31A423F-EBCB-453F-A5CF-C66D3620B591

and snap it back in place:
Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R - 5 seat conversion F918DFCE-610A-491D-A71B-FD6A9842F909

Don't forget to press the little plastic gap in:
Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R - 5 seat conversion B2DE7038-514B-45AE-91A0-D8D0A37310DF

And you're done:
Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R - 5 seat conversion 957FA2BF-12C7-4A97-A86D-A5DDD3ECA91D

Taking them apart like this makes it simpler than trying to finagle the whole thing back in place and aligning the tabs.

Now it's easier to take naps in the car! I also reused the 40% of my stock seat set since #1 there was no modification needed, so no reason to grab a used set from ebay, and #2 I couldn't find a 40% part for sale anyway.
Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R - 5 seat conversion 87F662D2-71A1-4938-A6D2-601FA4C63FAD

Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R - 5 seat conversion A0DF8B1E-A596-4A0D-8AE9-2120C7BB0FD9

98-0425

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Type-R #12307, 98 Integra Type-R #0425, 07 Pilot EX-L, 17 Pilot Elite
Country flag
^^^^

If you're doing the LE ADS swap, I did the above recommendation to put the panel back on. It took about 5 seconds to put it back on once the two pieces were separated.

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
We only had one baby when we bought my R in 2018. Next round we were blessed with twins. Making this modification was way better and cheaper than buying another vehicle. Found some seats at a salvage yard, these yt videos helped a bunch to remove the rear upper/lower seat.

FEE66E0D-5C65-43C9-915C-5241F3257805.jpeg
Genuine question, would these three car seats fit with without the 3 seat cushion swap?