Civic Type R - 5 seat conversion

tacthecat

Reaction score
Car(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan, '98 Civic EX Coupe 5MT (gifted 3-2020)
Country flag
In court, especially with a non-criminal case, they (the plaintiff) dosen't have to "prove anything" - their lawyer just has to convince the jury you're liable! Ditto if you're the plaintiff.

Advertisement

ApexEight

First Name
Anthony
Reaction score
Car(s)
2008 Honda Civic Si sedan
Country flag
Yeah I feel like people exceed load ratings all the time. Imagine a Civic Hatchback Sport with 5 250lb dudes on their way to DragonCon get into an accident. They exceed the weight limit of the poor Hatchback Sport, but does that void the driver's insurance coverage?

SW20MR2

Reaction score
Car(s)
MR2
Country flag
No insurance company will go to jury court for fender bender over a seat which has to be pointed out that it does not belong in Type R. This is way overblown. It is just like getting into accident and insurance guy pointing to the intake and saying it is modified! Not covering it! I will reiterate the point unless the accident is so severe that somebody is suing the Honda for safety of the car - it is not even worth debating :) I am switching to this set up.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Reaction score
Car(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
No insurance company will go to jury court for fender bender over a seat which has to be pointed out that it does not belong in Type R. This is way overblown. It is just like getting into accident and insurance guy pointing to the intake and saying it is modified! Not covering it! I will reiterate the point unless the accident is so severe that somebody is suing the Honda for safety of the car - it is not even worth debating :) I am switching to this set up.
If they find out there were 5 people in a 4-seater car during the accident and injuries occurred I feel like one of two things will happen:
  1. If they're a good/friendly insurance company they'll investigate what happened inside the car. Then decide if you were liable.
  2. If not, they'll just bring up the discrepancy and deny the claim immediately because they have nothing to loose doing that.
If they deny your claim and you pursue further action, (1) would probably bring you to court if the damages are high enough and (2) will then do a similar investigation that (1) did and make the same decision (1) would have made regarding legal action.

I feel like lots of insurance companies just eat discrepancies for breakfast though.

That said, the best thing to do would be to ask your insurance agent the hypothetical. They'll be able to give you a more truthful, accurate answer than I can.

ATM

First Name
ATM
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Si FC1
Country flag
Anyone else tried to convert their CTR to a 5 seated?

s2kdriver80

Reaction score
Car(s)
MY03 Honda S2000
Country flag
I wonder what the load on the outside tires/suspension is on the CTR during hard cornering. Someone want to do the math using some weight inside the car, velocity, radius, etc? :) My point is, the CTR suspension is designed to take a beating and for the car to be driven hard.

Just a possible guess. Since the CTR can generate more lateral g's then lesser Civics, the lower weight limit takes this into account in order to compensate for the increased weight on the outside suspension during hard turning. Perhaps they are considering the worst possible situation during the course of a drive. So it's possible that in normal straight driving and when cornering like a normal human, the weight "limit" is immaterial.

Last edited:

tacthecat

Reaction score
Car(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan, '98 Civic EX Coupe 5MT (gifted 3-2020)
Country flag
Gee, do you think the Honda Engineering team did its homework or was it really the bean-counters wanting to sell 25% more CTRs? !

Advertisement

Advertisement