Civic Track Day

kern

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Civic Si Sedan, 12 MIata SE PRHT
For those that don’t want to read this complete posting, I’ll summarize it for you….The Type R is in one word….AMAZING!

With the Track Day we got to drive 17 Si Sedans and Type Rs. The cars were basically brand new. That takes confidence in your cars as these were not ‘prepped’ or broken in. There were zero issues with any of the cars after a second day of track usage (day before was a dealer event) and I did not see anyone that remotely looked like a Honda service technician hanging around.

So here are some of my thoughts on the car….I fit in the Type R like I do into our MX-5. With the R you are part of the car as it surrounds you. I immediately noticed the thigh bolsters as I’ve never owned a car that the seats hug you like the seats in this car. You do not move as you are driving the car hard around a track. The transmission in the R is silky smooth with short / firm throws. Similar in throws to my MX-5, but the Honda tranny has to be the industry standard. Until my MX-5s tranny gets warm it has a grinding mechanical feel. Engine wise, the engine is nice and linear. Loved the power :) . I’ll admit we did not do any drag starts as all starts were quick / smooth. On the track there was no noticeable torque steer and there were slower / complex corners on the track, higher speed flat sweeping corners, and a banked oval turn. I’d love to see a cut away drawing of the driveline to understand how they did it. The Type R is the first car I’ve ever driven with rev matching and oh I love this feature. We had one specific drill that we practiced smoothly braking while downshifting coming into a corner. Sweet! As far as looks…..I was worried that the large rear wing would give the car an aftermarket / rice burner image, but in person it really is not that eye grabbing. It really fits into the overall aesthetics of the car. I never liked the stock big wing on the last generation Supra for example as it looked aftermarket to me. I would say the Type R’s wing is more noticeable with certain colors though.

I keep trying to think of a car that I would compare it to after driving it as it is a car designed for aggressive driving, but well refined. I’ve not driven the Focus RS, but I just can’t see that package being this well rounded. Subaru's are no comparison. The Golf R is boring looking to me and my experience with VW reliability is terrible. The only cars I can think of to compare to the Type R would be the twin turbo BMW 3 series sedan or Audi S4 (yes I know Audi is VW) which are completely different price points. My wife is fairly picky about cars and she loved the Type R.

The car is truly impressive especially after getting to ride in a lap with Dario Franchitti driving it. Talk about a fast / smooth driving experience! For those that are thinking of ‘upgrading’ your Type R….Your first upgrade should be yourself. Invest in a driving school. The professional instructors were in Si’s and could outpace everyone I saw in the corners when we were in Type Rs.

A picture to prove it DID happen...8 Type Rs.....
Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Track Day Otc1gzD
Sponsored

yargk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R, '16 GT4, '19 GSW 4motion 6mt
Country flag
Thanks for the write-up.

These cars should be really great on track. Obviously with the 'ring lap record, the dynamics are good, but what's nice is that they are lightweight and simple compared to the M3s/S4s/Caddys/STis/Evos etc. There's one benefit of FWD! Fewer parts to break and lighter weight. It's hard to find a car that is this fast/engaging on track AND practical to haul a bunch of stuff, without weighing 3500-4500 pounds. All that extra weight means your brake pads and tires need constant attention. I imagine the wear will be quite good on the 3100 pound civic.

THE! CrazyKiwi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like trucks coz I'm a truck guy.
Country flag
Nice. DF is the consummate race car driver and a really decent human being as well.

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
Were you one of the guys that won the Civic track day sweepstake?

OP
OP

kern

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dario is a super nice down to earth guy. The best way to describe him would be he's like your next door neighbor who just happens to be extremely good looking (per my wife) and a helluva driver. He was so quick / smooth.

Yes we were one of Honda's guests for the Track Day.

I didn't think about it, but yes I've driven one of the original CTS-Vs and the Type R was similar to that.

Froggie3kb

HondaProKevin.com
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.HondaProKevin.com
Vehicle(s)
CTR, S2000, RSX-S, Accord, CR-V
Country flag
Super cool! Thanks for posting up about the experience. I was just thinking about this again the other day and was wondering if we'd have any members that got to go etc.

JJAY8175

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord 2007 Honda civic SI 97 Subaru Legacy 17 CTR CW #3892
Country flag
How many winners were there?

OP
OP

kern

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How many winners were there?
There were 10 winners and guests along with a few extra folks specifically invited. I was one of the random winners. Geographically, age, and skill it was a diverse group of fun folks.

Solis#1730

ScarFace#1730
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic hatchback
Country flag
I hope the ppl that ended buying those cars got a great deal on them. Two blue CTR' s went home the first day on a flatbed. I would blame it on the drivers though.

OP
OP

kern

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I hope the ppl that ended buying those cars got a great deal on them. Two blue CTR' s went home the first day on a flatbed. I would blame it on the drivers though.
I'm not sure the cars will be sold anytime soon. While waiting for one of the training sessions to start I was looking around the interior to see what was different between the 15 Si we own and the 17s. The window sticker was in the car. Where you would normally see all the options of the car and pricing details it was completely blank. It had a red stamp that I can't remember the exact wording, but it said American Honda Motor Company vehicle or something similar.

Honda will stand behind the cars if you buy one and based on my experience with Honda, I'd buy one if they offered me an extended warranty. As far as the two blue's going down the day before, I can't say as I did not hear about any issues. All I heard was they had a dealer event the day before. I could believe it was driver error though as the worse driver I ever rode with was a dealer trying to impress me with his skills. He about killed us and I felt sorry for that poor clutch.

Solis#1730

ScarFace#1730
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic hatchback
Country flag
I'm not sure the cars will be sold anytime soon. While waiting for one of the training sessions to start I was looking around the interior to see what was different between the 15 Si we own and the 17s. The window sticker was in the car. Where you would normally see all the options of the car and pricing details it was completely blank. It had a red stamp that I can't remember the exact wording, but it said American Honda Motor Company vehicle or something similar.

Honda will stand behind the cars if you buy one and based on my experience with Honda, I'd buy one if they offered me an extended warranty. As far as the two blue's going down the day before, I can't say as I did not hear about any issues. All I heard was they had a dealer event the day before. I could believe it was driver error though as the worse driver I ever rode with was a dealer trying to impress me with his skills. He about killed us and I felt sorry for that poor clutch.

I was at the event the first day and seen the same cars from the event at a dealer a couple of days later in south Florida and they where for sale. Do these plates look familiar to you? I would hope Honda looked out for the ppl buying these CTR's.
Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Track Day IMG_4217.JPG

Makes me wonder if Honda only built X amount of CTR's and some of them got used for purposes that make them not saleable to the public how many will actually make it to the consumer?

IamMrRoy

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 HRV, 18 Wrangler JK, 17 Wrangler JKU, 07 Pilot, 06 Chevy Express, 02 Chry PTC, 01 GMC Yukon XL Denali
Country flag

I know they are not FK8's but this looks like it could be fun . . .

Last edited:

Type-JZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Lexus GS350, B13 Sentra SE-R, '93 Camry, '07 TSX, '13 Odyssey
Country flag
thanks for this review. Now these are the reviews i enjoy reading! BTW, what year MX-5 are you comparing to? Those things are tiny!
Sponsored