Civic suspension upgrade for uber driver?

Maxara Faxa

First Name
Maxara
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Hey guys,
I turned my 2016 civic touring into an uber car in NYC. My stock suspension is past its prime. And I feel like its worn and too soft at this point.

Any recommendations on what I should upgrade my suspension to?

Everytime I look at coil overs it's for people who want to race or lower their car. I DONT want to do that. I think the car is low enough as it is! I've already scrapped the bottom on enough New York pot holes! I just need something better than stock and comfortable.
Sponsored

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
Hey guys,
I turned my 2016 civic touring into an uber car in NYC. My stock suspension is past its prime. And I feel like its worn and too soft at this point.

Any recommendations on what I should upgrade my suspension to?

Everytime I look at coil overs it's for people who want to race or lower their car. I DONT want to do that. I think the car is low enough as it is! I've already scrapped the bottom on enough New York pot holes! I just need something better than stock and comfortable.
How many miles you got on the car?

If the shocks and springs are truely worn out, I’d just go with Fresh stock parts and maybe downgrade to a 16” rim and tire with high sidewalls for a softer ride.

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
For quieter and more comfortable ride, change out to better tires (Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+). If your shocks are leaking or around 80K miles, replace with OEM parts. For firmer ride, swap out to Eibach springs but all aftermarket springs lower the car. I think Eibach usually offers the mildest drop. Decide on whether you want a firmer ride or more comfortable ride and go from there.

Maroco

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Honda civic lx 2020 civic si
Country flag
Stay stock if you want a good people hauler. Some better tires as others suggested will go a long way in ride comfort as well.

Deezy

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Sedan 6MT (FC2)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm hoping that KONI will eventually come out with some yellows for our generation.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
OEM would be best for your needs, IMO.

If Monroe offers OE Spectrums for ours, they’re a decent value and if you’re going to put piles of miles on it and expect further replacements, they’re warranties for life with the ability to turn the old ones in at the place of purchase. They start out right, give a decent ride though I feel like they don’t rebound real well after a couple years. I think I’ve used them in cars 3 or 4 times now.

It is 100% not worth it though if you’re paying for the labor to replace them, which costs as much as the parts themselves. In that case, OEM is probably the surest thing for maintaining good road manners and wearing the best. I like KYBs as well. I personally think they age better than Monroe’s but I don’t think they have lifetime replacement. I’ve used Tokico and Bilsteins years and years ago... but they were for sportier setups.

Monroe and KYB both offer decent OEM equivalent for a lot of cars and I’ve used both in other cars. My Odyssey is sporting Monroe’s in the back that cost $50 for the pair as I recall. I did the replacement myself, which was stupid easy (like 15 minutes for both sides... the top mount doesn’t go through the body... just bolts to the fender well) and I kept the receipt and box label so I’ll never have to spend that $$$ again... and I expect to have the van long enough to wear out the rear shocks 1-2 more times. Given I’ll do the struts myself and it’s not hard... but 10x the work of the rear shocks, I’ll probably do OEM or KYB on there.

If you want the OEM ride and longevity... OEM is pretty hard to beat.

OP
OP
Maxara Faxa

Maxara Faxa

First Name
Maxara
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Thanks for your replies guys. And yes I do sport Michelin tires and they make a huge difference!

I had a mechanic suggest Monroe sensor tracks, but I dont know if they have anything available for the civic. I might just get newer oem shocks. I remember I replaced the front drivers side once after hitting a mean pothole.... the replacement just on that one side made the whole car feel like its driving brand new! I got 52k miles on the car btw.

NonyaBisness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
Thanks for your replies guys. And yes I do sport Michelin tires and they make a huge difference!

I had a mechanic suggest Monroe sensor tracks, but I dont know if they have anything available for the civic. I might just get newer oem shocks. I remember I replaced the front drivers side once after hitting a mean pothole.... the replacement just on that one side made the whole car feel like its driving brand new! I got 52k miles on the car btw.
damn dude do you target every pothole? I've owned more then 1 car that was on factory original shocks at 200k miles that where still in decent shape, I know NYC roads are shit but t hey can't be that bad.

OP
OP
Maxara Faxa

Maxara Faxa

First Name
Maxara
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
damn dude do you target every pothole? I've owned more then 1 car that was on factory original shocks at 200k miles that where still in decent shape, I know NYC roads are shit but t hey can't be that bad.

Lol, dude you have no clue. I'm an uber driver, so I'm practically up and down these streets everyday. The types of "potholes" I've seen shouldn't even be characterized as pothole. They are freaking craters lol imagine driving over a sewer manhole cover, but without the cover. I swear I never heard a loader bang in my life. That's an instant rim, tire, and strut replacement. Plus the never ending construction, cobble stone roads. I mean... my stock shocks arent in the worst shape. I just wouldn't mind spending a few extra buck for something better.

nickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Country flag
Honda paid Engineers millions of dollars to figure out the best combination of spring rate for comfortability and handling.

Stay OE.

You're not going to get much better of a ride than stock. Replace the strut strut mount tie rod ends lower control arm ball joint (am I missing anything?) In the front.
Oh! And stabilizer bar bushings
Then change the same in the rear.

This will put the vehicle back to stock drivability.

I agree with the suggestions of downgrading to the 16 inch wheels with a tire designed for comfort.
The side walls of the tires act like springs absorbing road imperfections.

Best brand? No clue. Research.

Last edited:

nickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Country flag
P.S.

I drove Uber in my touring and people loved it! Especially at night when I would pull up and they would see the LEDs, and I would always let them know the back seats have seat warmers.

Noize

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2017 GTI SE DSG
Country flag
Honda paid Engineers millions of dollars to figure out the best combination of spring rate for comfortability and handling.

Stay OE.

This quote, as is, is utter truth and the best advice that could be given. So many people waste time and money destroying their cars with springs or coilovers in the name of aesthetics.

I’m done with suspension modification, never had a positive result in years of modifying cars, even with shop set up Ohlins on an Evo. My CTR suspension is stock, and every street car forward will be as well!

This applies to a street car. If you’re on a track dedicated setup, chasing tenths, and your car doesn’t get street driven, disregard.

To the OP, don’t put Monroe SensaTrac garbage in your car. If your shocks are truly toast at 50,000 miles from horrible roads, go back to new OEM, smaller diameter wheels, taller tires. Good luck.

nickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Country flag
To the OP, don’t put Monroe SensaTrac garbage in your car. If your shocks are truly toast at 50,000 miles from horrible roads, go back to new OEM, smaller diameter wheels, taller tires. Good luck.
A higher (larger?) aspect ratio and width also.
Our OE is 215/50/17. If putting 16s on, you may clear 225/55/16.
Just be mindful to check the clearance on the inner diameter so there's no issues with the brake caliper hitting the inside of the wheel; wow turning make sure the tires are not rubbing against the fender liner or any other parts in the wheel well; and also bottom out the suspension to make sure the tires are not hitting the fender on top.

P.S.

You need an alignment after you make the tire swap as new tire dimensions change the camber and toe angles.

To be honest I'm probably going to throw 16 in steelies because I'm always hitting stuff here in Houston.

I think the sacrifice of handling is worth a more comfortable ride and less damage to Wheels tires and other suspension components when the inevitable pothole hits your car. ( because car's don't hit potholes, right? )lol
Sponsored