FC1_BUILTBOOST

First Name
Reuben Zuev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
If finances work out as planned in the next couple weeks, I plan on getting one of the two... looking to get manual transmission for both. I had a sport sedan in the past, and was pretty happy with it, just traded it in for a higher trim level.

Aesthetics wise, new gen corollas look great, but when I bought my sport sedan last year, I test drove a cvt used Corolla (previous body style), and power was lacking, and it seemed pretty small inside compared to the civic.

Being that itā€™s not exactly an easy task to find a MT Corolla, Iā€™m wondering if itā€™s worth my time to drive around Southern California to find one, and test drive?

If anyone has any type of experience with both, or just has some knowledge, Iā€™d appreciate any input.
I test drove the 2020 Civic sport sedan in 6 speed manual at a Honda Dealer and that thing Drove and shifted like a charm almost as fun as my 2019 Civic Si is !
Sponsored

OP
OP
justasimpleman

justasimpleman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 PWP FC1 Si
Country flag
I was on the fence between both, I'm a bigger fellow and the corolla felt a little too cramp for me. Hence why I went with the civic hatch. I've owned various Hondas and Toyotas over the year and it just comes down what you are really looking for.
when I bought my sport sedan early last year, I also test drive a used Corolla. Between the lack of room, and power, the civic was the obvious choice... I wasnā€™t sure how much changed with the new gen Corolla.
Remind her that SI will retain its value better if taken care of.
yup. Something we talked about.
I actually just had this choice, and opted for the Civic Hatch. I just can't deal with the way they have the infotainment screen setup in the Toyota's right now. I hate how it actually sticks up over the dash.
I donā€™t care much for that either.
And with the LSD it better traction in turns that means is safer.
didnt even think about saying thatā€™ll make it safer... good point.

OP
OP
justasimpleman

justasimpleman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 PWP FC1 Si
Country flag
And with the bigger brakes it brakes faster, and with more power it has better capability for emergency maneuvers. In fact I think you can talk her up to a type R :thumbsup: All in the name of safety!
Might have to have a serious conversation with her when I get home from work.

MarshX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If finances work out as planned in the next couple weeks, I plan on getting one of the two... looking to get manual transmission for both. I had a sport sedan in the past, and was pretty happy with it, just traded it in for a higher trim level.

Aesthetics wise, new gen corollas look great, but when I bought my sport sedan last year, I test drove a cvt used Corolla (previous body style), and power was lacking, and it seemed pretty small inside compared to the civic.

Being that itā€™s not exactly an easy task to find a MT Corolla, Iā€™m wondering if itā€™s worth my time to drive around Southern California to find one, and test drive?

If anyone has any type of experience with both, or just has some knowledge, Iā€™d appreciate any input.
I obviously will give my biased answer and say go with the civic lol. I have however driven the 2020 corolla multiple times as my brother is a salesman at a Toyota dealership in SoCal so Iā€™ve been able to get a feel for itā€™s power and handling. Iā€™ve driven 2 sedans and a hatch. All pretty much feel the same and they are indeed an upgrade to their previous gen. I will say that the power is somewhat lacking in the corolla yet the steering is very light. Itā€™s not a slow car by any means but itā€™s not as fun as say a Mazda3 I test drove (which btw has a far superior interior imo)

OP
OP
justasimpleman

justasimpleman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 PWP FC1 Si
Country flag
I obviously will give my biased answer and say go with the civic lol. I have however driven the 2020 corolla multiple times as my brother is a salesman at a Toyota dealership in SoCal so Iā€™ve been able to get a feel for itā€™s power and handling. Iā€™ve driven 2 sedans and a hatch. All pretty much feel the same and they are indeed an upgrade to their previous gen. I will say that the power is somewhat lacking in the corolla yet the steering is very light. Itā€™s not a slow car by any means but itā€™s not as fun as say a Mazda3 I test drove (which btw has a far superior interior imo)
Iā€™ve been a fan of Corollas for a long time, actually owned one about 15 years ago... Iā€™ve really liked the past few (and current) body styles... not as much as I like the x-gen civics. I guess a small part of me wants to give the Corolla a chance, and at least rest drive one... but being possibly this close to the wife agreeing on an si, I gotta run with that. Canā€™t distract her, gotta keep the eye on the prize ?

James3spearchucker

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
when I bought my sport sedan early last year, I also test drive a used Corolla. Between the lack of room, and power, the civic was the obvious choice... I wasnā€™t sure how much changed with the new gen Corolla.
yup. Something we talked about.
I donā€™t care much for that either.
didnt even think about saying thatā€™ll make it safer... good point.
In the rain is where regular traction is generally atrocious like for example driving on urban freeways, the open diff car wants to pull to one side whenever it goes through shallow puddles. It feels like the car is taking the steering wheel out of my hand. And not only is rain traction superior but snow-driving too is far safer. Every now and then the tires you get will not be fantastic so LSD can keep the odds in your favor regardless.

nizarz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX
Country flag

I test drove the Corolla before the Civic test. The corolla is nice. I preferred the civic for a few reasons. The Corollas road noise was awful. I test drove it in the rain and you can hear every puddle and the water spraying the bottom of the vehicle. Civics sound insulation was much better. Second thing was Power. The corolla I found struggled when i joined the highway, had to really step on the gas to get it up the slope onto the highway, the engine was loud inside the cabin. The other thing was the steering feel. The Corolla just felt way too light on the steering, no road feel at all. The civic felt more sold in the feel of the steering and just felt more solid taking turns.

Reliability wise, you cant go wrong with either.

JackOfAllBlades

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Sport 2.0L 6MT Lunar Silver Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
As said test drive the current MY of both to see which will be better for you, as for Corolla we should see the GRMN next year.
Sponsored