Civic Sport Manual vs Civic Si Sedan

philfry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si, 2016 Honda HR-V EX
Country flag
So I had a 2016 Civic a couple years ago and I want to rejoin the club. I test drove a civic sport manual. I felt it is a really good value for what you get. I was satisifed with the power. Has anyone debated between these two? I currently have an 8th gen si. I guess i'm debating if I want the extras in the si and the turbo engine vs saving 4k. I'm having a hard time finding Si sedans in my state. I keep seeing a ton of si coupes but I don't want a coupe. I guess that is why they're going to stop making them. Anyway, think the Si is worth the extra cost? I do live in the northeast and I will have some short drives so worry about the oil dilution problem a little bit.

Edit: Iā€™m looking at sport sedan. I canā€™t find any sport hatchback manuals nearby.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think it all depends on if you want the extra power vs the extra cargo space. I liked the Sport hatch so much I'm already on my second one. Supposedly in a year we might see an Si hatch so....

Drake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si
Country flag
The Si is definitely worth the extra cost, if you are going to use the extra capability it comes with. If you don't usually push your cars all that hard or avoid adding many aftermarket mods then the sport is definitely the best choice

sib2on

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan (Aegean Blue)
Country flag
So I had a 2016 Civic a couple years ago and I want to rejoin the club. I test drove a civic sport manual. I felt it is a really good value for what you get. I was satisifed with the power. Has anyone debated between these two? I currently have an 8th gen si. I guess i'm debating if I want the extras in the si and the turbo engine vs saving 4k. I'm having a hard time finding Si sedans in my state. I keep seeing a ton of si coupes but I don't want a coupe. I guess that is why they're going to stop making them. Anyway, think the Si is worth the extra cost? I do live in the northeast and I will have some short drives so worry about the oil dilution problem a little bit.

i actually had this dilemma myself before settling w/ Si. Wanted the seats...wanted the extra comfort features... and has a greater potential to do stuff to.

justasimpleman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 PWP FC1 Si
Country flag
All up to you and what you want... I went into the dealership in mind of getting a used civic, ended up walking out with a brand new sport. I liked it a lot. But throughout the year, I realized what Iā€™m missing out on as far as extras go, so earlier this year, I went to see what I could trade up for, and walked out with a brand new ex hatch with the extras I wanted... now, Iā€™m realizing I probably could have got an si, so that will be bugging me.... but Iā€™d be a complete dumbass to trade in my hatch for an si at this point.

Just make sure you do your research, and be sure what you want before you sign on the dotted line.

Bates XIV

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
Hey, I traded in a 2017 sport hatchback with a manual for a 2020 Si. You wonā€™t be disappointed if you pick the Sport. The hatchbackā€™s practicality (and styling) is clearly superior, and if you want more power, you can always add some mods. It gets phenomenal mpg, has enough grunt for daily driving, and handles well enough when you push her a little.

The Si obviously has more grunt, particularly in the midrange. The shifter is more notchy, and the throws are shorter (both of which I like). The steering wheel felt smaller too (compared to the hatchback) when I test drove it. What really makes the Si standout is all the other features. CarPlay is such a huge vibe for me. Honda sensing comes standard (most of which you can turn off or ignore if you want), and the xenon headlights are a clear upgrade (sorry to oncoming drivers for the glare). You get a better sound systemā€” it ainā€™t exactly elite, but Iā€™ll take it. The sedanā€™s trunk space is great, so the loss of space compared to the hatchback is minimal. Other little things like keyless entry/push button start, shift lights, heated front seats (seats are also an upgrade), and dual zone climate control also came with the Si, but not the Sport.

All that for a few thousand more over the sport...Itā€™s arguably one of the best bang-for-buck buys on the market. I should be clear that Iā€™m not comparing two 2020 models, but a 2017 Sport to a 2020 Si. IDK what the 2020 Sport comes with.

Hope this helped!

ryox82

First Name
Ernesto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I had trouble getting my Si at the start of the month but honestly, just go with the Si. Last car I got a base auto RSX because it was loads better than my 7th gen Civic LX...and for a little more they wanted me in an 8th Si. I declined because I didn't drive manual. The RSX was just wrecked after about 11 years and I was lucky my friend was the finance manager and was able to trade the car from a Bronx dealer without f*cking me on cost. I have never been happier. Never compromise is the lesson.

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
To replace my 2017 Sport hatch 6mT, I went through the same decision-making process.
Here's the differences:

Civic Si 2020 vs Sport
LSD
more power, lower mpg on paper (real world maybe same)
moonroof (less headroom, a downside for me)
Sport seats
10 speaker 400W stereo vs 8 speaker 160W
1.5" more legroom in sedan vs hatch
heated seats & mirrors
LED headlights
Adaptive dampers
Rear armrest
Better looking wheels (YMMV)

Sport has the hatch, which is just awesome, and is 5" shorter, which I like also. I'd say it looks better but the Si also looks good being slightly lowered and with better wheels.

Considering the Si is only about $2k more than the Sport hatch, it's a no brainer for me, even though I love the hatch. However if you really want a hatch I'd consider waiting a little to see if they announce a hatch Si for 2022.

OP
OP

philfry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hey, I traded in a 2017 sport hatchback with a manual for a 2020 Si. You wonā€™t be disappointed if you pick the Sport. The hatchbackā€™s practicality (and styling) is clearly superior, and if you want more power, you can always add some mods. It gets phenomenal mpg, has enough grunt for daily driving, and handles well enough when you push her a little.

The Si obviously has more grunt, particularly in the midrange. The shifter is more notchy, and the throws are shorter (both of which I like). The steering wheel felt smaller too (compared to the hatchback) when I test drove it. What really makes the Si standout is all the other features. CarPlay is such a huge vibe for me. Honda sensing comes standard (most of which you can turn off or ignore if you want), and the xenon headlights are a clear upgrade (sorry to oncoming drivers for the glare). You get a better sound systemā€” it ainā€™t exactly elite, but Iā€™ll take it. The sedanā€™s trunk space is great, so the loss of space compared to the hatchback is minimal. Other little things like keyless entry/push button start, shift lights, heated front seats (seats are also an upgrade), and dual zone climate control also came with the Si, but not the Sport.

All that for a few thousand more over the sport...Itā€™s arguably one of the best bang-for-buck buys on the market. I should be clear that Iā€™m not comparing two 2020 models, but a 2017 Sport to a 2020 Si. IDK what the 2020 Sport comes with.

Hope this helped!
Thanks. This helps. I think I was thinking I would be content and woul save a good amount. However I feel like I would probably regret not going all in. The 2020 civic sport has CarPlay. I do think the extras are worth it. Unfortunately finding a civic si sedan means traveling a few hours. I only see 1 available in my state.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Hope this helped!
2020 Sport has almost all of what you mentioned now. Even leather inserts in the seats and leather door and center armrest. Sound system is now 8 speaker with the upgraded head unit, push button, and sensing standard. The problem would be finding a manual Sport hatch anymore. They were SUPER hard to find when they first came out.

kimtyson

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Blue Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Apple Honda in York has a Modern Steel Metalic Si sedan. I bought a 2018 EXT coupe (because I am in the 6% who prefer them) and now I am trying to get an Si. They are a great vehicle and value.

OP
OP

philfry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Apple Honda in York has a Modern Steel Metalic Si sedan. I bought a 2018 EXT coupe (because I am in the 6% who prefer them) and now I am trying to get an Si. They are a great vehicle and value.
Oh wow already gone.

kimtyson

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Blue Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Oh wow already gone.
Wow! It was there last night when I posted. I checked first. Sorry.
Ebersole and Rahal have one each.

Go here: https://automobiles.honda.com/tools...s=civic-si-sedan&modelYear=2020&zipcode=16601
Edit the location using local zips. Here's my list.
Harrisburg 17112
Towson 21022
Frederick 21701
Hagerstown 21740
Sykesville 21784
westminster 21157
glen burnie 21060
Bowie 21715
columbia 21029
Dundalk 21222
white marsh 21128
Aberdeen 21001
gettysburg 17325
breezewood 15533
altoona 16601
sellingsgrove 17870
hazelton 18201
Pottsville 17901
Lebanon 17042
Reading 19602
Lancaster 17602
Pottstown 19464
West Chester 19380
Doylestown 18901
Wilmington 19801
Dover 19901
Stroudsburg 18360

OP
OP

philfry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Wow! It was there last night when I posted. I checked first. Sorry.
Ebersole and Rahal have one each.

Go here: https://automobiles.honda.com/tools...s=civic-si-sedan&modelYear=2020&zipcode=16601
Edit the location using local zips. Here's my list.
Harrisburg 17112
Towson 21022
Frederick 21701
Hagerstown 21740
Sykesville 21784
westminster 21157
glen burnie 21060
Bowie 21715
columbia 21029
Dundalk 21222
white marsh 21128
Aberdeen 21001
gettysburg 17325
breezewood 15533
altoona 16601
sellingsgrove 17870
hazelton 18201
Pottsville 17901
Lebanon 17042
Reading 19602
Lancaster 17602
Pottstown 19464
West Chester 19380
Doylestown 18901
Wilmington 19801
Dover 19901
Stroudsburg 18360
Wow thatā€™s really helpful thanks.

kimtyson

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Blue Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Wow thatā€™s really helpful thanks.
Happy to help. I'm searching for a blue Si coupe and figured out this method. There may be other ways to do it but I don't know what they are. Good luck. Maybe we can do a meet up once we both find our cars.
Sponsored